_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Catalina supedetailed
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will describe my tools and post it in the IPMS Deutchland site soon, since more modellers asked the same question; but I can anticipate that I use just the basic tools (hobby knifes, sandpaper stick, files, liquid glue, scissors, tweezers, several drills, burrs and vise) plus a rotary tool (Dremel) and a punch & die set. Evergreen plastic rods and strips were essential items in this build too.

...since I have the same tools and material, I must admit it's probably the skill of the builder which makes the difference! I don't have a punch & die set though. This makes me hope I can do something like that one day!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
What can you say but simply amazing.....I'll be happy if I'll ever be half as good as this guy.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I will describe my tools and post it in the IPMS Deutchland site soon, since more modellers asked the same question; but I can anticipate that I use just the basic tools (hobby knifes, sandpaper stick, files, liquid glue, scissors, tweezers, several drills, burrs and vise) plus a rotary tool (Dremel) and a punch & die set. Evergreen plastic rods and strips were essential items in this build too.

...since I have the same tools and material, I must admit it's probably the skill of the builder which makes the difference! I don't have a punch & die set though. This makes me hope I can do something like that one day!

Jean-Luc

i'm a little crestfallen to hear that there is no special tool to help with obtaining that sort of precision...

now i apparently have to go back to basics and learn how to cut styrene properly. =(
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 03:08 PM UTC
Dear friends of insane modelling

Unfortunately Jorge is buried in Emails (ha ha ... I left his address off, but he wanted it in the article) so he could not take pictures of the painted interior. Furthermore he wants to add some more details (can you imagine that)

But

I got some update on tools & techniques and some info on his camera and lighting and he did a sketch on how he does his bulkheads.

if you are interested have a look.

Catalina insane

Catalina insane deutsch

have fun

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hello Earthlings

Today I got 16 pix of the painted interior of Jorges Cat. Take care not to ruin your keyboard.

See more here Catalina Part 2

have fun

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Thanks again for sharing those pics! Fantastic work! it's so... clean and perfect! Wonderful job!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Thanks for sharing the photos. A truly outstanding work!!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
Sorry to bother you again,

but Jorge has send me some more comments ...

Catalina colours

cheers

Steffe
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:56 PM UTC
O.K. here we go again.

Jorge has not much time to build on this project, but he made some progress to illuminate the interior. Part 3 of the article covers this:

Consolidated PBY "Catalina"

modelling is fun ....

cheers

Steffen
mondo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:13 PM UTC
Whoa! I think this is not real. It can't be.

No, just can't be.

I just bought a PBY recently and I found this.
Marudek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi,

I really admire the magnificent work Mr. Wolf has done in this project. I even tried to contact him, but I did not get any reply. It is a pity that all that detail is now closed in the fuselage halves and can't be seen...

Mr. Wolf inspired me to take the challenge and build 1/48 Catalina cutaway, so all the detail will be visible. I have gathered all the publications about The Cat and studied it carefully. I have also contacted NMNA museum in Pensacola to obtain required information.

What I plan to build will be the project of my life. It will be an accurate replica that no one has done before. I am going to write an article on that build and will be happy to have your support.

Marudek
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 - 03:53 AM UTC
stunning...
 _GOTOTOP