_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Dual in the Sky Campaign
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
This might be a tad too early, but I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of a possible mate for the Duel in the Sky campaign. :-)

I've got a large selection of 48th scale Italian, Russian and FAA models that would love a partner. Or if anyone would like, I could serve up my Vichy LN 401 up on a platter for some allied mediterranian fighter.

Frank
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hey Frank,

When I first signed up for duel in the sky I thought a "pencil" and "pencil eraser" combo would be kind of cool...Mig 3 and Do17...it would give me an excuse to try out an old Hobbycraft kit? Check out the aviation art of Stan Stokes...

Nigel
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi all.
This campaign had passed me by until recently but Im now all signed up.
Im building WW2 fighters mainly. Ive got a couple of German fighters and more than a couple of Spitfires,including a Seafire in my stash,plus a P47 bubble top if anyone fancys their chances
Suggestions welcome as Im open to offers.Anything with a propeller from WW2 in 1/72.
How about something a little different, if I build my 109 in markings for the Norwegian campaign anyone got a Gladiator?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Just a spelling note here, but "Dual" means two, like the P-38 is a dual engined airplane. "Duel" is a contest between two participants, like we duel at dawn with pistols at 10 paces.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:10 PM UTC

I signed up for this one ages ago. Lookinmg at the stash I see mainly targets :-) BUT

Tamiya 1/48 FW 190 D9 - which is what I really want to do next - with the red & white belly

Revell 1/32 FW 190 F8 - might have to drop the bombs before a dogfight

Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel F1 if someone wants to go the WW1 route

Academy 1/48 Bf109-G14 - France 1945 or some aircraft from Italian? service in March 1945 - decals are a bit confusing as it has the German crosses on but Italian Flags as well. Might need to research that a bit.

Somehow I don't think the fiesler Storch or the Swordfish will make it into this campaign.

So any other participants looking for the other half of a duel let me know if any of the above suit.

Brian
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 04:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Somehow I don't think the fiesler Storch or the Swordfish will make it into this campaign.

Hi Brian!

They do! This campaign is not only for fighters. A reco or bomber can also enter a duel. For example FW 190 "Sturmbock" against B-17 or B-24, "Raiden" against B-29, "Stuka" against Spitfire or Hurricane during BOB, Do 17 against MS 406 etc...
We can also allow "What if" duels with a Curtiss XP 55 Ascender against a German Luft'46 design. Why not?

I am tempted to do My 1/32 Battle Axe Fokker D-VII for this Campaign... maybe something for your Camel Brian!
Nigel, if your Do17 fought during the "Bataille de France" I could build a MS 406, a Bloch 152 or a Dewoitine D 520...

I would also like to build Mirage Hobby's new PZL P23. I don't have the kit yet but it is only a matter of time! Everyone interested in a Bf 109D or E in early war markings?

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hi Jean Luc.
Ive got the Tamiya 1/72 109 E-3,which comes with decals for JG54,Autumn 1940 France,and JG77,Norway 1940.
Also the Academy 1/72 109E which comes with markings for 3 early types,but as all the instructions are in Korean I will have to do a bit a research to identify the different Jagdegeswader.
Fancy a dogfight?
Nigel
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC
:-) I've been a sneeky boy. Got myself a partner a couple of weeks ago.

My son (age 11) also wants to do this campaign. It'll will be his second campaign so far. If no one minds working with a kid he's available as a partner. If not, I'll build something to go along and be his opponent.
He currently has 4 or 5 kits in his stash but since he has more money in the piggy bank than me, buying another kit to use for this campaign shouldn't be a problem.
If anyone is interested, his callsign is LilAviator. You can PM him or me.

Thanks,
Hermon
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
If anyone is interested in building a 1/72 Soviet post WWII aircraft (preferably Mig 15, but just about anything will do) in the Baltic command for this campaign, please feel free to contact me!

Cheers!
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
I'd really like to do the LN401 in Vichy markings, but I'm wondering what sort adversary this would have. Allied Mediterranian fighters?

If anyone is interested, let me know.

