_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
F-16 - Desert Storm (1/48) ???
Sean18mb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
So, I'd like to build an F-16 in 1/48 scale. Can someone recommend a model that accurately represents something from the 1991 Desert Storm conflict?

EDIT: I should also note, I do not need decals right with the model. I'm sure someone has some aftermarket decals that would be appropriate for the Desert Storm theme.

-Sean
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hello Sean,

Desert Storm F-16, I can think of the following kits and some are out of production but available through E-Bay, yard sales, and swap meets.

Italeri F-16C Fighting Falcon (not in production)
Italeri F-16A NATO Fighter (not in production)
Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon (soon to be released)
Academy F-16C Fighting Falcon 'Flying Razorbacks'
Academy F-16A/C Fighting Falcon
Revell/Monogram F-16A Fighting Falcon
Hobby Craft USAF Desert Storm F-16 Falcon

I think ESCI and Tamiya each had kits as well. I don't believe any of these kits except Hobby Craft has decals for Desert Storm. So you will need to look for an aftermarket sheet. Maybe somone else can comment on decals for the time frame you need because I'm not sure. Anyone, did Isra decals produce a Gulf War sheet?

Sincerely,
Brian
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hello Sean and Brian

I am no "Suck'n'blow" guy, but what I have read so far the Hasegawa F-16's (A-D) are the best out there! The soon to be released kit is Tamiya F-16 CJ, which will be the next benchmark kit, but as we know Tamiya it will be the only variant for some time, so for earlier versions you still should go with Hasegawa.

just my 2ct

best wishes

Steffen
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
The Hasegawa F-16C or CJ is the best at the moment. I have built the CJ and have one in my stash calling my name (as they all do). So many kits, so little time...
 _GOTOTOP