_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Catalina supedetailed
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi gang

as it is a little quiet in aircraft at the moment I take the chance to post one of the most outstanding models I have ever seen. It is a 1/48 Catalina which Jorge Roberto Wolf of Brazil built or better builds.

As I wrote in the introduction on the IPMS Site: Jorge is 46 and space engineer in Brazil. He is tall and blond and he doesn't like football too much ... a typical brazilian

So now comes the thrill:

I have 14 pictures in total, which are included in Jorges article that I had the chance to put on my website. No sweat it is English, but if you prefer there is a German version too:

JRWolf: Catalina

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do .... I drool every time I see the pix

cheers

Steffen

AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
WHOA! Now that's hardcore! Even a roll of TP and a holder for it!
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:44 PM UTC
That is a sick build (in the most positive sense possible). Simply jaw-dropping awesome!

To a degree it is a great motivation, on the other hand it sets the standard to achieve really really high...

Thanks for posting the link Steffen!

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:14 AM UTC
Incroyable!!!

Can't wait to see that with a coat of paint! Great work. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Good grief! That really is in a different league from what most of us can achieve! Outstanding!

If there's a chance of publishing the article on Armorama too (with all due credits, of course)... hint, hint!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi Modellers

I see you like the model as much as I do. Today I got some more picturs of the cockpit and nose stand. I will post them later today and he tries to make some pictures of the panted interior this weekend. Meanwhile have a look at another JRWolf model: (portugues)

P-51

(do not wonder, I left out the outer frame to get a direct link to the article ... I hate framed sites because of that)

cheers

Steffen
swingbowler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC
can't think...my mind blown to bits...
floor wet, my jaw dropped three feet, with drool flowing out...

WOW!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi again

as promised I have posted some more photos (7 for the cockpit and 4 for the bow gunners station)

a teaser:

here is the link again: SuperCat

also look at the P-51 link posted above ... inspiring work

remember: do not flood your keybord ... I just had to buy a new one (really)

cheers

Steffen
beepboop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:27 PM UTC
That's impossible! Incredible level of detail, just amazing.
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC

The only thing that gives me hope that I can some day do something in the same neighbourhood as this job is that there is still some grey plastic (so I assume kit) visible... This is way beyond just adding some scratchbuilt detail. This is, it seems, in many ways an almost complete scratchbuild.

I do hope he will be able to finish this with a paintjob all this work deserves. BTW, interesting to see how he stashed the lead counterweights away.

His P-51 looks very good as well, but this is in a complete other league, IMHO.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi Harm

have you ever seen "The Shawshank Redemption" (with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman) .... it's all about time and force (or was it pressure..). He started the project in 2003 ... so it is doable.

The real challenge is to transform the information from fotos, drawings, handbooks (...) into someting that can be built in model form. It is easy (well, kind of) to replicate what Jorge did when looking at the pictures and watching how he did this and that but doing this from scratch by yourself is only something for the brave among us (I always was a coward)

BTW I do not think the P-51 is much less impressive, just look closely at the pictures ... canopy (thin!), instrument panel, cockpit floor, painting and wheathering ... it just has some parts less involved (I guess) but it is of the same high standard ... but that's just my 2ct

cheers

Steffen
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
That really is some excellent work.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
WOW!, Incredible!, To bad it wasnt a clear fuslage version..One of my favorite planes to. The 1/48 Catalina is a monster!
jinithith2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:58 PM UTC
HOLY BITESIZE RIBLETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man that is amazing!
I can see myself trying to do that. *snort*
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Wow. A Catalina is not often seen in such detail. Exellent build
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

His P-51 looks very good as well, but this is in a complete other league, IMHO.

Hi Harm

Here are a few comments of Jorge about his P-51:

Quoted Text

The canopy of my P-51 is from Squadron / Falcon. These are marvellous accessories, and I always use them when available. I usually paint my models with automotive paints (nitrocellulose paint); it requires a base coat to promote adhesion, but it is cheap compared to modelling paints. And I only use the basic colours (red, yellow and blue, plus black and white), so I have to mix my own colours.

The sidewalls of the cockpit were entirely scratchbuilt too; I only used the centre instrument panel from Eduard, the floor from True details (albeit very modified). From the kit I used only the seat, the control column and the instrument panel frame. The wheel wells were detailed too, as were the under wing pylons; and the tail wheel was separated from its leg.

Please keep on modelling as there are as many ways/approaches as there are people!

best wishes

Steffen
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
hi steffan! is that detail entirely scratchbuilt, or a mix of scratch and aftermarket parts? however its been done that is a real head turner of a kit! brilliant work, and the bar is raised for the rest of us
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hi Phil

If you mean the Catalina: Pro-Modeller Kit interior all scratchbuilt: many pictures and english article here:

Catalina

have fun

Steffen
barv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC

One of my favourite "heggies"-----this is so o o o o o good it 's-----------------------
--back to the bench-- mmmmmmm!!!!
aye
BARV
( GOSMG )
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Thanks again for sharing the pictures!

Apparently, seeing the way M. Wolf glued the lead weights, he will close the fuselage... and hide a lot of his fantsatic work in the end! Doh! But at least we have the pictures!
It would be nice to see what tools or machines he used to cut all these tiny pieces of plasticard so perfectly? Any chance you can ask him pictures about how he did this? You know I'm curious!
About the P-51, more than the details, it's the fantastic paintjob I like! M. Wolf is not only a perfect scratchbuilder but also a great painter. This is very promising for the Catalina!

Keep us updated!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I get more and more info on his build with every email we exchange and also at HS as he posted the pix/link there too. I'll try to do another update today and maybe i have to rearrange the text for better "flow"

I am so happy i could convince him to share his artwork with the world ... it is just amazing....

BTW he can/did read your commnts as I gave him the link :-) :-) :-)

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Apparently, seeing the way M. Wolf glued the lead weights, he will close the fuselage... and hide a lot of his fantsatic work in the end! Doh! But at least we have the pictures!

He also build in lights and opend some hatches so not all is lost

Quoted Text

It would be nice to see what tools or machines he used to cut all these tiny pieces of plasticard so perfectly? Any chance you can ask him pictures about how he did this? You know I'm curious!

I added some more info into the article. Furthermore I forwarded your question ... maybe he will share more of his secrets.

It is now darkest night in Brazil, so I will get no answer before this evening (GMT+1)

still drooling over his build...

cheers

Steffen
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC
This is truely inspirational stuff and I love it. Like Jean-Luc I would like to know how he is able to cut to plastic so accurately and uniformly?
Mal
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Jean-Luc I would like to know how he is able to cut to plastic so accurately and uniformly?

A North West Short Lines Chopper II (please please please, let it be something that I can manage.. )

Now for my comment on the model:

I am in awe!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Guys

regarding the tools: I have not heard from Jorge yet, but he "answered" a similar question over at HS:

Quoted Text

I will describe my tools and post it in the IPMS Deutchland site soon, since more modellers asked the same question; but I can anticipate that I use just the basic tools (hobby knifes, sandpaper stick, files, liquid glue, scissors, tweezers, several drills, burrs and vise) plus a rotary tool (Dremel) and a punch & die set. Evergreen plastic rods and strips were essential items in this build too.

I'm still curious...

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP