_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Imagineering a twin tailed Fokker
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 03:17 PM UTC
Greetings all;
From the vivd and fertile mind of a Steely eyed model builder SteveS.

"A fork-tailed fantasy Fokker on floats.

Try to say that three times fast!

It wasn't too long ago that there wasn't much choice if you wanted to build a 48th scale Fokker D.VII. So like others, I hoarded some DML's and a couple of the cheaper ones. With the advent of some nice kits now available and more on the way, I saw no need to hold onto the old Monogram/Revell kits I had hanging around. I had the idea to do something a bit different. Being a bit twisted, how about a twin tailed fantasy Fokker? And lets go one further and put it on floats.

I wanted something that could maybe have been stowed on a battleship or hung underneath a Zeppelin and deployed for protection or maybe deliver a spy to the British Isles under the cover of darkness. Or maybe something from the cover of a pulp fiction novel. Who knows... it's your choice.

Honestly, the idea for the floats came about as I couldn't decide how to attack the landing gear and make it look right....so I just left it off and made resin floats after making a mold using a float from a Eduard Hansa Brandenberg W-29 kit I have. Brass rod was used for the struts.

Don't look for any correctness here as this was built strictly for fun. I could have cared less about correcting the kit's flaws or what's correct. Actually I used one Monogram and one Revell kit which you experts know are a bit different.

The paint scheme is copied after the excellent artwork of Todd Comeau's Rumpler 6B2's as seen on the rear cover of "Over the Front" Vol.18,#4. The naval lozenge is by Americal Gryphon and was the only thing I had to buy other than the Polly Scale blue-gray paint. All else came from the scrap bin.

The idea for the base came from the same issue of OTF that had an article of seaplane bases. It had wonderful photos of these wood planked "walkways" that led from the sheds and work areas down to the water."
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC

". . .What made it fun was the fact that I wasn't bound by what's right or wrong. And also it cost about nil to build. Notice I didn't butcher the DML kits. I may be crazy, but not stupid!

The thoughts about the gunner shooting off the tail was interesting. I only quickly thought of that secenero. I guess I could have flipped the rudders up-side down and let them hang off the bottom of the fuselage. But I will lie and state that this was the first plane to incorporate Fokker's now famous "tail-interrupter gear". . ."
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:26 AM UTC
Dude, this is totally AWESOME!!!! I DIG it! Amazing! This is some of the finest imagineering I've ever seen in my modeling life! I can't believe no one responded?!? Awesome! Just amazing. Like all your other stuff. Now do this with a couple of Dr.I's, heh heh!

Regards-
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
I have to give credit for the fine work above to its creator, SteveS. Also about that Triplane thing. . . See & take your pick.
Imagineering at its finest.
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
Oops, my apologies to SteveS. I went right over that part somehow!

(But Steve L., your stuff is still amazing too!)

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
I cant imagine anybody topping this. How about a double P-47?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Uh that would be the next door down the hall. . .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Just bringing this up. An Aeroscale oldie!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 06:59 PM UTC
I love it – fantastic idea Perhaps an idea for a future campaign?

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP