Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICAL: Camm-paign, Sir Sydney Camm Campaign
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 07:32 PM UTC
@ Sebastian: The Eduard kit is one of the first they produced all plastic no resin or photo-etch in sight! Still very well detailed although the detailing is a little soft (rounded). I'm undecided as to whether to add some resin and photo-etch or do it straight from the box. Although I'm leaning towards O.O.B. I might still add a resin radiator yet, who knows where my rampant A.M.S. will take me?
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 07:50 PM UTC
@ Chris: I think I remember... this kit was issued in the early style black Eduard box?
I am looking forward to seeing your Tempest

Servus,

Sebastian
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 05:46 PM UTC
@Sebastian: Got it in one! I've posted a pic of the kit for you too see as well I'll post some in progress shots soon. (as I've taken some!)

Well the build is coming along well it's a very easy kit to put together and I'm doing it O.O.B. I've hopefully got the profipack version of this kit coming my way from America soon as well as the decals for Evans tempest. So I've got most of the kit together and the interior painted now to work on the camouflage.

Cheers
Chris

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 08:18 PM UTC
As promised here are some work in progress shots! As I said the kit went together really well with a modicum of sanding and very little filler. The joining surfaces on the majority of the kit had very little in the way of blemishes and after a little trimming glued together very easily and securely.

Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:14 AM UTC
@ Chris: Wow, that´s fast! Makes me hungry for such a Tempest.
What kind of color will you use for painting? Do you use acrylics or enamel?

Servus,

Sebastian
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
My friend, that's awesome work on the hunter. I'll savour it soon as we get to visit you the next IronMan !!
We poured over that Tempest some time ago, got it stashed a few years back, remember?

Good thing your documentation is more than precise, Chris, I'll use it as reference when I build mine. Never knew there was a profipack version!

Greetings all!
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
@ Leo: I am getting old. Or your stack is too big. I have completely forgotten that kit. This is a subject we seriously have to discuss on our next session.
BTW: it is the Challenge Triathlon, not the Ironman. Just want to prevent you from dropping a brick...

@ Chris: You see, your built blog has already two attentive readers

Servus,

Sebastian
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:46 PM UTC
Lovely Tiffie, and we don't see that kit very often

Finally, I get to join the fun with Lindberg's Fury. Cut out the cockpit door, added some struts and stringers in roughly the right place, sprayed interior green for the metal parts and red-doped linen (tamiya buff and flat red) for the fabric parts.

08/06/2011
The box has seen better days. No use to "collectors" best get building.

08/06/2011

Not my neatest work but you can see what I'm trying to do
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
John, that Hawker Fury is cool! Now for something completely different...

I have already heard from Lindberg Kits, but where do they come from? Is this company still alive?

BTW, where can I get the Camm-Paign banner and how can I attach it to my signature? Thanks in advance!

Servus,

Sebastian

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:03 PM UTC
@Sebastian: I use a combination of acrylics Sebastian Tamiya, Mr colour and Aero-master. With the detailing and washes done in oils mainly Humbrol for picking out the dashes and various knobs etc. and Windsor and Newton for the washes thinned with Tamiya enamel thinner (dries faster and gives a matt finish.) The colours will be the day fighter scheme Ocean grey, Dark green over Med. sea grey. Lindberg kits are an American company part of or similar to Aurora I think? The kits are still readily available on eBay but I'm unsure as to whether they are still manufacturing.

@Leo: Leo these kits were first produced so long ago that it's hard to find them now. I'll post some pics of the kits contents when it arrives so you can see the extra goodies provided!

@JayPee: That's an awesomely munted box you got there fella! I just love the old biplanes the RNZAF flew quite a few of them into WW2 so I've got plenty of scope to build some! I'm actually waiting on a Classic Airframes Walrus to arrive that has the markings for the Walrus's used by the New Zealand division of the Royal Navy (Light cruisers Achilles and Leander). Love biplanes ...... rigging not so much!

Still waiting for the decals to arrive but hopefully soon and I'll post a pic of them with the painting instructions from Aero-master. A simple enough scheme with hard edged camouflage and only slightly weathered as Evan Mackie was particular in the up keep of his aircraft. With that thought in mind here's an irrelevant piece of information about Evan "Rosie" Mackie. When Evan was flying spitfire MkVc's in North Africa he had a set of MkIX exhausts fitted to the MkV because he estimated that the spitfire was 10 to 20 miles an hour faster with them! He valued these exhausts so much so that when he was shot down he took his mechanic out to his crashed aircraft and salvaged them for his next Spit! Diorama anyone?

Just painting the Tempest now I'll post pics of it when it's done.
Cheers
Chris
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
The kit is ok, sink marks and usual soft detail you expect on these old plastics. Seems to fit fine though. Accurate? Looks like a Fury to me.

Munted? Aye!, you get some metal wire for rigging which is totally rusted, the decals are shot. But I got the thing for cheap off ebay, saved it from landfill.

I just can't decide what scheme. Yellow, Camo, Silver, SCW (republicans and nationalists). So many nations had these, so much choice.

Even thought of an Irish what if with green fuselage and sliver wings, a la Baldonnels gladiatiors.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi guys
As per promise here are some pics of the tempest painted awaiting gloss coat and decals!

Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Chris, very nice paintjob! What do you use for masking? Cannot wait for the finished Tempest...
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 09:38 PM UTC
@Sebastian: Same as you! Rolled blue tac and masking tape to hide the larger areas. Well there's been a bit of a pause as I lost part of the undercarriage on the floor of the garage and it got eaten by the concrete monster! Damn thing just vanished and it wasn't a small part either! So I've just finished scratch building a new one and I'm waiting for it to dry so I can install it after I've done the gloss coat and decals! Still no sign of the decals from evilbay but I'm using the stencils from the kit and the decals for the wings leading edges so I'll start on that next.

Cheers
Chris
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
Chris, the blue tac method is an essential modelling technique for me. I tried it first back in 2006 when painting a 1:48 CF-104 G in the late camouflage scheme. I was very pleased with the result so I apply this technique when ever it is appropiate. Here in Germany I use UHU Patafix, but this is the same stuff like blue tac I think. BTW, I also use it to fix fishing lead in fuselage for balancing planes or as a sticky surface for fixing parts during painting.

Servus,

Sebastian
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 09:24 PM UTC
@Sebastian: I use it for hold tricky small parts for airbrushing and painting to. never consider using it for holding lead counterbalance weights in place but it sure would do the trick!

Well I've tried the first set of decals on my Tempest only to have them crack and fall apart! So out with the yellow paint and I've airbrushed them on instead. I might have to come inside from my man cave (My modelling bench is in the garage) to do the decals as I think the near zero temperatures are making the decals too brittle to place effectively. I'm in the middle of winter so any chance to get inside would be good! More pics to follow as soon as I've completed the stencilling!

Cheers
Chris
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC
Guys my Harrier has fallen by the side due to the paint not adhering and forming blobs (I used xtracrylic). I'll go back to this some time later and see if I can rescue it.

So I've got out another Camm design and will start soon on the Harrier replacement entry.

Some very nice builds from the rest of you.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:09 AM UTC
@ Sean: Brrrr, in the middle of winter... I am glad that we have summer here in Germany at the moment. But that weather should you not detain from modelling !

@ Luciano: That are bad news! But putting it away for a while is not that bad. Make you forget the misfortune and you can focus on something new. Although I know very good the feelings appaering in such a moment...

Have you chosen another Harrier for your Camm-Paign project or do you make sth. different?

Servus,

Sebastian
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Luciano: That are bad news! But putting it away for a while is not that bad. Make you forget the misfortune and you can focus on something new. Although I know very good the feelings appaering in such a moment...

Have you chosen another Harrier for your Camm-Paign project or do you make sth. different?

Servus,

Sebastian

Well Sebastian I'm going for what IMO is the best looking aircraft to ever fly the..............

Hawker Hunter but not one, I'll be doing five in 1/144 all on a flying base!
Photos tomorrow.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 05:40 PM UTC
@Luciano: Five? Uhmmmmmm wow ... half the size of 1/72nd but still that's a sizeable chunk of plastic! So all on a flying base so that would mean an acrobatic squadron?

Well my decals have duly arrived from evilbay so I'm now decaling up my Tempest and the decals all appear to be behaving themselves .... so far. More pics to follow!

Cheers
Chris
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 11:22 PM UTC
What could be better than a Hunter? 5 hunters!!

I've had a bit of hiatus while I wait for the Mushroom Hawker Fury and Nimrod book. But if it is not on the doorstep tonight I'll be pressing ahead regardless.

Found a cracking scheme. K8267. Silver, yellow and camo, whats not to like?
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hawker Fury and Nimrod, book was waiting for me when I got home. Looks to be packed with info and photos, really great reference. Loads of profiles at the back. Stripped down cockpit shots a lot is packed into 160-odd pages. At first look well worth a tenner.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Oh! scale plans for 1/72 and 1/48 just dropped out of the middle of it! A lot of bang for your buck here
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 02:30 PM UTC
OK guys here we are, first off the start as it was on Saturday.

And now where I'm at, the first two built and first bit of paint applied on the left will be a Rhodesian Air Force Hunter and on the right an Indian Air Force Hunter. Two more in primer still on the sprues behind which will be Singapore and Omani Air Forces, the last will either be Saudi or Jordanian.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Luciano,
Now that is going to be way too impressive, I love the idea and cannot wait to see your finished build. Those Hunters will be an eye catching display with their beautiful paint jobs.

Bob