_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Revell's F-18E Kit #04585
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Gents,
So what is the group's opinion of the Revell F-18E kit # 04585 ? (Not the Italeri re-box)
I just picked up a copy. And considering what Hasegawa wants for a 1/48th Superbug, this looks like an extremely good deal. Plus the molds look good and detailed to me. I imagine it is just a matter of time before an F model shows up.
So what do you "Bug" fans think ?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Bruce

Do you want to have fun with that kit?

If: build it (but dryfit often)

If not: ask me again and I'll point you to a hardcore correction article

cheers

Steffen
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC
Steffen,
Most likely, I will just plain build this one. But I am always interested in any of the "Hard-core" examples. I would appreciate any info you could share.
BTW, it really intrigues me with the wing-tip assemblies. That would not be extremely difficult to build in the wing folds, and would look soooooo goooood !!!! We'll see !
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

I have Revell F/A 18-E Super Hornet (85-5850)

The kit surprised me with its weight. There is a lot of plastic in there. I'm no rivet counter I build mostly out of the box and use aftermarket decals. Most of my scratch work is filling in gaps or seams. While I have not built it yet the detail in this kit looks good to me.

The Hasegawa Hornets are top of the line in detail with postionable flaps and so forth. But you will need a weapons set to fill up those pylons and those run around $15.00 so figure that into the overall bill. The Revell kit lacks bombs as well. I paid $10.15 on sale from Great Models for it and I already own several weapon sets anyway (built a Harrier recently).

I think it's a good balance between price and detail. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Brian
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hi Bruce

Well, do not blame me if you'll never touch the kit ..... I am reluctant since I read this:

John Chung: F/A-18E Super Hornet pt.1 (hyperscale)

John Chung: F/A-18E Super Hornet pt.2 (hyperscale)

John Chung: F/A-18E Super Hornet pt.3 (hyperscale)

As always the decision is up to you how far you would/ will go..

Happy modelling

Steffen
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
I'm working on this one right now in-between a bunch of other projects. There is a alot of plastic to it and for the money, it's a decent kit. I haven't tried to update the accuracy as I plan to use it as a test bed for some techniques, but it's been building up ok.

I've found I've had to fill quite a few gaps and the intakes are a mess for me, but some of that is me not paying attention. I found adding the wing tips to be a pain alignment-wise.

If you're interested in some in-progress pics (basic fuselage, cockpit), just let me know and I'll try to get some decent ones for you.

Personally, considering its low cost, especially compared the the Hasegawa equivalents, it's a good kit. In the end, it comes down to whether you opt for near accuracy or something that closely resembles.

- Frank
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 02:37 AM UTC
Gents;
Steffen, Thank you for the articles. Although mine will not be any where near that level, I like to get ideas from all sources. Some things I may add in, some not.
Brian, your kit is interesting. From what I have gathered, yours is the newest release with fewer stores. My example (#04585) has the bird from VX-9 on the cover and comes with full stores. Apparently Revell has several releases going at the smae time. From what I can see, this one will be around for quite a while. Plus I'm fairly certain an F and G model will follow quickly.
I've read about the Italeri release fiasco. Is the latest (EF-18G) just a re-pop ? Does it still have the non-existant air brake ?
Even though my birds will not be tremendous, I can see quite a bit of enjoyable modelling coming from this and subsequent releases. And stand by for the decal manufacturers !!!!! So what do all you say ?
 _GOTOTOP