_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Ground Force - Diorama
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:38 PM UTC
Welcome to the Ground Force: Diorama campaign

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 01:38 AM UTC
welcome to the ground force campaign everyone !

heres what i'll be modelling...my first diorama!

and here are some of the pieces i'll be using to make my diorama...

all the best to everyone

paul
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 01:48 AM UTC
Looks good, Paul! It will be a pretty cool diorama.

I am split between making a water/sea shore diorama, the old ESCI/Monogram "diorama in a box" with an A-10 thunderbolt, or a soviet style MiG-29 diorama. Decisions, decisions....
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good, Paul! It will be a pretty cool diorama.

I am split between making a water/sea shore diorama, the old ESCI/Monogram "diorama in a box" with an A-10 thunderbolt, or a soviet style MiG-29 diorama. Decisions, decisions....

the water/sea shore sounds cool...

paul
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
I have this Ozmods Caribou kit

which I plan to arrange in a maintenance bay with ladders and trucks and so on, like this,

In exactly these grey/black/white markings.

This picture was taken in Oakland, but Ill be building the Kwajalein Aircraft Maintenance building to complete the scene, Pictures of that later.

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi this just came today and will be used in this campaign.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 12:01 AM UTC
Is it allowed to use a plane that is already finished for the diorama? I was planning to use the Rufe I build for a previous campaign. Looking through the campaign description I am not certain that is allowed?

I would like to make the scene show below, but show the plane more in a hidden position with palms and or undergrowth at the waters edge and a small log road and supply depot.

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it allowed to use a plane that is already finished for the diorama? I was planning to use the Rufe I build for a previous campaign. Looking through the campaign description I am not certain that is allowed?

I would like to make the scene show below, but show the plane more in a hidden position with palms and or undergrowth at the waters edge and a small log road and supply depot.

unfortunately not... you need to build the aircraft as well...

paul
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hey Jesper, your Rufe looks really good and the dio idea sounds really good, why not build another Rufe and just expand the dio a bit ?

Cheers, D
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

unfortunately not... you need to build the aircraft as well...

paul

Or you can just build a second one and line it up with the one you already have
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC
What I am currently doing for this campaign:

- investigate how feasible 3D printing really is
- Do some testing with Plaster of Paris for making some building/bunker
- Put some order in a pile of documentation that could be useful for my project
- Make a scetch, throw it away, make a new scetch, throw it away, make a ....

DrHibbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Aeroscale and plane building. For this campaign, I'd planned to build this dio:

However, I know I'll get bogged down with all the ground equipmet AND the Blackbird, so I'm hoping you'll allow me to build something like this:

Using this as a background:

I plan to display the SR-71B, tail#956, in 3+ mach configuration which will require some neat modifications to the inlets, turkeyfeathers, etc. I'm also trying a plane/ base attachment rig using rare-earth magnets, which if it balances right, will look like it's floating freely from the front view.

Let me know if I'm straying too far from the spirit of this campaign and I'll go back to a maintenance scheme!
diseasedspawn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hey Hibbert

Sounds like a diorama to me but I'm just a grunt in this campaign. Have to wait for the officers to decide.

Really like your idea of a stratospheric dio. Never seen one before. Hope your magnet idea works out. If it does, I wanna know about it as I could use it in some other stuff I do.

Question: are you going to create the afterburners like in the pic? I've never seen that completed successfully but I have been giving it some thought and I believe alumilite clear would work for it, though getting it right would take some effort on your part. I don't know, just a thought.
DrHibbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

Yah I'm not sure how strict the "gound force" part of the campaign is so best to be sure up front.

Just googled Alumalite; I've never had any luck with clear resins which is almost certainly due to user error! I'm thinking a more low-tech approach for the shock diamonds.

There are two ideas I'm playing with now, the most promising being a clear 3/8" acrylic rod that attaches through the rear burner ring and is fixed inside the nacelle, stretching out 6" or so past the nozzle.

I've had some luck painting the rod with thinned metallics and then using clear yellow, orange, and thinned white over the metallic for the shock diamonds.

Then, a conically shaped piece of acetate sheet painted with very thin clear blue/ purple shades will attach to the inner exhaust nozzle surface and envelop the length of the rod to diffuse the shock diamonds a little and create some depth.

Ideally, an LED inside the nacelle would light up the length of the acrylic through diffusion and create a glow, but I'm getting ahead of myself with that one!

diseasedspawn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 05:53 PM UTC
Sounds good. Hope your idea passes.

Would be nice if you could do a tutorial.

Yes, an LED would add to the effect. If it doesn't add too much work I'd say add it

have you ever tried adapting your shock diamond technique for fire like in a crash or flame thrower?
Csouthwood
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hey guys, made a start on the A-10 today, I will post some pictures as soon as I can find the camera!I plan to do a standard hangar scene with spare weapons, open inspection hatches etc.
strongarden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hey guys, Here's what fell out of the stash...

Dave
strongarden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 03:05 PM UTC
Will convert these to appropriate ground crew...

Vehicle tbd... I'm leaning towards the Lindberg Model T.

Cheers
Dave
Removed by original poster on 01/11/13 - 04:58:33 (GMT).
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, an LED would add to the effect. If it doesn't add too much work I'd say add it

have you ever tried adapting your shock diamond technique for fire like in a crash or flame thrower?

Yep, it looks like a very original and good idea.

Why don't we do some friendly blackmailing voting positively for this original idea provided that the maker makes a tutorial feature about it

and, whatever, if you don't like making tutorials, i would stil vote for a go ahead becasue somethign this original would be an inspiration for everybody

But at the en,d, its the campaing leader who decides
DrHibbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yep, it looks like a very original and good idea.

Why don't we do some friendly blackmailing voting positively for this original idea provided that the maker makes a tutorial feature about it

and, whatever, if you don't like making tutorials, i would stil vote for a go ahead becasue somethign this original would be an inspiration for everybody

But at the en,d, its the campaing leader who decides

I guarantee full disclosure!

Ordered some supplies today and drew up a simple plan to light the exhaust; I found a micro circuit-board that allows you to cycle the light pulses over a range of frequencies. Not sure how that will turn out but it was a couple bucks so we'll see what happens!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guarantee full disclosure!

Ordered some supplies today and drew up a simple plan to light the exhaust; I found a micro circuit-board that allows you to cycle the light pulses over a range of frequencies. Not sure how that will turn out but it was a couple bucks so we'll see what happens!

a few more of these original ideas and this will be the best campaign ever
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everyone, I'm new to Aeroscale and plane building. For this campaign, I'd planned to build this dio:

However, I know I'll get bogged down with all the ground equipmet AND the Blackbird, so I'm hoping you'll allow me to build something like this:

Using this as a background:

I plan to display the SR-71B, tail#956, in 3+ mach configuration which will require some neat modifications to the inlets, turkeyfeathers, etc. I'm also trying a plane/ base attachment rig using rare-earth magnets, which if it balances right, will look like it's floating freely from the front view.

Let me know if I'm straying too far from the spirit of this campaign and I'll go back to a maintenance scheme!

hey, sounds good to me, this campaign is all about bringing something extra to the model, to tell a story etc.

all the best paul
Csouthwood
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hello all, I made a start on the A-10 last night.

Glued the fuselage and the basic cockpit sub-assemblies together.

Next step is applying extras to the fuselage, the ejection seat and assembling the wings!
diseasedspawn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 04:55 PM UTC
Don't want you guys to think I'm slackin on this campaign so wanted to lay out my situation. This is everything going into the plane: Got a bagged up FW-190D-9 from a friend; Verlinden detail set with engine, cockpit tube, gun bays, and PE; and PE/ pre-painted instrument panel. (sorry for the blur. idk what happened)

Also planning on putting the girl below as nose art. I know this is a German plane and they were way too serious for such triffles but this is a memorial to my Grandfather and he wouldn't want a plane that didn't have a cute girl on it. Going to name it "GP's Honeybea." GP was what we called him and Honeybea was his pet name for my Grandmother. I think he would approve

And the reason I have yet to begun is this guy

He's gunna be a dio when done which I will share with the community since its in line with this campaigns intention, however it doesn't count as my plane since I have been building this for more than a year. (O life ) Scratchbuilding the interiors of the wings and the folding mechanisms now. Model was NOT designed to have wings folded but I painted it and thought "These wings should fold for some reason." And here I am...
 _GOTOTOP