Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Ground Force - Diorama
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 02:36 AM UTC
one good think about acrylic paint, it comes right off with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

holy *!
you win the prize plus 10,000 internets just for building that chain fall!

The hydraulic jack-stand is really cool too.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lifecolor acrylics, my god, what a crap stuff to airbrush, i think that i just ruined my model

Aye, Paint be a fickle mistress

Now that it is dry, it does not look all to bad

But there are a few serious paint "runners" that need to be sanded away and brushed again.

Also, it appears that this paint is not "sticking" to the plastic that well. I hope that a layer of future will make a more resistant finish.

does anybody have experience with this?

duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, yes scratch building is fun
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 03:38 PM UTC
Jeep progress 1/48 Tamiya, with Hasegawa engine. Also Eduard "follow me jeep" etch set...
air-aset
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ecuador
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 04:23 PM UTC
@Roland, Amazing work!!!!!

Removed by original poster on 12/26/13 - 04:40:29 (GMT).
air-aset
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ecuador
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 04:42 PM UTC

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now this is amazing!!!
diseasedspawn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lifecolor acrylics, my god, what a crap stuff to airbrush, i think that i just ruined my model

Aye, Paint be a fickle mistress

Now that it is dry, it does not look all to bad

But there are a few serious paint "runners" that need to be sanded away and brushed again.

Also, it appears that this paint is not "sticking" to the plastic that well. I hope that a layer of future will make a more resistant finish.

does anybody have experience with this?

I don't have experience with Future but in my experience with clear coats (Model Masters enamel and acryl), the clear coat makes the paint hardier. Masking is less likely to tear up the paint, washes are easier. I use metalizer as a base for my planes (gives the plane a more metallic look ) so the paint doesn't like to stick to that either. A clear coat over the metalizer as well as a clear coat over the paint allows you to do post-painting work more easily.

A gloss clear coat is slicker. A flat clear coat is stickier.

Hope that helps!
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi all,
The projects are looking great, mine is basically finished BUT I have no internet access at the moment ! This is being written from my phone . Not sure when my internet will be fixed as heavy rain and a couple of days of storms have played havoc over here.
Please bare with me and I'll catch up with things and medals in a week or whenever my broadband is fixed.

Paul
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
"There's that damn bird again" Sorry everybody, I'm not gonna make the campaign deadline This diorama project got much too big for it's own good, and unless there's an extension, I'm done for now... But I'll post pictures of the finished diorama in a month or two... Good luck everybody and happy modeling!!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry everybody, I'm not gonna make the campaign deadline This diorama project got much too big for it's own good, and unless there's an extension, I'm done for now... But I'll post pictures of the finished diorama in a month or two... Good luck everybody and happy modeling!!

The danger is that if you put it aside you will nvr start again.

This is a very good diorama, don't give up and continue until it is finished.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC
The T-33 just got its last decal. Now another layer of future and some flat base and this one is done.

I am not all that pleased with the result, I used a paint that I am not familiar with(lifecolor) and it was a complete mess up.

Luckily, some sanding and re-painting and some weathering have hidden most of the flaws.

Next thing to do is to put this thing on its base and then make a series of good pictures. It will be my first attempt on making "perfect" model pictures and I expect that this may take some time. With other words, don't expect anything until mid next week.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
Sorry people I still Dont have proper internet access . hopefully I'll be back soon to sort things out !

Cheers paul
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 07:51 AM UTC
Speaking of sorting things out, would I be allowed to post progress pictures on this thread, even though the campaign is officially over
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of sorting things out, would I be allowed to post progress pictures on this thread, even though the campaign is officially over

Just post them, campaign leader can accept or reject later
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:49 AM UTC
I completely failed on this one, never even took the airplane model out of the box.
Im thinking of moving the maintenance building I did get started over to the Unfinished business campaign.

Duckdawgs, I want to see your project continue, you could certainly keep using this thread. do you know what kind of bird that is? i think it needs some bright colors!

Removed by original poster on 01/05/14 - 23:09:57 (GMT).
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC
The bird is a Brown Sicklebill, found on the islands of New Guinea, a type of bird of paradise. Yes it is a very vibrantly colored, iridescent bird. Maybe I'll use some automotive colors on it
diseasedspawn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 03:51 PM UTC
Sounds like I am not the only one who didn't complete the campaign I am going to keep working on my project but I do want to show everyone how far I have gotten...

Currently decaling. Making my own but having an issue with them coming out smeared from the copier. Anyone encounter this before? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Furthermore, all the projects I have seen on here were great and I hope to see them complete in the future, regardless of how much future that means haha Would anyone object to this campaign continuing in an UNOFFICIAL capacity?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:53 PM UTC
I don't believe that anybody could possibly object to continued modelling happening in a modelling forum. Just remember to bookmark this thread because it'll become unpinned from the top of the forum (if it hasn't already).
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Making my own but having an issue with them coming out smeared from the copier. Anyone encounter this before? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

oh yes.
Look through the "printer properties" options and change paper type to "transparency" . This will slow the feed way down and give the ink a few seconds to dry before going through the rollers.
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
90 percent sure this is the last figure I need. A little odd that I added this figure last, considering he's the only one doing the actual bore sighting. Just need to scratch build the bore sighting tool with some thin stretched sprue happy modeling everybody
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't believe that anybody could possibly object to continued modelling happening in a modelling forum. Just remember to bookmark this thread because it'll become unpinned from the top of the forum (if it hasn't already).

Of course, nobody can object.

But for the campaign we will need a final deadline at some moment in time.

May I suggest an official extension until end february? That seems to give suficient time for everyone to finish if they want to, but will not create too much of a delay for other projcts people may be involved in.