P.S. For fear of further ridicule from the warden, can anyone access the thread title and change the word Dual to Duel ( that will teach me to mind my P's and Q's)

Frank
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jean Luc.
Ive got the Tamiya 1/72 109 E-3,which comes with decals for JG54,Autumn 1940 France,and JG77,Norway 1940.
Also the Academy 1/72 109E which comes with markings for 3 early types,but as all the instructions are in Korean I will have to do a bit a research to identify the different Jagdegeswader.
Fancy a dogfight?
Nigel

Hi Nigel!

If you have markings for a Bf 109 in september 1939 or in mai/june 1940, I'm your man! In the first case I'll build a PZL P.23, in the second case a French Fighter: MS 406, MB 152, D 520, VG 33, FK 58, C 714... wait! Not the Caudron! It is reserved for the "Fighter under the Midnight Sun" Campaign!
Frank, a LN 401 in "traditional" markings would have faced Luftwaffe or Regia Aeronautica planes. But in Vichy markings? British carrier based fighters? Sea Gladiator or Sea Hurricanes maybe... I'll check the few refs I have.
Björn, my little finger tells me you are searching an opponent for a Swedish plane! "Cold War" era?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi there

I wil definitely skip this campaign because I'm afraid I'd only let my dogfight partner down. I just dont have the time to guarantee finishing a build and I'd hate to deprive anyone else of a medal by my failing to finish.

But I really look forward to seeing some spectacular "Dogfight Doubles"!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

I knew this one wasn't something for you! :-) Sorry... but you can still help us with your knowledge!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
Jean Luc.
I will build one of my 109's.
Ive started looking for a decal set as all I have at the moment is Battle of Britain era,how different are these colour schemes to late 1939 up until June 1940?
Found a decal set that might be suitable.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=EAG7250
When /where are you thinking? Pre May 10th?
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

To make things simple:
Polish Campaign (mainly D and E-1's) = RLM 70 + RLM 71 camo with RLM 65 underside (Upper camo goes low on fuselage sides)
Bataille de France (mainly E-1 and E-3's) = RLM 02 + RLM 71 camo with RLM 65 underside (Underside color goes high on fuselage sides)
Battle Of Britain (E-3 and E-4's) = RLM 02 + RLM 71 camo with RLM 65 underside (Underside color goes high on fuselage sides but is covered with splotches)

On the decal sheet you linked to, the first decoration would allow a Bf 109/PZL P.23 Duel (Polish Campaign).
The second, though based in Northern Germany in 1940, would be Ok for a duel with French planes I think.
The third and fourth planes (E-4) were based in France but probably after the "Bataille de France" and probably used during the Battle Of Britain.
If I find something else I'll tell you...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC
Jean Luc

Quoted Text

On the decal sheet you linked to, the first decoration would allow a Bf 109/PZL P.23 Duel (Polish Campaign).
The second, though based in Northern Germany in 1940, would be Ok for a duel with French planes I think.

Ok,,I will "tag" the decal sheet for now.The first two schemes are marked as an E3 which will tie in nicely with my Tamiya 109.
I will be ordering a decal sheet for my P47 from Hannants in a couple of weeks and I will add the 109 decal sheet to the order unless we find something else before then.
Both early schemes are fine with me,so you get to choose which campaign.Im sure the 2nd one will be ok for the early part of the French campaign.
Best of all,,no mottle ,,Im doing a 190D at the moment which is mottle city!!
My poor brain is getting fried but its looking great for my airbrushing skills,(or lack of them),, :-)
Over to you,
see you in the skies
Nige
PS,,why dont we do a joint one day build?
Wait,,,,did I really just suggest that???
Help,,the people in white coats are coming to get me !
Nice jacket,,and I love the wrap around sleeves,,,very chic!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS,,why dont we do a joint one day build?
Wait,,,,did I really just suggest that???
Help,,the people in white coats are coming to get me !
Nice jacket,,and I love the wrap around sleeves,,,very chic!

See you in the cooler mate, iv'e been thinking about doing one of them too. Wonder how many mad people would go for a 12 hour group build :-) .
Andy (++)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi Andy

Quoted Text

See you in the cooler mate, iv'e been thinking about doing one of them too. Wonder how many mad people would go for a 12 hour group build .
Andy

That would be insane,and also a lot of fun.
I guess Id have to invest in some acrylics and swag the girlfriends hair dryer or use the oven to dry paint quickly.
Personally,,I think its an ideal way to turn into a gibbering wreck in a day!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy

Quoted Text

See you in the cooler mate, iv'e been thinking about doing one of them too. Wonder how many mad people would go for a 12 hour group build .
Andy

That would be insane,and also a lot of fun.
I guess Id have to invest in some acrylics and swag the girlfriends hair dryer or use the oven to dry paint quickly.
Personally,,I think its an ideal way to turn into a gibbering wreck in a day!

Hi all!

I think all this is Frank Portela's (Clanky44) fault! Don't send the doctors to me please!
Anyway, I would suggest a 24 hour build rather than a 12 hour. Remember we have members all over the planet at Armorama! We just have to find out an appropriate date... maybe December 24th?

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC
Well, since there is little interest in anyone doing the campaign with my son, I'll do one with him as his opponent. Will there be a problem with that Jean-Luc, since I'm already doing this campaign with another person?

Thanks,
Hermon
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Frank,

Quoted Text

I'd really like to do the LN401 in Vichy markings, but I'm wondering what sort adversary this would have. Allied Mediterranian fighters?

I know some of the early Loire Nieuport 411/401s were carrier based and flew from the Bearn, but where would the Vichy planes have flown from and what time frame? Battle for Malta, North Africa, Italy?...what about a Royal Navy Martlet MkIII or maybe an oddball like the LN401, a Fairey Fulmar in Operation Torch markings?...N
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, since there is little interest in anyone doing the campaign with my son, I'll do one with him as his opponent. Will there be a problem with that Jean-Luc, since I'm already doing this campaign with another person?

Thanks,
Hermon

Hi Hermon!

Ooops! Seems your first post was overlooked by me... and others obviously!
- First, there are three month before the Campaign starts so there is still plenty of time to find an opponent for Lilaviator...
- Second, you can make a duel with your son and another duel with someone else... no problem. But remember, you only get one Ribbon! I plan myself to do more than one if I can.
- Third, I will allow some "ménage à trois!" Usually not a good thing, it is necessary for mathematical and practical reasons. Let me explain:
if there is an uneven number of participants, at least one would be unable to find a "duelist". So why not start a "duel" with three planes (I know a "duel" with "three" is impossible, but you know what I mean don't you? ) Of course I won't allow "Duels" with four planes as this would make two duels... do you understand me? Remember I'm French!
So Hermon, no need to be concerned about not finding an opponent for your son. If he wants to build a Bf 109 or a French WW2 plane, he can make a "ménage à trois" with Nigel (Lampie) and me for example... "en tout bien tout honneur" of course!
Maybe he could tell us what aircraft he wants to build?

Jean-Luc
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC
LilAviator, I've got an RAF/ RAAF Brewster buffalo I've been itching to build...what about some IJN fighter or bomber over Burma or the Dutch East Indies?...N
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Frank,

Quoted Text

I know some of the early Loire Nieuport 411/401s were carrier based and flew from the Bearn, but where would the Vichy planes have flown from and what time frame? Battle for Malta, North Africa, Italy?...what about a Royal Navy Martlet MkIII or maybe an oddball like the LN401, a Fairey Fulmar in Operation Torch markings?...N

Hi Frank and Nigel!

Frank, could you tell us what is written on the instructions about the "Vichy" LN 401? I would like to know were the plane from the kit's boxart was based.
I read that the remaining LN 401s (eight machines) were transfered in 1940 to North Africa with six LN 411s. They were stored in Bizerte-Karouba because the 2AB and 4AB squadrons were equipped with Glenn 167Fs. Finally they were destroyed (bombed) by the allies in 1943 after the German invasion of Tunisia.

Jean-Luc
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Here is the historical description...

'LN-40 No.1/SR-46, Flight Training School at St.-Raphael. The aircraft in this appearance fell onto German hands in November 1942. ( The markings are suitable from the summer of 1942 to November 1942)'

Additional comments... 'On June 27th, after the French government capitulated, the aircraft of the two units (15 surviving LN 401 and 411) flew to North Africa. They served in the Vichy Air Force in Africa and in free France.'
 _GOTOTOP