Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Lottery Campaign
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 03:36 PM UTC
My hat's off to you Stefan, that is one awesome masking job you've pulled off there!
Dangeroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thanks guys! I think the hard part will be getting the top wing on straight and... something similar to the jar of doom... THE RIGGING!!!

Andrew, what I did was print out some stars with the help of Power Point. The leftovers can be seen here:

Then I sprayed the back with the following:

It's a product you can et from different manufacturers, for example Scotch. Most important is that it's repositionable. Make sure you take away some (most) of the tack by sticking/removing it a few times from your mat. Then I simply cut our the stars and stuck them in the right place.

So, current status is that the roundels are done. After red came white as it's easier to get the center spot centered.

The result was OK, but some of the paint came under the tape, so some hand painting was required along the edges

Current status before attaching the top wing:

Cheers!
Stefan
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 06:34 AM UTC
Wicked!
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
OK, Stefan. I must admit. That is pretty sharp!

Cheers,
Fred
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 10:09 PM UTC
It has gotten quiet here of late. Some more progress on the Hobbycrap CF-100 (I agree with you Jessie!)

All masked up and no where to go..
Until next time
Cheers
Warren
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
I am going to miss the deadline. I have had to move in with a relative to provide full time care for them following major surgery and medical treatment. I have been sanding, prepping and fitting, but I don't have the ability to paint for a while. It's hard enough to get somebody else to take care of her during my work hours. I know I won't make it back to my house to use the airbrush for another month or so. I still plan to complete the bird though. I will post it in the regular forum when it is done.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am going to miss the deadline. I have had to move in with a relative to provide full time care for them following major surgery and medical treatment. I have been sanding, prepping and fitting, but I don't have the ability to paint for a while. It's hard enough to get somebody else to take care of her during my work hours. I know I won't make it back to my house to use the airbrush for another month or so. I still plan to complete the bird though. I will post it in the regular forum when it is done.

My best wishes for their speedy recovery Dave.

You may be lucky and get an extension. I think you should get one anyway.

Cheers
Warren
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 02:00 PM UTC
Almost finished. I have to rig the floats and do the X wires between the struts fore and aft.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 03:40 PM UTC
Wonderful job of it, Jessie. An exciting marking selection.

With all the fine models you seem to churn out, I often wonder if you work or sleep. There's no way I can match your assembly line efforts. Well done, indeed!!!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
Jessica-----Beautiful Stanraer. Very classy.

Stefan---The SPAD is really awesome. Great scheme.

Warren---Best of luck with the CF-100. Kudos to you for beating a Hobbycraft kit into submission.

Dave---Hope everything works out on the homefront.

Slight update on the Grand Phoenix Seafire. Applied the Extra Dark Sea Grey and the Sky undersides. Post-shading and panel line work to follow.

Best wishes,

Ian

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessica-----Beautiful Stanraer. Very classy.

Stefan---The SPAD is really awesome. Great scheme.

Warren---Best of luck with the CF-100. Kudos to you for beating a Hobbycraft kit into submission.

Dave---Hope everything works out on the homefront.

Slight update on the Grand Phoenix Seafire. Applied the Extra Dark Sea Grey and the Sky undersides. Post-shading and panel line work to follow.

Best wishes,

Ian

Thanks for that Ian, Which model is that Seafire?

@Stefan, don't forget the struts!!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hey Warren....hope you are well. This is the Grand Phoenix 1/48th scale FR.47 Seafire kit......essentially the Airfix FR.46/47 kit repackaged with Aires resin, Aires PE and Aeromaster decals. Not a bad combo but a lot of slicing and cutting.

Best wishes,

Ian
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
Got a nice rainy day in NC for modeling. I have gotten the post shading done on the
Seafire and the panel lines are drawn as well. I began work on super-detailing the mighty Rolls Royce Griffin power-plant also.

Best wishes,

Ian

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC
I just had a look at the decals I have for the CF-100 for the first time and there is a clue on the back as to why the quality of it all may not be as good as it could be.. The first part of the decal instructions are in Korean.. I thought Hobbycraft was a Canadian manufacturer? Seems I was wrong.
Here are the decals I have to work with..

As you can see there are a few problems with them. This was supposed to be a brand new kit yet the decals look decades old.. The Ejector seat warnings are especially crap, and aren't there supposed to be four of them, or are they only dangerous on one side of the aircraft? The no step placards are also hopeless. Will see how I go.
Cheers
Warren
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hobbycraft is/was a Canadian distributor; they outsourced their kit production to Korean firms, which explains why Academy has reissued many Hobbycraft kits. Decals from that era of Hobbycraft's existence were uniformly horrid. If you can manage it, I would recommend that you replace them with a sheet from CanMilAir. There's even a proper 409 Sqn bird on offer.

