Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Birds of Prey Campaign
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 11:26 PM UTC
Unlucky Rob .. But keep at it fella yull get there. Thanks for all the comments on my E2 guys im taking it to my local IPMS club meet tommorow so im hoping it will win model of the month
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hey all,

Lots of great Hawks finishing up, and that E-2 is flat out gorgeous.

Unfortunately life/work has gotten in the way of my F-117 Nighthawk build so I will definitely not be able to finish by the end of the month. Any chance we could get a 2 week extension? I am about ready to attach the canopy and start painting it's just not feasible to finish by the end of the weekend.

epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 10:18 AM UTC
I had a feeling we might need an extension on this one its ok with me if nobody else minds ?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 10:56 AM UTC
The neat thing about being the campaign leader is you get to decide such things
We may need to let the thread drop off the "official" list, but you can decide to keep the campaign open for a reasonable time limit past the official closing date to let the stragglers finish and award them their ribbons at that time. If you do decide that, don't forget to bookmark the campaign page (this one here) so you can more easily find it once you decide to award ribbons.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:51 PM UTC
I haven't forgotten about this campaign. Much progress has been made on the redoubtable Skua, all examples you are provided decals for got shot down attacking the DKM Scharnhorst..
First up, the undersides (except blsck and white bits) and the lighter upper surfaces colur have been applied and here it is all masked up using my paper mask method..

Then after the paint is applied..

And finally after all the masking is removed..

Undersides and decals tomorrow.
Cheers all
Warren
messynachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 142 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
Sorry all life got crazy. Im still in with my eagle. Will be finished by end date
do335b6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
some very nice builds here I feel like a beginner in a world of experts.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hush! After that masterful Uhu you're not entitled to call yourself a beginner anymore. I'd like to put that one up on the front page as well. Send me a PM for details.

By the way, you need to upload a couple of pictures to the gallery in order to qualify for your ribbon.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
We're getting close to the end now, best I get some painting done. Today, got the canopy masked then primed the whole plane. Tomorrow I'll get the airbrush out and spray the main colour.
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi guys not been on for a while as I was on holiday, then my wife took ill, so I have not had chance to see all the great work thats been going on.
Warren: Skua is looking good, masking the canopy must have been a nightmare
Winston:I have to agree with Jess the UHU has put you amongst the big boys and girls, no pressure for your next build then
Lee: Nice looking hawk, base coat on...but what markings are you going for?
Terry:Good luck with your build.
Jess:Your Hawk really looks the business and nice to see the Canadian markings on it.
Dave:The E2 looks superb buddy, very nice work.
regards Pete
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
Thanks Pete ..

Just to let everyone know there is a 2 week extension on the campaign so everyone can finish so it will now be ending on the 14th of October
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Pete ..

Just to let everyone know there is a 2 week extension on the campaign so everyone can finish so it will now be ending on the 14th of October

This is an informal extension where the campaign isn't officially extended (the campaign page still disappears from the Current Campaign list) but the award ribbons will be given out at the new end date
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all:
I won't be able to finish my P-36 Hawk, even with the extension.
I'll carry on in the Hanger Queen III Campaign. You've all done great work, I enjoyed the campaign.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC
Cheers Peter! For once I'm doing the scheme on the box, 100 Sqn, very simple gloss black finish. Considering it is such a tiny aircraft, it still took all of yesterday to do the decalling, and I still have a few more to go!

I will finish it today, as I need to clear the decks a bit, and crack on with my Phantom build as there is now only a month left.

Well done everybody!
cliffnetherlands
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
I just read trough this threat with the help of two cups of hot chocolate..And i thouroughly enjoyed it. Nice builds there. The Hawks turned out a treat. I really liked the scheme on the british one. Loved the little curtis hawks. There a personal favourite. Be it Toma-, war- or kitty- flavoured. The hawkeye really turned out gem. And well, what can i say about the Uhu. It's just a dream to work with a kit like that.

For me the campaign and it's threat is different from the groupbuild setup that i'm used to. So i was surprised at first. But i do like the set-up. Where a groupbuild with single build threats tends to die down after a while, this one kept beeing active. And it's actually fun to switch from one build to another actually. My compliments to the person that once figured this out.

All in all got really inspired to join a campaign when i have my workbench empty

Cliff
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Ok folks, I'm calling this one done. Pics are in the gallery, as well as here. This was a lot of fun, even if it was just 4 weeks for me.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
It's nice to see that the Airfix Hawk can be built successfully. I think I've stuffed mine up horribly by using a NeOmega resin cockpit which was supposedly designed to fit but my copy at least is much too large. I can't get the canopy to fit over the glare shield
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
I found the instrument panel parts were way too big, and had to be cut down substantially to get them to fit under the coaming. Also, the kit supplied pilots are tiny, way too small for 1/72.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Funnily enough no it shouldn't after consultation with the AZ models decals I was using I see that I've reversed the direction for this side! That'll teach me to pay more attention to the decal instruction sheet! I've included some pics to describe how it should look! Thanks for pointing it out Jessie I really should've paid a little more attention!

I have a feeling the decal people may have got it wrong as Kiwis and Kangaroos are always supposed to face forwards... Well they did in my day anyway and I have never seen one backwards before.
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hey Dave, Everybody,
The un-official extension is fantastic. I was attempting to build the Academy/Hobbycraft P-36 also but, as usual, ran the clock out before I even started. At least I don't have to put the kit back in inventory... yet (but hopefully not at all).
Tail-End Charlie
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Lee: It looks great buddy, and looks bigger than 1/72. Hawks were popular in this build.

Some great builds, and some fantastic work.

Good campaign.

Pete
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC
Well done everyone !! some really brilliant work from you all I have very much enjoyed leading this my first campaign and look forward to the next one I will get the awards out to you all and to thos who are still finishing up i will give them out as soon as your done .. Once again well done all

Dave
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 02:46 PM UTC
The Hawk 81-A-2 is done, but I won't be able to upload images until tomorrow as they are stashed on my laptop and must be retrieved.
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Great job everyone! Here is the current state of my Nighthawk: Sprayed a thin coat of flat black to make sure I got the wing seams hidden. Then attached the canopy with Krystal Klear and got to masking. Thanks to Eduard I could never have done this intricate masking myself, and it only took 5 minutes to get it done... I think I'm addicted.

Since I am running long for the campaign I will probably not bother with the american flag underside and go for a more operational look.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 02:13 PM UTC
Here's the completed Hawk 81-A-2, I finished it up a couple weeks ago but have been too busy to post pics

Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr