Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"F-14 Tomcat Campaign" - Official Thread
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Iranian F-14's were the export of the F-14A the A+ is the upgraded version with new F110 engines. The only obvious differences are the engine exhausts and possibly the chin sensor under the nose. you may get away with using that kit for the NFWS though. I'll check the books I got for Christmas when i get home and let you know more info then.

Quoted Text

Hi Allen,

I know you have said scale 1/72 to 1/32 but can I do 1/144, I have 9 RoG Tomcats A's and D's waiting in my stash.
If yes then count me in with more than one entry.

Ciao
Luciano

Littorio, As there nine of them i suppose that will be ok. I hope to see a full carrier deck at the end
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Iranian F-14's were the export of the F-14A the A+ is the upgraded version with new F110 engines. The only obvious differences are the engine exhausts and possibly the chin sensor under the nose. you may get away with using that kit for the NFWS though. I'll check the books I got for Christmas when i get home and let you know more info then.

Thanks a lot. Otherwise I will just find another kit to use.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the time frame, my mistake the 1st Feb to 31Aug is actually 7 months or 212 days. This should (in theory) be plenty of time to build a kit in as there are no limits on how many you build as long as it's just one. I for one believe that I am capable of doing at least the two kits for this campaign in the time, and also the ones for the Vietnam and Down Low Campaigns as I spend over 10 hours a weekend alone on modelling.

It could be worse you could be doing the same as me a kit for the Tomcat, Vitnam and the Achtung Jabo Campaign (on armorama) aswell kits im doing for magazines and working to their deadlines for submissions and competition entries for this year. Still feel confident that I can get all of them done in time. I spend less time than that on modelling at weekends although that could have something to do with getting myself enthused and making cups of tea for tomcat and whoever else turns up :-)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you had time to check on the above.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:52 PM UTC
Jesper, I've cracked that box open at the store before. Other than raised panel lines it's actually a very nice kit for the price; the only problem you would have with it is that it ONLY has the F110 nozzles (unlike their other F-14A boxing which apparently has both nozzles!?) and if I remember right does NOT have the later B/D and retrograded to A's gun gas scoops (has the old style vents). The Iranian 'Cats were all TF30 engined aircraft.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:56 PM UTC
Well Tomcat, I've given up on fixing mine up into a '+' configuration, just going to keep it simple and as OOB as I can. Still trying to decide on a scheme though; I've located the old SuperScale sheet with the Ferris Scheme on it (all what, 5 decals involved lol), as well as *HEY WHAT A COINCIDENCE* part one and part two of the Forrestal 89/90 sheets, with the VF-31 'Cats in color on pt.1 and in low-viz on pt.2.......Decisions decisions decisions. It's a hard hard choice at a whopping $5 per sheet haha.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
Sorry for the late reply i got home from work late on friday and had to go straight out to Camogirls for the night. As smashed glass has said the Iranian aircraft only had the earlier style engines and the small chin pod on the underside. so a different kit maybe the way forward.

Smashed Glass be carefull with the Forrestal Colours decal sheets. If they are one ones i'm thinking of (made by Carpena I think) the have a VERY VERY fine carrier film and the decals just shatter at the sight of water let alone touching it. If they are these ones and you do still want to use them get some microscale Liquid Decal film and apply it over the top of the decals while they are stil on the sheet.

Finally as a change of heart I've decided that 1/144 scale is now allowed in the campaign (but maybe two or more) and if anyone wants to start they can. As soon as i can get some other kits and work related stuff out of the way I'll make a start on mine.

Good Luck and Anytime Baby!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for the late reply i got home from work late on friday and had to go straight out to Camogirls for the night. As smashed glass has said the Iranian aircraft only had the earlier style engines and the small chin pod on the underside. so a different kit maybe the way forward.

Good Luck and Anytime Baby!

What about the Top Gun aircraft. Can I build the camouflaged adversary aircraft from the advanced F-14 from Italeri? Sorry I have so many questions, but I am alittle in the dark about the different F-14 versions.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about the Top Gun aircraft. Can I build the camouflaged adversary aircraft from the advanced F-14 from Italeri? Sorry I have so many questions, but I am alittle in the dark about the different F-14 versions.

According to the Hi-deals website the two options for NFWS are both early production F-14 A's. So if you want to be 100% accurate then the F-14 advanced would not be suitable. However as the main aim of the campaign is to have fun i cant see any problem with using this scheme on youre aircraft. Im certain Tomcat31 will agree with me here, if not im sure he'll put a post.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
Yeah, i really don't have a problem with accuracy as long as you have fun doing it to be honest i'm looking forward to see a camo cat but if you really want to be accurate and want to use that kit you could always get the Aries seemless jet exhausts for the A engines.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC
@Tomcat31 and camogirl: Thanks for your answers. I will try to find the early version, but if I cannot I will just go for the advanced version.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thanks Allen, multipul F-14's it is.

Where do we sign up as I can't see this campaign listed in the campaign page?

Ciao
Luciano
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads-up Tomcat31. Yes, those two VF-31 sheets are from Carpena; I have some other Carpena sheets for other a/c as well, good thing you mentioned the thin carrier film BEFORE I got around to using them. I think I'm going to go with the Ferris scheme now though, will make for an 'interesting' Cat in the display case at my local shop.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Allen, multipul F-14's it is.

Where do we sign up as I can't see this campaign listed in the campaign page?

Ciao
Luciano

Theres a problem with submitting new campaigns still waiting to hear if it has been fixed. Its the same for all the campaigns on Aeroscale at the minute. Tomcat started the offical thread so we could sign up here to do the campaign and get started with our kits. When the problems been fixed its just a case of signing up on the campaign page when its been listed.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 03:57 PM UTC
Ive made a list of the current participants for this campaign so far we have:

Tomcat31
Camogirl
Dirk-Danger
ehlikeyf
Betheyn
magnusf
Wizard179
Wolfpack
SGTJKJ
Phantom2
SmashedGlass
Littorio

If theres anyone else intrested or ive missed anyone just post reply saying your in for the campaign. Dont foget once the problem is sorted you will need to sign up in the campaign area but for the moment just register your intrest here. We have started and have a provisional end date of the 31st August.

Good luck with your builds hope you enjoy doing them. Im hoping to get my 1/72 Tomcat underway this week.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the heads-up Tomcat31. Yes, those two VF-31 sheets are from Carpena; I have some other Carpena sheets for other a/c as well, good thing you mentioned the thin carrier film BEFORE I got around to using them. I think I'm going to go with the Ferris scheme now though, will make for an 'interesting' Cat in the display case at my local shop.

At least all can learn from my experience. I bought both sets and intended to build all the models (even bought all the kits) and place them on a shelf painted to look like the carrier deck. I only ever got a low viz F-14 and the E-2C done as the decals set me back for a long while and now i have no room for the rest of the models if i ever get round to building them.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hello friends!

I´ve just been to the post office to pick up a rattling box, containing one Hasegawa F-14A in 1/72. This is a second-hand kit from the eighties but the kit is the "modern" Hasegawa with the recessed panel lines. It also contains some photo etch and two huge decal sheets!

I heard a rumour that the tooling was adjusted after the first few pressings due to tricky fit, I wonder if this one is pre- or post adjustment...

And all those parts! The most complex kit I have built previously is probably Dragon's P-38 and that one didn't even come close to this one when counting the parts.

Starting building tomorrow, now I'm off playing trumpet!

Regards

Magnus
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to enter, I picked up an Academy F-14A on a sale/trade-in shelf recently for $8. My only question is (a little OT): what, exactly, IS the Academy F-14? I can't figure out if it's a regular F-14A, or an F-14A+ with the wrong engines, or some sort of in-betweener!!!! Can I slap a/m F110 nozzles on it and be reasonably accurate in it being a "+"?

The Academy kit is an A, pure and simple and an early one at that. The Gun vents will need changing for a modified A and anything after. If you go with an early a/c, you should have no problem, it's a neat kit and goes together well.

IAN
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
As an update, this is the Academy kit as the famous 'Bunny Noir'

And for those who thought F14s were all in boring Grey..............

By the way Magnus, as far as I am aware, only the 1/48 kit had major fit problems according to some and was updated. Having built early and late kits, I could fing no difference. Nevertheless, if anyones building a 1/48 Hasegawa kit, read David Aungst's post on hyperscale about construction. It's a godsend.

IAN
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Some nice kits you have there

Here's the links to the Hyperscale articles Wolfpack mentioned:

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

I did use this the Last time i built the Hasegawa Kit and will probably use it again this time round
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here´s my build in this Campaign;

As I don´t like those drab, grey birds I have some more colorful decal sets;

VF-84 Jolly Rogers, VF-111 Sundowners or VF-142 Ghost Riders, all colorful aircrafts and a set with stencils for a Hi-Viz ac.
Hard choices here,,,,

My kit is a F-14A+ (or a -B) so I´ll need this "back date set" for the cannon gun gas vent grills.

To top it off, i have the Black Box cockpit;

...and lots of brass;

Lots of work with this one!

I have started some basic construction and painting, I will get back when I have done some more progress.

Cheers!

Stefan E
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
I think I might have to give this campaign a try. I have an F-14 kit in the stash...
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
I'm in!!!

I have a 1/48 Italeri Tomcat, and will be making a catapult launch scene using Hasegawa Deck Crew Set. Will be fun

Cagin
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
@Phantom. Theres certainly a lot of work there for you. looks like the deadline may need extending :-) I personally would choose the VF-111 Sundowners decals as I love (after VF-31 of course) the sunburst on the tail and the sharks teeth under the nose.

@Trahe & caanbash. Welcome aboard the campaign

As for an update form me the Blackbox cockpit set for my 1/48 has had the excess resin removed and thats as far as it got. I think i'll concentrate on the 1/72nd Kit to start with while i'm doing the Down Low and Vietnam Campaigns then i'll get back to the 1/48 kit after that.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I personally would choose the VF-111 Sundowners decals as I love (after VF-31 of course) the sunburst on the tail and the sharks teeth under the nose.

You should not by any chance have a picture of this close by. Sounds very cool.
Now I am getting confused about what kit to build. Maybe some of these high visibility schemes could be cool even though the planes are overall grey.