Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Academy P-38 'Glacier Girl'
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
Can this P-38 F be easily converted to an XP-38?, It seems that the lower nacelles are the same?

Ant thoughts or advice would be appreciated in advance...

Steve
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
You may wish to do some comparing on this website ? "Glacier Girl" is a P-38F, I think you'll find the nacelles are a little "beefier" to allow for the bigger engines, but you may be able to "lean" them out to make a XP-38 look.

http://p-38online.com/xp38.html
Check out other configurations at bottom of the page.
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:20 PM UTC
It's possible to convert P-38F into an XP-38 but it won't be easy. Almost everything needs to be changed. Looking at D&S P-38 book, the shape are slightly different on both aircraft. It looks like the XP-38 boom are more tapered towards the rear and the engine are more wider and deeper. The center fuselage of the P-38F are more tapered towards the rear. Canopy, landing gear, radiator, oil cooler, exhaust, spinners, props, nose, panel lines has to be changed.
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's possible to convert P-38F into an XP-38 but it won't be easy. Almost everything needs to be changed. Looking at D&S P-38 book, the shape are slightly different on both aircraft. It looks like the XP-38 boom are more tapered towards the rear and the engine are more wider and deeper. The center fuselage of the P-38F are more tapered towards the rear. Canopy, landing gear, radiator, oil cooler, exhaust, spinners, props, nose, panel lines has to be changed.

Yes, now that I really look at it, it seems a little too ambitious. I didn't realize how many major modificatons this design was subjected to during its evolution.

Steve
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC
Wow! what a project to backdate. Certainly would be an eye opener. What makes me curious about this aircraft is the markings. I know the people that retrieved the plane came up with "Glacier Girl" But I would like to know what the real markings were when it was on that faithful flight.
The web site for it mentioned the ultimate goal of the project is for the plane to fly the route again and land in Scotland as originally planned thus completing its journey. Not that I have any stake in it but I'm kinda torn about that.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP