_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Eduard's mk.22/24 Spit - What's going on?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi!

Some time ago I noticed this new Spitfire F mk.22/24 on Eduard's website. It looked very interesting and I've been looking forward to see it in my LHS.
However, now the site says that the kit is "Sold out, canceled!".
Does anyone know what's going on?
Will I ever be able to grab a copy or what?
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
what scale would this be in eetu?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
That's in 1:48.
Here's a link to the kit on Eduard's site:
http://www.eduard.com/info/photos/1121
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Eetu!

Eduard's 1/48 Spitfire Mk22/24 is in fact the Airfix kit upgraded with some goodies. I think only a limited number of kits were produced. The fact that they wrote SoldOut, Canceled! is strange though! They might have already sold all their stock or encountered a problem with the kit (whatever it is).
I think we have a mystery here! Too bad Merlin isn't here, he could have an explanation.

I too wanted to buy that kit! Doh! Now we know what to do when we see it!

Jean-Luc
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:42 AM UTC
Strange, Hannant's got theirs last week; maybe Eduard mean that the entire production run has sold out, to the trade, and they have none for their own market.
Edgar
smithery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
If it is sold out, I'm glad I ordered one last night from Sprue Brothers. My shipping notification was in my Inbox when I checked this morning.

They still had one left BTW.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
I'm hoping to have one of these for review but I have to wait until Rowan gets back.
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hi there

Yes, I think "cancelled" must be a mistake. Before I came away, our contact at Eduard warned me that both the Spitfire and RAF Aircacobra are selling like hot cakes and that he expected them to be sold out within 1-2 months. I guess he was underestimating if they're all gone already from Eduard's site!

Hmmm - I hope there are some Spits left in the shops when I get back to The Smoke... why am I starting to regret promising Mal the review sample?... :-) :-)

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
I visited a LHS today to get some paints and there was this "new" spitfire. I asked if I could take a look inside the box and it looked like a really nice kit. The styrene parts looked up-to-date despite being nearly a decade old. I think the price tag of 35€ was very reasonable as the kit includes a bunch of resin parts, a fret of PE, and nice looking decals plus pre-cut masks.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm - I hope there are some Spits left in the shops when I get back to The Smoke... why am I starting to regret promising Mal the review sample?...

No going back now this looks like, hopefully, being my next Spitfire build
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Am I a Happy Bunny - or just a very Relieved Bunny!? :-) Having posted you your Spitfire sample and confirmed from visits to two other shops last week that these kits really are selling like proverbial hot cakes (they'd already sold out when I got there! ) - I managed to get away early from work today and made a dash for Hannants... just in time to buy their last one for myself!

I can't speak for Eduard, but seeing the incredible success of this re-boxing - I wouldn't be surprised if it's on their agenda for a repeat at some point in the future...

Now I can gloat over those lovely resin and etched parts and plan the day when I FINALLY build a Spitfire! After all, you can never have too many... :-)

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
I wouldn't have blamed you if you had kept it for yourself, it was waiting for me when I got home from work today and I am impressed. I will write the review as soon as possible, but If you see one of these Eduard boxings get it, you will not be disapointed.
Rowan how about a Spitfire Mk 22/24 Group build, similar to the Fokker D.VII, anyone with an Eduard boxing can join in?
I won't be able to start the review until after the Aeroventure show as I'm trying to finish my Mosquito for it (see my online build in the Gallery). For those that are going to the show I can take the Eduard kit if you would like to see it
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't have blamed you if you had kept it for yourself, it was waiting for me when I got home from work today and I am impressed. I will write the review as soon as possible, but If you see one of these Eduard boxings get it, you will not be disapointed.
Rowan how about a Spitfire Mk 22/24 Group build, similar to the Fokker D.VII, anyone with an Eduard boxing can join in?
I won't be able to start the review until after the Aeroventure show as I'm trying to finish my Mosquito for it (see my online build in the Gallery). For those that are going to the show I can take the Eduard kit if you would like to see it
Mal

Bring it along please Mal. This kit has really got me interested. You never know you might convert Nige to 1/48 with this kit :-) .
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

Neat idea - but I daren't join in just yet... I've just got too many builds lined up. Off the top of my head, there's Eduard's Airacobra Mk.1Dual Combo and my poor languishing Sopwith Camel, Rest Models' He 112, a Fiat G.50 to finish for WEM, a Bf 109G for the Duel campaign, a Lysander for Midnight Sun... and I'm sure there's something I'm forgotting... Oh yes! A Halifax! :-)

I think I'd better get busy this weekend!

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal

I'm up for the group build as i have just bagged one off E/Bay .
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
Im up for the group build.
Just spotted one on Ebay,,my first 1/48th,,err,,,hang on,,,,someone called "Betheyn" has just snaffled it on a "buy it now",,,,, :-) :-)
Hmmmm,,LOL
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi all!

I purchased my Mk 22/24 at RedFrog Hobbies (New Armorama sponsor). It should be on the way.
I think some are still available here and there. I just checked at Hannants (England), Moduni (Germany), Roll Models (U.S.) and they still have it... but for how long?
More than a Group Build why couldn't we make a Campaign out of it. Of course the Campaign could be opened to all Spitfires. Was there already a Spitfire Campaign Mal? If not, it's about time one takes place!
My idea would be the following: build a Spitfire (any scale, any version) in your own country's colors.
I know the Spitfire was flown by almost all the Air Forces of the world, this would allow many to participate... including Germans with the Daimler Benz "MesserSpit"! :-)
What do you think?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... including Germans with the Daimler Benz "MesserSpit"!

Hi Jean-Luc

And, of course, the Zirkus Rosarius aircraft... aren't we cruel!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And, of course, the Zirkus Rosarius aircraft... aren't we cruel!

Hi Rowan!

Guess what? n°1: In this month's "Fana De l'Aviation" (French Magazine), there is an article about the "Rosarius Zirkus"! I still haven't read it though...

Guess what? n°2: I just received a parcel from RedFrog Hobbies one hour ago... with a nice Spitfire in it!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:34 PM UTC
Having read so much about this Eduard kit and seeing how everyones raving about it so much,,Ive bagged one off Ebay this morning too!
I just couldnt resist it.
As for a Spitfire Campaign,,what could be better than that for Aeroscales first official campaign?
Why is my stash starting to resemble a Spitfire Kit Warehouse? :-)
Because you just cant have too many thats why!
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

What about the following name for the Campaign:

Spitfire International

Any other ideas?

Jean-Luc
Mahross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:33 PM UTC
What a cool idea for a first campaign. I'll join as long as any kit can be done as I don't think i'll get the Eduard kit somehow.

Ross
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My idea would be the following: build a Spitfire (any scale, any version) in your own country's colors.

Sounds like a good idea. Too bad Finland didn't use any Spits... (Unless that mean "slap on your own country's markings, never mind accuracy"?)

But...
Since Helsinki is proclaimed "Heavy metal capital of the world" by Bruce Dickison, It would be cool to build Eddie's Spitfire depicted on the cover of the single "Aces High".

But doesn't that start to approach sci-fi? Out with realism...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi all.
Spitfire International sounds ok to me.Personally Id prefer this to start next year as Ive still got campaign builds for this year to finish,and indeed to start! Ive only got a few weeks until I start work again and Im in the middle of a personal issue which will occupy the imediate future.
I do like the idea of an Eduard Spit Group Build as well though.
A quick question about Campaigns in general.
Now we are Aeroscale do we get a set number of Campaigns per year?
How does it work?
And just because Ive been tempted by this supurb Eduard offering,it doesnt mean Im moving to 1:48 :-) Its still 1:72 for me for the forseeable future.( Dont mention the 1:24 Spit )
Nige
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hi Nigel

I agree - I like both ideas. To be honest, part of the idea of sending Mal the Mk. 22/24 sample was to build the kit while it's "hot". I can't join in there, because I've got Eduard's Airacobra to build on a similar basis.

Spitfire International sounds like a great Campaign idea - but we've had one Spitfire build already this year, so I also think it would be nice to save it for 2007.

Do we have a fixed number of Campaigns? Yes and no. Under the old Armorama system, there was a definite move to limit the number of "official" Campaigns because Guntruck was being swamped - but once Aeroscale is really up and running, I think we'll have the chance to share a bit of the load with him. I won't go out on a limb yet and set any targets yet - that's a discussion for after we get the basic forum set up and we begin to gather pace.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP