_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
over-spray on future coated canopy - Help
Juggler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
Can someone share a tip on how to remove enamel over spray from a future coated canopy without harming the future coat? I really don't want to go thru the whole strip and start over process if possible. Since I'm asking, would it work the same with acrylic paint? Any advice would be great, thanks.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi Juggler

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's got an answer to this myself. I'd be very wary of using solvents in case they go straight through the Future and damage the canopy itself. If you do decide to strip the whole thing, you can do so safely with very strong detergent, which will remove the paint and Future without harming the styrene.

All the best

Rowan
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hello Juggler,

I recall in a past issue of Fine Scale Modeler (Not sure which issue) that windex can be used to remove Future. I imagine it would need to soak completely for awhile.

Sincerely,
Brian
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi juggler,

I think I would try some enamel thinners on a cotton bud and gently rub the areas of canopy to see if it removes the paint overspray. In theory the future will protect the canopy from the effects of the thinners. As long as you don't have the cotton bud too wet with thinners it should work.

HOWEVER I would first try this out on a bit of clear sprue. I would coat it in future as you did the canopy, and when dry give it a spray of enamel. This way you can tell if this method will remove the enamel without affecting the clear plastic.
 _GOTOTOP