_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Frustrations come in all sized boxes.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 05:00 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I have noticed that there are a few threads about frustrations here abouts. After I was requested to to a list of preliminary do's and don'ts , I was thinking about ways that I have adapted my building attitude to my building methods.

For instance, did you ever sit down to continue to build a model that you had not touched for a week or a month? Then spend 15 minutes trying to remember where you left off building it?

For those of us that have several builds going at once there are some "tricks" I use to get right back in the swing of things.

A. In the building stages use the kit instructions to document what you have done, will do, wont do by colour coding your steps with pastel high-lighters.
Pink=complete,
Yellow=delete
Green=scratch-build/alter &
blue= replace with an existing kit item.

B. I also colour code the ends of the boxes with painted strips, so I can see what basic colours I have already applied to any kit.
Wood
Fabric (CDL)
Camouflage colours
Metal

C. I write notes on the instructions and even glue white paper sections with reference location notes to the instructions.

D. Plan out separately what builds you want to accomplish in a year's time or the kits you want to do and the different schemes or variations.

E. Have a list of the completed builds by year. If you sell or donate them or they are destroyed somehow you have a record. I have 154 builds i keep track of since 1992.

F. I have three stacks.
1. Collection ( barter sell or trade for new items.)
2. To build ( in their boxes colour coded.)
3. Parts storage / inprogress build (parts drawers that most people use for storage of screws nuts and bolts and etc.)
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
This is all great advice, especially B on your list. You are definitely more organized than I.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:56 AM UTC
Greetings Tony;

It is totally easy to do. The key is doing what works for you.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 05:05 PM UTC
Bringing this up for a fellow modeler that is "blocked".
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 05:59 PM UTC
hoho, best management practices comes to the hobby world !!

And here I was thinking I was escaping work with play, silly me

In all honesty, those are excellent ideas, especially marking up the instructions as you go, and leaving yourself notes and sketches.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 06:19 PM UTC
I have started keeping a note book with stuff about when I did some work, what needs to be done and paint notes (mixes and thinner ratios). Sometimes it works.
 _GOTOTOP