Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Enlisting: Russell Anderson Memorial Campaign
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
All my other projects will have to be on hold, for this campaign is my absolute priority. I was looking at the pictures of Russell s stash and saw that there were a few LW bombers, including one Ju88 and one Ju88 Mistel. This is something where our interest overlaped, so I picked up a Ju88A4 at my LHS. So nothing more to add, just sitting and waiting for the start I think...
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Don't know how I missed this truly sad news about Russell's passing. My sincerest condolences to the Anderson Family on their loss. He was way to young to leave us.

When I 1st joined Aeroscale, Russell was a consistent follower and poster in my build blogs. I know that I'll miss him for what he brought to our community, as well as the way he always conducted himself.

I'm signing up now for his memorial campaign.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was looking at the pictures of Russell s stash and saw that there were a few LW bombers, including one Ju88 and one Ju88 Mistel...

Hi there

Talking of which... the Mistel landed safely at Castle Aeroscale today, together with a Kübelwagen to make a neat vignette:

Many thanks Fred.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi again

I made a trip to the LHS to get a Fw 190 to complete the "Mistel":

I wonder if Russell was fooled like me by AMTech's box-top and assumed the kit contained both elements of the "Mistel"? I should go back and have a look at the photos of his Stash to see if he also bought a '190 to accompany it.

Anyway, I'll try to do Russell proud with my effort and hopefully he'd approve of the result.

Bays Mountain Park are placing a bench in his name overlooking the lake and dedicating a seat in Russell's beloved planetarium. I've made a donation and the response from Russell's friends at the park made it clear that it wasn't only us here at Aeroscale who were so touched by his big hearted love of life. He will be deeply missed.

All the best

Rowan
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi here is my build for the campaign, I will be placing the Mustang on a base as Russell liked to do:-

Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I'll be building Russell's P-51D Mustang, still unwrapped. I'll start the Serian if I have enough time. Russell already started work on it. Enjoy the campaign to honor a fellow modeler who was a friend to many.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

Has anyone thought of a Russell Anderson II campaign for 1/72 aircraft?
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
Rowan, you are right. That box art is very deceiving in regards to the FW-190. Nonetheless, the Airfix offering should round it out nicely. Look forward to seeing it.

Best wishes,

Ian
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Ian

I'm glad it's not just me thinking AMTech were a bit naughty with their box-top. Still, it is a really inspiring painting and it'll be a blast trying my hand at that camouflage.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Don

Talk about "synchronicity"! I'm reading Jack Kerouac's "On the road" and he's just arrived in Denver! So I did a real double-take at your shot of The Sunday Denver Post - it's uncannily well timed!

All the best

Rowan
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:09 AM UTC
Howdy Rowan
That's very interesting; On the Road was one of my favorites.
Can't wait to see your build. It'll be an awesome model when completed. It the Fw-190 an old Airfix kit or from new molds? I can never tell so I stay from the Airfix kits.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Don

I'm really enjoying On The Road so far - I wish I'd read it years ago! It's a book I've always "meant to read", but put off in the misapprehension that it's somehow "hard work"... but it's not at all - it's got me enthralled. It reminds me of Steinbeck in a way (some of the characters could have stepped out of Cannery Row) - a remark which might have had the Beat generation at my throat...

The Airfix Fw 190 is a new-tool and very impressive at first sight. I've snapped some sprue shots and will use this campaign as a basis for a build-review.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC
This thought has crossed my mind a few times over the last couple of days.

I originally met Russell here during my 1st build blog of the 1/48 scale Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair. Russell really appreciated the detail that scale offered. He also was one of the most consistent posters throughout that build, and was extremely encouraging to a brand new member. I also had posted three 1/48 scale aircraft that I had built previously before joining Aeroscale. All had a nice big prop up front which appealed to both of us.

Anyway, everyone is doing a 1/72 scale aircraft because that was Russell's scale of choice. I just thought that it would be more meaningful to me to dedicate another 1/48 scale build to his memory. I'd like to display it on a base, dedicated to his memory. So what do you all think, or should I just build a 1/72 aircraft?
Thanks,
Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:47 AM UTC
Although the campaign rules state that 1/72 is the scale to build in, I think it ought to be your choice, Joel. Russel was never one for forcing other people to be like him or do things his way. If anyone lived Al Superczynski's motto it was him.

“Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to, and above all, have fun.”
- Al Superczynski (Modeler Al from USENET rec.models.scale)

In fact I think that we here at Kitmaker network ought to adopt Al's motto as our own.

So there are equally valid reasons to build in 1/72 or 1/48: 1/72 because it was Russel's favourite and you'd like to honour that, or 1/48 because that's what you like to build in. In the end it's your choice, and the reasons you make your decision are not ours to question.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
By the way, should we not be having this discussion in the "Official" thread now that the campaign is already one day old?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although the campaign rules state that 1/72 is the scale to build in, I think it ought to be your choice, Joel. Russel was never one for forcing other people to be like him or do things his way. If anyone lived Al Superczynski's motto it was him.

“Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to, and above all, have fun.”
- Al Superczynski (Modeler Al from USENET rec.models.scale)

In fact I think that we here at Kitmaker network ought to adopt Al's motto as our own.

So there are equally valid reasons to build in 1/72 or 1/48: 1/72 because it was Russel's favourite and you'd like to honour that, or 1/48 because that's what you like to build in. In the end it's your choice, and the reasons you make your decision are not ours to question.

Jessica,
Thank you for that.

I'd really like to build another 1/48 scale F4U that 1st brought us together. I know it would mean more to me then just building something in 1/72 scale.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC
Jessica, is there an official thread besides this one or did I miss something?

Regards,

Ian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
No, that's what I was hinting to our dear Campaigns Administrator about
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:40 AM UTC
Gotcha!!!!!!! Had me looking for another thread.....thought I better lay off the Crown Royal 'cause I couldn't find it.

Best wishes,

Ian
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:13 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
@Administrator: Is it possible to start an "Official" tread now that the campaign has begun?
@Ian: Here's to you and the Crown Royal I just finished off the Jose Cuervo myself.
@Jesse: After much thought & deliberation I think you should go for the natural metal w/red hull scheme. (That's the tequila talking)
Y'all take care,
This looks like it's going to be a good campaign.
Don "Lakota"
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC
Got the F-106 & Thunderjet today !

Thanks Fred !!!

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC
Andrew, I'm looking forward to seeing the Victor built.

My entry will be the AMT Star Trek Vulcan Shuttle.

A little work has been done. Mostly some on the shuttle pod and the warp nacelles are assembled. Just needs a good file down of the filler. The pod is held to the warp 'sled' with a pair of neodinium magnets, allowing it to be detached. Quite a clever idea I think. Some of you may be wondering about the pink plastic, well to answer that the original studio model was painted bright pink! According to the kits instructions, the plastic is exactly the same shade so you can either leave it bare (as if!) or mix paints to match. I'm not sure I like the shade. I want to keep it a pinky shade so I'm planning on using either Royal Navy Mountbatten pink or RAF desert pink. To complicate things further, the original film makers thought the same and put the film through filters to change it to a pale grey.

The decal sheets are both A4 sized and include all panels, thrusters, and optional names and numbers for Vulcan shuttles and a couple assigned to the Enterprise.

Russell would have loved to have seen this kit built and its a pity I never dragged it out earlier.
Stephen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi there

Kicking off tomorrow. What to start with - Ju 88, Fw 190 or Kübelwagen?... Decisions, decisions!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Kicking off tomorrow. What to start with - Ju 88, Fw 190 or Kübelwagen?... Decisions, decisions!

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
I'll vote for the Ju88.
Joel
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 03:52 PM UTC
For this campaign I'll be building the Interplanetary UFO otherwise known as the Uri Gagarin.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
I'll vote for the Ju88.
Joel

Hi Joel

OK - the Ju 88 it is.

All the best

Rowan