_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
F-89 in Idaho ANG colors
M4Nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC
I was wondering if anyone knows what the correct color for the F-89B in Idaho Air National Gaurd. Squadron's F-89 in action book shows it in black with yellow trim and stars. The Academy kit of it (at least the box cover photo) looks like black with white trim and stars. The only problem with the kit box photo is that the blue in the national insignias looks like they are also black. I think the photo was a black and white that was colorized. Also if the Academy kit decals are correct , is there anyone willing to give away or sell their set. I already have a couple of F-89 kits and don't want to pick up another just for decals.
Eric
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
Eric,

The real aircraft (the one I have seen) is overall natural metal with matte black tail, nose and the tips of the wing fuel tanks. I seem to recall the stripes separating the metal and black finish are yellow and the small stars are either yellow or white. The national insignia is Blue, White and Red.

Aeromaster decals has this aircraft its # 48-519 pt.1 and it's still available (they have a white stripe separating the metal and black). In all honesty there could have been variations within the 124th Fighter Interceptor Group.

If you would like I can go to the Park in Nampa where one is located in this paint scheme and post some pictures here on the thread. But be warned the plane has been on a stand for years.

Sincerely,

Brian
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi Eric,

Did not hear from you but here is the F-89 that has been on display for over twenty years. It is indeed Black and Yellow.

I strongly believe there were different colors to identfy which section within the squadron or maybe two separate squadrons, which would explain the white verses yellow.

The ultimate way to find out would be to pay the Idaho State Military Museum a visit. But that's for another day. I want to thank you for the inquiry. My son loved taking a trip to see a "Big Army Airplane" :-)

I think your okay to model either version. I hope this helps you some.

Sincerely,

Brian
M4Nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 09:43 AM UTC
Brian,
Thanks for the pics. Didn't realize someone did the decals for the kit . Problem is I plan on building in it 1/72. That's the big problem I've found, no one makes any new decals for 1/72 F-89s.
Eric
 _GOTOTOP