_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Possible cure for silvered decals
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
I have been applying the decals to a Tamiya mosquito over the last couple of days. It seems some decals seem to silver up no matter how smooth the surface and how carefully I apply them and in this case they were quite bad despite the use of micro sol and micro set. The aircraft code numbers and smaller stencils all silvered quite badly and on the dark areas of the camo scheme it looked terrible. I was going to paint around the decals with the appropriate background colour to try hide it but decided to try something else first.

I got a brush and applied some more microsol over the decal, then used a stippling action with the brush over the problem areas of the decal. After about 30-40 seconds the silvering started to disappear. It worked on every decal, even the ones I applied three days ago. In fact it might be better to give the decals a full day or two to fully cure before trying this to help prevent damaging the decal.

I don't know if this would work with every manufacturer's decals but if you get the same problem it would be worth giving it a try.

Has anyone else tried this and if so how were the results?
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Good Tip Martin - I've used a similar method in several cases myself - for really troubled areas I've used a sharp exacto blade to cut the decal so the micro sol can get underneath.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

Hey, did you used a short bristled brush? I ask because you mentioned 'stippling' maybe what happened the decals were punctured so to speak by lots of little bristles and this allowed the Microsol to seep in and draw the decal down to the model. Its just a therory..............

Sincerely,
Brian
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thanks Martin. Excellent tip. IŽll give it a try when the problem appears
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Martin. The thing I have tried in the past is to take tiny little stabs at the silvered part with a sewing needle followed by more micro sol. I also wonder if maybe the brush works like the needle and punctures it, which would probably be a little better than a needle. Anyway, thanks again.
Leon
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, did you used a short bristled brush? I ask because you mentioned 'stippling' maybe what happened the decals were punctured so to speak by lots of little bristles and this allowed the Microsol to seep in and draw the decal down to the model. Its just a therory..............

I used a normal paintbrush and dabbed gently, it was great to see the silvering disappear as I did it.

Quoted Text

The thing I have tried in the past is to take tiny little stabs at the silvered part with a sewing needle followed by more micro sol. I also wonder if maybe the brush works like the needle and punctures it, which would probably be a little better than a needle.

I have tried the needle technique in the past but never got it perfect. This method worked perfectly, much to my surprise. I agree that it could have been the tips of the bristles puncturing the decal allowing the microsol to get in but there is absolutely no sign of damage to the decal once dried.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Martin

Thanks for the tip - it's a good'un! Did you only apply the MicroSol in the centre of the decal or over the edges too? If it was the latter, it might be that the stippling helps draw the fluid in under the decal and then removes the trapped air.

All the best

Rowan
bodag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
Reminds me of a trick I use. I have a couple of really fine acupuncture needles that I used to puncture silvered decals. I then brush on decal solvent. It usually fixes the silvering.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for this tip it will surely come in handy.

If have too many of these nasty silvered decals
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you only apply the MicroSol in the centre of the decal or over the edges too? If it was the latter, it might be that the stippling helps draw the fluid in under the decal and then removes the trapped air.

I applied the microsol over the entire decal on the smaller ones and over the silvered part of the larger ones. In both cases I applied it across the full width of the decal across the edges.
 _GOTOTOP