Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
-- Calling out all those going to build a 1:48 Scale Hasegawa G-10 or K-4! --
(or otherwise have an unneeded part F18 lying around)

Hi!
Although I have so many unfinished kits going on at the moment so I won't be starting my entry right now yet, I've been sniffing through all the plastic, resin and decals.
Here's the situation: there's three different tailwheels in the kit, and just the one used in a G-6 I want to build has a nasty sink mark in the wheel hub that looks all but impossible to fix convincingly.
The part in question: F18

Would anyone happen to have an unneeded, completelely moulded part they could consider parting with?

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
that shouldn't be to hard to scratch build.

Terri, what can I say....I aim to please nuck nuck nuck, hey Moe!

(3 stooges reference for those abroad)
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's how it looked at first to me too, but filling the sunken area looks quite tricky both because the affected area is small, complex, and there's also subtle raised detailing in the wheel hub to restore.
Cutting off and replacing the whole wheel would be easy, but I don't seem have a correct size wheel in my spares box. I've better dig in once more to be sure.
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC
Shawn,

I am sure glad you decided to do this build.... you have a lot of great ideas that I am stealing.... I love the one on doing the propeller with nothing.... works for me.

Am heading down to the local Blitz-Kaufer to see about liberating a wheel off of one of their Blitz Buggy Shopping Karts....... should be heavy enough for a tail wheel on this build..... Photos whenever.....

Bob
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's how it looked at first to me too, but filling the sunken area looks quite tricky both because the affected area is small, complex, and there's also subtle raised detailing in the wheel hub to restore.
Cutting off and replacing the whole wheel would be easy, but I don't seem have a correct size wheel in my spares box. I've better dig in once more to be sure.

I just might have the part you are looking for , have to check the stash , but I just might have one that you can have . Will get back to you on it .....
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
Decided on a colour for the condor legion 109e. A RLM02/63 ish greeny grey.
2:XF22 2:XF49 1:XF2. Might not be accurate but the photos of Emils in Ries and Ring's book look darker than the pale grey of the Berthas.

A bit like this colour
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis/luft/cleaver109d.htm

In fact there is a photo where two Emils look to be different shades but that could be down to the angle of the sun in the photo.

Tried out Andrews method of lightening some panels freehand with a drop or two of white added to the base colour and I feel it has worked well.
Pretty simple and to be honest an epiphany for me as I always struggle with finishes. And it was really quick too. I'm gaining confidence with the A/B with each model. Thanks Andrew for demystifying that for me.

No pics as the light is terrible here today. British Summer Time feels like we just get an extra hour of rain.

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
I primed the basic airframe yesterday, looks promising!

In regards to scratching the tail wheel, I'd use the "flawed" kit part but hide the sink mark behind the wheel fork leg.
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC

Just for Shawn I got rid of the "banana" the kit gave you for a tail wheel.... wouldn't want to not hold up my end of the cartoon build.... Actually, holding up that spinner is going to be the challenge..... it is almost solid Aves....

This is turning into a major build..... I am going to have to clean my work area a second time!!! Hey, you measure your builds your way, I measure them in how many times I have to clean my work area. And yes, this is an official build, I have bleed on it.....

Bob
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 05:57 AM UTC
lol
I've bled too!
Tail wheel looks great! I need to work on mine this weekend so i can finish it up next week. May keep the banana and paint it like one!!!
Im not going to have "accurate" registration letters, but something will be there (pilfered from my Bf-110)
Filling that spinner had to be tough! I was going to cut fill pieces from sheet stock and fair it in.
I kept the prop on mine since chrome and color are both new areas for me to have on an aircraft build!
Gotta keep it fresh!

forgot to add, your nose job looks great! My compliments to the surgeon
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Oh, SURE..... get me to make the new tail wheel and then you go tripping off and use the banana!!!????!!!!

I started to blank the holes in the spinner off...... but didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry... so they pushed in and I ended up filling a bit more of the spinner than I had intended... oh well, it will balance the putty in the tail...

The plastic surgeon wanted to give the wife a nose job but she didn't want her nostrils on the top of her nose, or looking like machine gun tubes..... Can't understand her reluctance....

Bob
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!
Although I have so many unfinished kits going on at the moment so I won't be starting my entry right now yet, I've been sniffing through all the plastic, resin and decals.
Here's the situation: there's three different tailwheels in the kit, and just the one used in a G-6 I want to build has a nasty sink mark in the wheel hub that looks all but impossible to fix convincingly.

Would anyone happen to have an unneeded, completelely moulded part they could consider parting with?

Hi Eetu

I've just checked that tailwheel in my 'G-10 and it has exactly the same sink mark. Sorry.

All the best

Rowan
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 07:47 PM UTC
Terri,

Whats the ruling on a started kit? I started this Classic Airframes 109A a few years ago... This GB could be what I need to get it finished!

Here it is in its current state...

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
lol
I said I "may" use the banana.....
I will make the pogo stick looking tail wheel, I just wanted someone else to do it first
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Whats the ruling on a started kit? I started this Classic Airframes 109A a few years ago... This GB could be what I need to get it finished!

Here it is in its current state...

Hi David

The rules state that it has to be a unstarted kit , however since that is all you have done to it I can be felxible . If the guy's don't have any trouble with it I will allow it . I do try to be fair with keeping with in the rules after all it's about building , having fun and sharing what we do so well . Feeling that the gy's will be alright with it ........they really are a great bunch of guy's ........welcome to the GB
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
im cool with it
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David

The rules state that it has to be a unstarted kit , however since that is all you have done to it I can be felxible . If the guy's don't have any trouble with it I will allow it . I do try to be fair with keeping with in the rules after all it's about building , having fun and sharing what we do so well . Feeling that the gy's will be alright with it ........they really are a great bunch of guy's ........welcome to the GB

Thanks, that's great!

I will pull it out again after I finish my Pup of the WNW build.
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's OK with me
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If the guy's don't have any trouble with it I will allow it . I do try to be fair with keeping with in the rules after all it's about building , having fun and sharing what we do so well . Feeling that the gy's will be alright with it ........they really are a great bunch of guy's ........welcome to the GB

G'day Dave. Since we gave you guys a thrashing at cricket I have absolutely no problem with you enlisting with a started kit. Now, if your lot had beaten us there would have been NOW WAY !!!

Welcome aboard mate, I can't wait to see how your build turns out after seeing a few of your recent kits.

Cheers, D
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC
Nice to see the various builds here....i'm shamelessly taking notes

@ Terri

Sorry for plying truant but i have been bogged down by various issues. This being the holiday season [out here], work has become hectic. Add to that out-of-town trips and a house shifting in progress

I promise i will start soon [when soon = May 1st week ]....scouts honor
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see the various builds here....i'm shamelessly taking notes

@ Terri

Sorry for plying truant but i have been bogged down by various issues. This being the holiday season [out here], work has become hectic. Add to that out-of-town trips and a house shifting in progress

I promise i will start soon [when soon = May 1st week ]....scouts honor

No worries Raj , I haven't even started my kit yet I know about the work thing . Our busy season is starting and for the past two weeks been working over time every day so I haven't been able to spend very time at the bunch or doing other things I enjoy so much .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi!

Hi Eetu

I've just checked that tailwheel in my 'G-10 and it has exactly the same sink mark. Sorry.

All the best

Rowan

Had a peek and my is the same as well , sorry I really wish I was able to give you aid .
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi!

Hi Eetu

All the best

Rowan

Had a peek and my is the same as well , sorry I really wish I was able to give you aid .

Oh, bummer. Thanks for you troubles anyway fellows.
With that sink mark seeming to be such a common occurence with that kit, it looks like I've got to cut off the marred wheel and replace it with another from the kit.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 01:00 PM UTC
I am thinking of joining, if anyone would tell me if the Airfix Bf109F has any building / fit issues. I had the Spitfire Vb and it was not a weekend build with all of the warping and fit problems. Anyway I can purchase the Bf109F for $11.60 if it is worth the effort.

Bob
Satch_ip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi, I just enlisted in this campaign and here is my entry.

Academy 1/48th Bf109E-3 Heinz Bar

Very nice but simple kit. Only problems so far have been self induced. The kit comes with decals of the camo for the wings and fuselage. I'll be painting though. I've put down some Mr Surfacer on some of the joints and attached the wings and flaps since then. Should be puttied, sanded, and primed tomorrow.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 08:12 PM UTC
Well I'm underway with my 109, spent some time doing the main sub-assemblies and cleaning up a few parts. Paint to follow shortly but I can't button up the fuselage until the PE belts arrive.

Cheers, D