CF-100s usually only had two ejection seat triangles because the intakes covered up the place they'd otherwise go on the backseater's cockpit.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobbycraft is/was a Canadian distributor; they outsourced their kit production to Korean firms, which explains why Academy has reissued many Hobbycraft kits. Decals from that era of Hobbycraft's existence were uniformly horrid. If you can manage it, I would recommend that you replace them with a sheet from CanMilAir. There's even a proper 409 Sqn bird on offer.

CF-100s usually only had two ejection seat triangles because the intakes covered up the place they'd otherwise go on the backseater's cockpit.

That explains that.. As to the decals, I do not want to spend anymore money on this kit as things are tight at the moment and this isn't the best kit in the world..
So, without any further ado, here is the first part of my Lottery finished..

My Mother always told me if you couldn't say anything nice about something then say nothing.. although the fit wasn't too bad in places..
As if to emphasise that it didn't like being assembled one of the nose wheels fell off as I was taking it back to the hobby room.
Now onto the Record Breaker part of my contract..
Cheers all
Warren
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 02:39 PM UTC
It's always nice to see a good Clunk.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 02:57 AM UTC
Warren, you certainly made a silk purse out of that sow's ear. Well done, sir. Got the Rolls Royce Griffon mounted in the Seafire. I will work on the sub-assemblies today and shade the panel lines soon.

Best wishes,

Ian

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
I almost forgotted...
Here is the second build for this campaign..

Tamiya's 1/72 Bell X-1. Moulds were originally manufactured by Hobby-Spot-U, a Japanese Hobby Shop that Tamiya took over I presume.. (there is one for sale on Ebay at the moment!!)
This build is for the,,
"Need for Speed" Build any aircraft that (just cite your sources) has for any period of time held the all-out World Air Speed Record.
Do I really need to cite any sources for this one.. Just Wikipedia it if you are in doubt.. under Flight Speed Record..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 07:44 PM UTC
Some more progress on the little Bell bullet..

Gotta love nice, simple 1/72 subjects.. but this one is not living up to Tamiya's oft described shake and bake standard with questionable fit etc. Just shows Tamiya doesn't get it right every time...
Cheers Warren
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 08:21 PM UTC
Nice progress, guys 'n' gals!

Gotta love the seafire's paintjob. Lovely!

I realise how little time is left until the end of the campaign. I might not be able to get my NASA project off the ground. As I have decided to move my workshop from one room to next next, but ended up opening a can of worms, with paint, power supply, and storage room. I wanted to finish the move this weekend, but just finishied electrics and paint. It'll take me all week to move my stuff alone, I fear.
Still I am keeping hope alive, as the kit has a small party count.

Keep the glue flowing!

Cheers,
Guido
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
In the finishing straight now!!

Some small touch ups, apply the decals and the undercarriage doors .. then we will see if the over-weight lady sings..
Cheers
Warren
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
Ian, I agree with Guido on that fantastic paint!
Guido, enjoy the new modeling surrounds. Keep at it.
Warren, I like the Canuck as you've built it-- don't sweat other decals. I feel the same way many times.
As for your X-1, those Tamiya kits really do seem to fall together, don't they-- or maybe guys like you only make it look that way? Looking forward to a quick finish on that one!

I keep revisiting this thread. It's a fun one.
Cheers, all!
-Sean H.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian, I agree with Guido on that fantastic paint!
Guido, enjoy the new modeling surrounds. Keep at it.
Warren, I like the Canuck as you've built it-- don't sweat other decals. I feel the same way many times.
As for your X-1, those Tamiya kits really do seem to fall together, don't they-- or maybe guys like you only make it look that way? Looking forward to a quick finish on that one!

I keep revisiting this thread. It's a fun one.
Cheers, all!
-Sean H.

Thanks for that Sean..

It seems a waste of money to spend extra on a below par kit.

Actually this kit hasn't fallen together like I had hoped. It has taken much more fiddling to get right than the Special Hobby Skua I finished a few weeks ago. The molds were originally made by a hobby shop in Japan and Tamiya took them over.

Not blowing my own trumpet or anything, just advising people who may be tempted to build the kit.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC
Phew! beat the clock!
The decals are not even dry but I couldn't wait to get 'Glamorous Glennis' uploaded!

I took the last one just to illustrate how close to the ground the tail was.
A quick tale, just after I completed the build I was trying to put a clamp on the models tail so I could get it to sit vertically while the stupidly long nose probe dried. I thought I had the tail clamped but as soon as I let the model go it decided to try and fly. It turned instantly into a plummet and it hit the carpet. One of the horizontal stabs parted company as did a tiny piece off the port wing probe, which looked like sone kind of yaw sensor. I have not been able to find it since. One day, if I discover it in the carpet I will reattach it..
Cheers everyone and good luck with your remaining builds..
Regards
Warren