_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Model of the Month (MOM) March 2006
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
Post your entries for the MOM for March here.

Please read the following.
1. Do not forget to add information about the model, voters will be encouraged to check this out before voting and it may influence thier vote. New.......please put the info about you model in one place. I will only copy the first set of information to put in the gallery, so if you add a piece before each picture only the first part (above the first pic) will be copied.
2. Only post 3 pics, no composits and no pics of real aircraft (even for comparison)
3. Any model of an aircraft, from any era in any scale is elligable
4. Entry will be open until the 15th
5. [b]Please comply with this (NEW), slight change this month

Please rename your pics using a number followed by your CALLSIGN. By this I mean the file name, this is because:
a. When I copy the pics into a folder on my hard drive I have to copy them with the original filename (so I can't change them when I copy them )
b. so that they stay together in the gallery and so that I don't have to name each pic and so they appear in the order in which they were posted I have to re-name each pic with the members callsign. You may imagine what it's like trying to get the 3 pics from each member together (50-60 pics in total with all sorts of file names and some not matching their mates).

So if you use a file name that begins with a number and has your Callsign you will save me about 2 hours work

For example my 3 pics could be 001Holdfast, 002Holdfast and 003Holdfast. I hope this is clear

Lets see if we can get an even better turn out this month and for the comming year.

Rather than wait until midnight on the 31st (which means I won't actually get to tally the votes until the following day after 19.00) I will tally the votes after 19.00 on the 31st. So voting will close at 19.00 7.00pm Friday 31st March.

Just incase you were wondering, if you have a Spitfire model, you can enter it in both the MOM for March and the special Spitfire 70th Aniversary MOM. Although I would tend to discourage that, or you can post in either, it's up to you although it would be great to see as many Spitfire models as possible in the Spitfire 70 MOM
Mal
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
Eduard 1/48 Albatros Dv in the markings of Bruno Loerzer
Oberleutnant, Commander, Jasta 26.

From http://www.pourlemerite.org/wwi/air/loerzer.html

He was award the Pour le Mérite for distinguished military service, leadership, and his 20th aerial victory.

Born January 22, 1891 in Berlin
Jasta 26, Jasta 3
44 Victories
Awards: Iron Cross, Pour le Mérite, Hohenzollern Ritter Kreuz

The following bio was provided by Stephen Luczkowski:
Bruno Loerzer was born on 22 Jan. 1891 in Berlin. He was a cadet with the Baden 112th. Inf. rgt. before attending Military School in Potsdam..after graduation he returned to his old unit and was commissioned a Leutnant 1913. He was very interested in early aviation...after taking flying lessons..he was hooked.and quickly volunteered for service with the air corp. He was accepted and shortly after the First World War broke out in August l914. It was during a visit to another fellow officer from the 112th. RGT. who was in the Hospital...a Hermann Goring...that he convinced his friend to join him in the Air Corp. The two friends would be linked together for the balance of the war ..and beyond. In 1915..both Bruno and Hermann flew together as observers.. on observation missions. They were both hungry for action..Bruno trained as a fighter pilot..and was first assigned to the Boelcke Squadron ..where he learned a great deal from the great Boelcke. In March 1916..he scored his first victory...and then a second . Shortly after he was wounded..upon recovery he returned to his old unit. He was awarded the Iron Cross in 1917..as well as the Hohenzollern Ritter Kreuz..and of course a wound badge.

In January 1917 he was assigned the task of forming the Fighter Squadron 26...they fought the British and French..it was in this unit that he flew missions with his brother Fritz...who was known as the flying pastor. When Bruno Loerzer scored his 20th. victory he was awarded Germany's highest military award.the Pour Le Merite..it was awarded on Febuary 12th.1918. Three days later he was given command of Fighter Squadron 111...on Sept.2,1918..the squadron shot down 26 enemy planes without a single lo-ss..to the squadron. Field-Marshal von Hindenburg sent him a telegram congratulating him on his outstanding combat achievements. Bruno Loerzer scored 44 total victories and finished the war as the number 7 surviving ace..right after Ernst Udet. His friend Goring..also when on to become a fighter ace..winning the Blue Max...he ended his career as the Leader of the Richthofen Squadron. After the war ....both Bruno and Hermann were instrumental in re-establishing the New German Luftwaffe...Hermann as head of Air forces picked his old friend Bruno Loerzer to be the President of the DLV...a for-runner of the Luftwaffe. Bruno went on to Command units in the Second World War...especially during the Battle of Britian..and the Italian campaign...he was awarded the Ritter Kreuz in1940....he was promoted to General-Colonel on Feb.16th.1943...in 1944 he was made head of Luftwaffe Personnel. He was often seen in the company of his old friend Reich-Marshal Goring.

Bruno is often seen in photo's from Adolf Hitler's headquarters at Raustenburg..in East Prussia. Bruno was able to escape to Bavaria in early 1945..he was captured at Berchtesgarden...by American forces. He was kept in a military prisoner-of -war camps until 1947..one of which was Dachau..the infamous death-camp..converted to house German military personnel. In 1947 as a cilivian he settled in Hamburg...where he remained till his death..on Aug.8th.1960...at the time of his death..he was the highest Pour le Merite winner from WW1. One side note...during the Nuremburg trails he was asked to be a character wittness for Reich-Marshal GORING...Bruno politely refused....the spell that Hermann Goring had over him had finally come to an end along with the Third Reich.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
Heres my contribution to MOM.
Its the Airfix MK1 Hurricane built OOB in the markings of Robert Stanford Tuck.
Painted with Humbrol Enamels,oil/turps washes.The exhausts and machine gun ports were drilled out and powder/exhaust stains are pastel dust. Ariels are smoke coloured thread.
Kit went together well with a minimum of filling.

Thanks for looking and good luck to everyone
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
A 1/72 scale F-14, I don't remember the manufacturer but I think it might be Hasegawa. It is build completely out of the box, I think it was painted using Humbrol and the decals are from the kit. There are no additions or improvements.

Mal
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
My first Aircraft MOM entry.

It is a UH-1H MedEvac Huey, "Dust-Off", form Vietnam. It started life as a 1/35 Panda UH-1D/H model. I corrected some of the deficiencies in the kit, namely a lot of holes for incorrect antennas for a Vietnam helo. I also used the excellent Cobra Company UH-1 Detail/ Correction Set, #3511 to replace much of the detail-less and out of scale interior parts.

Most of the cabin interior detail is scratched built. The crew seats in the rear were modified from UH-60 troop seats, the door gunner seats were widened and new, in scale legs were added. The litters are scratched from sheet and rod styrene and lead foil. The hoist is a modified piece from the Academy MH-60G kit. Pilots are from the DML Vietnam Helo Crew set. Seat belts are all made from lead foil. One crewman will be in the back and another in a surprise position when completed and in a dio. I made the "57" red crosses and "The Originals" decals myself as well.

More here.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
This is Smer kit of a Mig 17F in Nigerian markings. The main coat of the plane was painted in Alclad 2 aluminium with duraluminium, jet exhaust and pale burnt metal added after. The decals are by Carpena.
The kit was built OOB and was a lot of fun.

Thanks for looking, Andy (++)
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

This is a my Photo Recon Mosquito. It a Monogram 1/48th oob and painted with model master paints.

sincerely,
Brian
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
For this months entry, Italeri's 1/35 Cobra. 80% of the cockpit was re-worked, scratchbuilt the oil cooler under the fuselage. Scribed in a few missing panel lines and added on the slime light panels. I made un-armed, I like the look. The 7 shot rocket launchers were made and used the ends of the TOW system, drill them a bit larger and made up the rest using Evergreen plastic. Painted in a two tone Marine gray, and washed in a dark gray oil. The decals are from Twobobs and the rotor tie-back straps were made from tracing paper painted in flat red. The main and tail rotors were overhauled, missing detail added. The 20 mm cannon was made from Evergreen plastic rods. The molded on navagation lights were cut off and replaced with clear one found in my parts box. Also the (HSS) helmet sight subsystem was added on the canopy above the cockpit.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Here's my entry for this month (two MOMs in a row)! :-)

It is a Grumman Goose (SwAF designation Tp 81) in 1/72! The kit is from Sword, and the Swedish decals are from BenMik. I have scratch built quite a few areas, in particular the ski suspension.

The ambulance aircraft in northern Sweden used an all orange paint scheme so that they could be easily located in case of emergency landings etc., especially during the wintertime. I used mainly Tamiya Acrylics, and muffled the orange (X-6) with some brown and a tad of red. Pre-shading was made with dark brown and I washed the panel lines with some water mixable oil paints from W&N. The antennas were made from 0.04 mm fly-fishing line and stretched sprue respectively.

More pictures and info about the model, the figures and the snow can be found here.

Cheers!
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:32 AM UTC
Here's my entry for MoM March 2006. After skipping last month's tourney (I can't beleive how busy life keeps getting!)I wanted to definitely make sure I got onboard for March!
This is the new Hasegawa 1:48 F/A-18E Super Hornet which was recently released, and the subject of an IPMS/USA review article. It's built OOB, and all markings are decals from the kit (!). A sweet kit indeed, and a pleasure to build. The model depicts the CAG bird from VFA-27 "Royal Maces" while embarked onboard USS Kitty Hawk . The resin figure is from CMK, and the flight deck is from Custom Dioramics. Airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics with an Iwata HP-C (The plane, not the figure!). Enjoy!

Cheers,
James

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi all!

Here's my entry for this month's MOM: Heller's (ex Ocidental) 1/48 T-6 G "Texan" in French markings (Algeria 1961).
The kit was easy to build but some details had to be added to obtain a decent representation of the real plane. I used mainly Tamiya Acrylics and Klear (Future) over Humbrol's Aluminium from their Metal Coat range. The decals looked good but were very brittle. It was a real nightmare to put the pieces of the sharkmouth decoration together! Weathering was done with pre-shading, pastels and paint shipping.
The base was made of left-over resin. Sand was put on it with white glue and then painted and drybrushed. The grass is a mix of railroad grass also glued with white glue.

Jean-Luc
F-4E
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 556 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi everyone...This is Heller kit of a DC-6,but its converted to C-54 TUAF...dekals are PM model and dry transfer markings...paint are humbrol and revell....
best regards
Izzet

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC
OK, Magically, the pictures are back :-) If I'm not too late...

Tamiya's recent 1/48 boxing of the buffalo - pacific theater. Painted with a mix of PollyScale and Tamiya acrylic paints. Flat coat is PollyScale's excellent flat. Pretty much out of box except for some scratch built seatbelts and true detail tires. Antennae wire is clear monofilament 'thread.' Chipping done with silver pencil. In the boxing there is a sweet surprise of tamiya masking tape printed with the canopy design on it; you just use a ruler cut along the lines and easy canopy masks. Anyway...

Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
Because the gallery has been down I'm gonna leave entry open a while longer.
Mal
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
I couldn't find the gallery and my personal gallery is down somehow too. I know I am a little late but I wish to join if it is still possible so I post my photoes here.

Kit is Revell 1/72 Messerschmitt P1011 Nacht Jager. I built it mainly OOB and did some replacements onthe radar antennas with metal rod. I tried an experimental Nacht camo with rlm 76 over rlm 74 on the right side and the opposite on the left side.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi All,

Monogram's Do-17Z, I think this model was one of the first five models I ever built, bought from a drug store where Pactra paints were still sold in the tall, thin bottles.

Not quite OOB. Using Plastruct pieces, resin items and other things I detailed the cockpit, added the flightcrew, and used Italeri MGs in lieu of the kit guns. Painted with Polly Scale paints and decaled with kit's and a variety of others to represent the Balkans and Crete campaign.

Finally flung into the air with a skeet tosser for the dramatic aerial shot, she never came back down...

Mal, did I label these properly?

JPTRR001

JPTRR002

JPTRR003

...she's up there somewhere, up there still...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hi Fred

Quoted Text

Mal, did I label these properly?

Errr no and no
1. Number (001etc) first followed by your callsign.
2. It's the file name that requires this title. If you right click over your first pic the select "properties" (at the bottom) and look at the file name at the top of the dialogue box you will see the file name is Pfalz_D_XII_wings_7_edited1.JPG It is this that should read, for example, 001JPTRR
You can imagine how confusing this can get when I have to edit 50-60 Titles
Mal
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Here is my first entry to the MoM of Armorama

It is the Tamiya Focke-Wulf 190 A-8/R2 in the markings of Wilhelm Moritz. I added Eduard seat belts and Aires elevators and rudder (for easier and faster finish)

Unfortunately I lost one of the "Scheuklappen" (canopy side armour glas) so I will have to add them on a later date, when I got a 2nd kit or someone who has the part left over from his build has a kind soul and give it to me.... strangely I always screw something up on a kit

Edit: I had to replace the pictures as I forgot the yellow under side of the cowl

best wishes

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP