_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F6F-5 Hellcat
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
This is the Hasegawa 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat, painted with Xtracolour paints, kit decals were used, apart from the stars and bars and tail stripes, which were painted and masked. Although I know that the finish on this aircraft should be gloss, I'm considering finishing it in semi-gloss or even matt. I think that the conditions that these planes operated in they would not stay gloss for very long. What do you think?

Mal
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC
very nice work, nice masking and painting of the national markings too, I do think you should dull her up some, the conditons she operated in, salt spray, constant combat missions, and from pictures I have seen pacific ac look pretty rough and tough

Bender
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 05:30 AM UTC
:-) You can't see it in this pic but I have used an artists oil wash, it was left on for 2 days and when it was wiped off it also had the affect of dulling the finish somewhat. I have thought about using a similar technique to the one I employ for fading desert schemes, with thin light grey paint, but using semi-gloss and matt varnish to give a patchy look. I suppose I could try it and if it aint successful overspray with matt on its own.
Mal
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
If I were you I wouldn't go all the way to matt ,maybe a satin finish ,but not more than that...Why you ask??? Well one of the things you want to show is at the end of the war the planes were glossy so it has to show a bit ...If you know what I mean...And besides you will notice that things don't get matter when oily and grimy they would do the opposite. This is only my opinion..By the way ...really nice plane you got there...Congrats

Richard
Holocaust59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
Even for gloss finished aircraft, a less shiny surface is most definitely preferable in a model. The thing to remember is you are trying to emulate what the aircraft looks like from quite a few feet away when you build a scale model, because of this, painting it gloss would be a terrible mistake. You can simulate the glossiness of the aircraft with shading and even painted reflections or highlights. But if you actually paint it gloss, you're aircraft may be 1/48th scale but your reflections will most definitely not be! Look at your photograph if you don't believe me, when was the last time you saw a reflection of a four hundred foot long window on the side of a warbird?!! Nice model BTW.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
:-) Couldn't agree more, although I don't really subscribe, completely, to the scale paint theory I'm 100% with you on the gloss look. It's the same if you produce a bare metal finish, if it isn't weathered it looks toylike. Thanks Holocaust59.

Any bacon around here?
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
I agree completly about not using a gloss finish ..I did say satin didn't I??

Richard
BornToDig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
A fella on modeling madness.com has a feature on an Italian flying boat (this was posted back in April or May of 2002). You may want to look at that for tips on sea finish. I don't remember exactly what the model was, so you'll need to look around a bit to find it.

Ralph
User_789
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
I like the way you used the decals... I think you could use a thin metal layer as basecolor, so it shows through. Little more weathering shouldn't be wrong.
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:32 AM UTC
Beautiful plane!
One possible approach to dull it down a bit could be pastel chalks. Mixture of grey, dark brown and black rubbed in the surface with a firm brush should give instant results. And you would have good control over the whole thing...
I used this technique for my Sea Cobra helo, and it turned out nice. Not all matt, not all satin but worn look.
Just a suggestion!

Toni
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
Nice Work
I also built a 1/48 Hellcat. The final coat of paint I oversprayed a light mist of white and dark grey to
the top half of the kit. This gave it a faded, worn look. Also, on some of the elevators, I Painted a darker
shade of blue, to simulate repair work to the aircraft. To me, This made the overall look more"used"...
Oberst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
That is a nice looking Hellcat. I am not an aircraft modeller but I recently built one for a friend for a few bucks. It was a 1/32 giant and used a hell of a lot of paint. I am ashamed to admit this lapse into aircraft modelling, I prostituted myself for money.
Andrew
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Oberst, then stop bashing my ME109!!!! At least I built for myself!!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
:-)Hi Aragorn,

Quoted Text

Little more weathering shouldn't be wrong.

It's actually alot more weatherd than it appers, after the matt cote will have gun and exhaust staining and paint chipping. The matt cote is actually on now, as of 2 days ago, I'm just waiting for the right lighting conditions, some sunshine, to take some more pics.
:-) Hi Envar,

Quoted Text

One possible approach to dull it down a bit could be pastel chalks. Mixture of grey, dark brown and black rubbed in the surface with a firm brush should give instant results. And you would have good control over the whole thing...
I used this technique for my Sea Cobra helo, and it turned out nice. Not all matt, not all satin but worn look.
Just a suggestion!

Nice idea, but I've never used pastels. I will have to try one day, thanks.
:-) Hi Tobar,

Quoted Text

I also built a 1/48 Hellcat. The final coat of paint I oversprayed a light mist of white and dark grey to
the top half of the kit. This gave it a faded, worn look. Also, on some of the elevators, I Painted a darker
shade of blue, to simulate repair work to the aircraft. To me, This made the overall look more"used"...

A good idea, I actually use a similar technique on desert based aircraft, but hadn't thought about using it on this. Of course though there is plenty of sun in the Pacific so you are right.
I would normally spray the lightening cote before the matt cote, so if it aint right it can be removed. So as the matt cote is already on I might try dry brushing.
Thanks.
Mal
clovis899
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:34 PM UTC
I think you have made a great start to what could be a superb model. The one thing many people have touched around without actually saying is that often the most realistic looking Pacific theatre weathering gives the appearance of fading due to the sun's rays. They don't call them the Tropics for nothing after all! With that in mind you might want to try overspraying with a fine mist of successively lighter shades of your base color. ( I like to lighten with an off-white shade rather than pure white, I think it is a bit more subtle, up to you of course) As you move to lighter shades begin to focus more and more on the highpoints of the aircraft, (top of the fuselage, center of the wing) after that a satin coat should look great.

Coop
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
i'll have to agree with everyone on not using the gloss .. i'd prob go with a semi-gloss or a matt depending on what kind of weathering i want to do.. I.E. whether it is fresh in the theater or been in service for a while.

might want to try a white pastel on the upper surface to give a sun fadeing effect.

bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Holdfast,

I did my 1/72 hellcat for the first A/c build completely in gloss. Maybe for your plane, since it is in a bigger scale, it should be in semi-gloss. I did chekc up at a few places on the Net, and all of them invariably said 'Gloss' finish.

BTW, for the washes, i'd suggest a light color like bluish-yellow. I saw an article in one of my VP books on modelling A/c that said he used a yellowish-blue-green for the wash and weathering, and it came out superbly! Let me know if you want, and I can scan and send you a pic...

Cheers,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you have made a great start to what could be a superb model. The one thing many people have touched around without actually saying is that often the most realistic looking Pacific theatre weathering gives the appearance of fading due to the sun's rays. They don't call them the Tropics for nothing after all! With that in mind you might want to try overspraying with a fine mist of successively lighter shades of your base color. ( I like to lighten with an off-white shade rather than pure white, I think it is a bit more subtle, up to you of course) As you move to lighter shades begin to focus more and more on the highpoints of the aircraft, (top of the fuselage, center of the wing) after that a satin coat should look great.

Coop

Now that you say it I couldn't agree with you more.
These are the latest pics.

I had already sprayed the matt cote. Before I read your post..
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Holdfast,

BTW, for the washes, i'd suggest a light color like bluish-yellow. I saw an article in one of my VP books on modelling A/c that said he used a yellowish-blue-green for the wash and weathering, and it came out superbly! Let me know if you want, and I can scan and send you a pic...

Cheers,
BP.

:-) Hi BP,
Definately interested, I've used a dark gray wash and it hasn't achieved the effect I was looking for. Yellowish-blue-green might just be what I'm looking for.
Thanks Mal
BornToDig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Holdfast, that looks fantastic. I'd stop the weathering right there, you dont want to add on more to an already wonderful finish. Great Job!

Ralph
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Hi BP,
Definately interested, I've used a dark gray wash and it hasn't achieved the effect I was looking for. Yellowish-blue-green might just be what I'm looking for.
Thanks Mal

Hi Mal, send me a PM, so that I can get hold of your email id. will send it to you by tonite..

cheers,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
:-) Latest pics, paint chipping and start of the exhaust staining. I've actually now finished the exhaust and gun blast staining, today. Hopefully tomorrow this baby will be completed and, if the lighting in my studio (the sun) is on I'll try and post them then.

Mal
azizmaz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
WOW! how did you do that great job of paint chipping?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! how did you do that great job of paint chipping?

Hi azizmaz, I simply use a silver pencil. :-)
Mal
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
I must say your 'Cat is looking Very nice Mal !
I didn't catch most of this thread but I see you went with a semi-gloss finish....it looks spot on. I may just be seeing a trick of the light, but make sure you get those tires flat-coated, they look bit shiny in the photo.
 _GOTOTOP