_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Model of the Month (MOM) October 2006
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Post your entries for the MOM for October here.

Please read the following.
1. Do not forget to add information about the model, voters will be encouraged to check this out before voting and it may influence their vote. New.......please put the info about your model in one place. I will only copy the first set of information to put in the gallery, so if you add a piece before each picture only the first part (above the first pic) will be copied.
2. Only post 3 pics, no composites and no pics of real aircraft (even for comparison)
3. Any model of an aircraft, from any era in any scale is eligible
4. Entry will be open until the 15th or 16th
5. NEW Your pics MUST be a maximum of 750 pixels wide. (if you aren't able to alter the size then send them to me and I can do it for you. Alternatively I may be able to copy the pic, size and replace it. Any pics over this size will have to be deleted (I do not want to have to do this)
6. Also, Please comply with this
Please rename your pics using a number followed by your CALLSIGN. By this I mean the file name, this is because:
a. When I copy the pics into a folder on my hard drive I have to copy them with the original filename (so I can't change them when I copy them)
b. So that they stay together in the gallery and so that I don't have to name each pic and so they appear in the order in which they were posted I have to re-name each pic with the member’s callsign. You may imagine what it's like trying to get the 3 pics from each member together (50-60 pics in total with all sorts of file names and some not matching their mates).
A further explanation: When you take the pic it will be given a file name, by the camera. When you open the pic on your PC, right click on it and choose "change name" change the name of the pic to a number (001) followed by your Callsign (Holdfast). the pic is now re-named 001Holdfast (or your number and callsign) .
So if you use a file name that begins with a number and has your Callsign you will save me about 2 hours work

For example my 3 pics could be 001Holdfast, 002Holdfast and 003Holdfast. I hope this is clear

Lets see if we can get an even better turn out this month and for the coming year.

Entry will close on the 15th or 16th and I will start the voting thread as soon as possible after that.

[b]There will be a prize to the winning entry of a "Harricature," a caricature of that entry drawn by Harri (Jetprovost), who also does comissions.
Mal
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi

here is my model for octobre. I just finished it a few days ago. It is the Hasegawa P-40E finished in the markings of Georgi V. Gromov. The decals are from Tally Ho! (CZ) and were easy to work with. I do not like the Hasegawa kit, as I think it is waaaay overengineered.

More pictures can be found here:

IPMS D page (German)

or

Aeroscale thread

hope you like it

cheers

Steffen
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC
Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III. Built OOB (except for the rigging). Merlin's Easy Wood Grain Effects was used for the fuselage, and Tamiya acrylics used for the rest. Build thread can be found here on the I.P.M.S British Bulldogs site
Andy

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi, here is my entry for MOM October. This is the Tamiya 1/48 scale FW 190 A-3 built out of the box using ModelMaster paints and Aeromaster decals. The pilot figure is a combination of legs and a torso from Verlinden and the [blackman] is also a Verlinden fugure. The camo netting is gauze that was painted different shades of green and attached to bamboo skewers with leather straps made from Tamiya tape. The crates and barrels are Verlinden items. The hardstand was made from basswood strips that were stained with a wood stain and applied to the base with white glue. Real dirt and Verlinden static grass was applied to a layer of diluted white glue. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
akhilleus
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi,
This is 1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 Dauntless finished in the markings of VC-40 based at Piva Uncle strip, Bougainville during April 1944. The painting and weathering was done with Gunze Sangyo acrylics.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:48 AM UTC

This is the 1/72 scale Academy kit of a P-47D "razorback" in the markings of the 325th fighter group; the checkertail clan.
It was built out of the box, and painted with polly scale acrylic colors. Standard colors of neutral grey on the bottom and olived drab on the top. Painted in seatbelts instead of making some. I really am an out of the box modeler.
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 124 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hello!

Here it is; 1/48th tamiya's He-219 Uhu with added CMK engine, control surfaces and Eduard PE set. Painted with Gunze acrylics, weathered with oils. Here are the photos.

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
Airfix Mosquito NF Mk XIX in 1/72 - OOB build

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
heres my entry, its a C.R.32 in 1/72 by a firm called supermodel. i tweaked this kit a little, including a pilot figure from the spares box to hide a lack of detail in the cockpit, i replaced the kits tailwheel which was basicly a flat disk moulded onto the cover with a more 3-d wheel, again from the spares box, the wing gun barrels were replaced by another raid on the spares box! paints are white ensign models enamels, rigging is fishing line with control horns added from a Part of poland set

Removed by original poster on 10/04/06 - 22:00:58 (GMT).
Serhan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Adana, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi,
Academy's 1/72 Me-109 G6. OOB.

Removed by original poster on 10/05/06 - 23:49:17 (GMT).
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi there everyone
Here is my entry for October
Revel B-17G from the "Duels" campain, built OOB except the decals for "Just Plain Lonesome".
I hope you like it.

Ted

Thanks for looking.
Ares
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Trumpeter 1/24 Bf-109 G-6 Late, Modelmaster 2 and Gunze RLM colors used. No decals used.

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
Finnish P-36 Hawk

Hello everyone,

This is my entry for the 'Fighters Under the Midnight Sun' A curtiss P-36 Hawk captured by Germany and sold to Finland to fight the VVS. This particular aircraft was used to shoot down 10.75 Russian aircraft.

The kit is 1/48 Hobbycraft and is 99% out of the box (the propeller shaft was to short and I had to get creative). The kit instructions lacked clarity in some places and it appears the cockpit seat was mounted to low so I raised it up 1/4 inch. The decals are Aeromaster Foreign Hawk and went on without much problem.

This is the first time I have used pre-shading on a model. It was then painted with RML 04 for Yellow recognition aids, RML 65 for the undersides and RML 71 for the sides and top. Each color was sprayed full strength and then gone over with a lighter shade of the same color working from the center of each panel to its edges. The black under the wing was a 50/50 mix of Flat Black and Burnt Sienna.

Gun barrels and engine exhaust were drilled out with a pin vise. The pilot is an extra from the Monogram P-38. This was a fun project

Sincerely,
Brian
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
This is Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito B MkIV. It was built OOB and primed with acrylic car primer. It was then airbrushed with WEM Colourcoats. I applied two coats of Future before the decals followed by another after. A wash of oils was done to darken the panel lines and a final coat of WEM colourcoats matt varnish. To break up the black areas I used some Mig powders.. The antenna wire is fishing line inserted into 0.3mm holes drilled with a microdrill.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Ooops nearly missed entering, I've been a little busy with SMW preperations so I have just had to pick something that I already have pictures of.
Tamiya's Fw 190 D-9 in 1/48 scale.
1. Out of the box except for:
a. Brake lines from stretched sprue.
b. Antenna wire from smoke coloured invisable mending thread.
Painted with Xtracolor enamels, using my own pre-shading technique.
Decals by Eagle Cal.
Washed with artist oil colours.

Mal
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 08:55 AM UTC
DML's 1/48 Fokker Dr. I. Box stock. I wanted to model an early one canvased with the blue covering which was olive-painted at the factory.
To simulate the diagonal streaks on the wings I drybrushed the olive against a piece of cardstock, creating a demarcation line where the strips of fabric were sewn together along the ribs. The yellow chevron was applied at the Jasta, thus partially obscuring the Werk Number.
The machine is low-time, yet has just returned from a sortie, hence the oils from the engine are still covering the forward fuselage. You can't see it well but I flicked a stiff paintbrush along the underside of the wing in line with the tires, simulating mud splatter.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hi all!

I know it's another Bf 109... but it's the only model I've completed recently.

It's Hasegawa's 1/32 Bf 109 G-4 with markings for an aircraft flown by Erich Hartmann. I built this one for the "Duel" Campaign and it is out of the box, except for Eduard pre-painted seatbelts and PE rudder pedals from the spare box. The kit was a joy to build and there was no major difficulties other than fitting the upper cowling insert part. Some filler was needed to make the apparent seam disapear. Other than that an easy kit.

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
I'm going to leave this open until tomorrow, partly due to the fact that I'm pretty busy and partly because we still have entries coming in. It might take me a couple of days to get the gallery sorted and start the voting thread, but I think the time can be well used deciding on your favourites

lampie as added something for the winner this month, more in the voting thread.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP