_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduards Neiuport 11
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Fantastic work Miguel. The rigging always scares me off on those small rickety old birds.
With all the good advice and techniques i keep learning about these wooden wonders i might one day try one :-) .
Andy
mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi, to everybody.

Lars, I'm thinking about the fine strips of the masking tape in order to make the pre-sharing paint method. I have tried it the last week but the results are not satisfactory. Please Lars, Could you say me the best method to make the fine strips on the masking tape?
I would like trying your process of painting on the wings.(pre-sharing process).

Thanks Lars, and best regards from Spain.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi everybody, especially you Miguel

I´ve had been away for a trip a couple of days with my family. It’s TLC-time (Tender Caring Love)

You having problem with the thin strips of tape, Miguel. I’ll try to give new explanation of the subject.
Here is what you need;
•A good surface to cut on, I use a cuttingmat from the local Hobbyshop.
•New sharp blades for the hobbyknife
•A steelruler
•Scotch maskingtape( Painters tape)
•Always good references of the model

The technique goes like this
Stick a bit of tape on the cuttingsurface, if you need you can measure up the lines with a pen. I do not. Put the knife against the ruler and gently cut the strip you need. I always cut one strip at the time.

Try to put two new blades together with a little tape; you got equal thickness of the strip.

Lift the strip up with a tweezer and apply it to the model. The strip of tape is easy to bend round corners (wingtips), just press it down with a toothpick and bend. Make sure that the tape is pressed down properly

Hopefully this gives you more info on the way to make preshaded wings
You probably got a bad surface to cut on, or bad tape, not fresh blades.
Ops, your early question..
You may need to clean up the wings from the residue from the tapeglue, do what with Benzine after painting the shadings. Do this 24hours later, so the colour doesn’t go away to.

Cheers
Lars
mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
Thank you very much Lars, your method is fantastic. Let me try. With this nice explanation about your method I think that I don´t have any apology, in order to try it. Thank you very much for your great review.
You need to have patient with me due to my inexperenced.
Best regards Lars, and I hope to see you again.

Chao.
 _GOTOTOP