Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Land of the Rising Sun Campaign
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Some update shots of my N1K2. Had some other progress shots from a couple weeks ago but I can't find that SD card. Aluminum under sides and yellow ID stripes were already completed, so here's the (almost done) upper surfaces.

First time using silly putty masks, and also first time using my brand-new spray booth! I also ended up buying Montex canopy masks for the kit; tried to do the masking on my own but the pane edges are very shallow and I found it very difficult to do by hand. I'll hopefully have this sucker done very soon... now that I've got the spray booth, my set up and break down time is MUCH faster!
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC
Apologies for the double post, I kept working at it tonight and here are the results. Base coat is completely finished!

Some touch-up work is still needed, but other than that, the flaps, landing gear, fuel tank and guns are the only things left to paint at this point.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

both rattle cans.

which makes it even more infuriating... and heartbreaking...
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
Well, do to time constraints I'm changing my entry for this campaign to a commercial entry, a Japanese Cessna 172 Sea Plane in 1/72 scale. This will have to be a speed build. I would certainly like to finish the campaign since I designed the ribbon for it!
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 02:45 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all

Lots of good work, I've enjoyed watching the builds.
I'm going to have bow out of this campaign. I had too much going on this summer-two funerals.
Take care and Good Luck,
Don "Lakota"
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 01:14 PM UTC
The Cessna 172 is assembled, I'll be working more on sanding tomorrow. The glass had 1 mm gaps so I filled the offending gaps with plastic card and filler. The glass also had several cracks so I plan on treating the glass like a small scale commercial airplane kit and paint it gloss Brunswick Green (black-green).
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 04:39 AM UTC
Here is my completed entry:-

1:48 Tamiya Zero (Zeke).
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
Richard, beautifully executed Zero you've done there.

Kevin K. that's some nice looking work on that N1K. I had to do a little reading on that aircraft, a very interesting subject.

I am back in the game after a week long penalty. sanding the white painted areas down to primer and repainting wasn't hard, but doing the masking all over again, I was really unhappy about that.

the only visible flaws are my lame attempts to restore the panel lines on the YS-11T. i never will be any good at that.

stripping all the way back to bare plastic would have been better, the molded detail, panel lines and so on have all but disappeared, but I'm moving ahead. In 1/144 scale actually, when you go into it, panel lines are practically invisible anyway.

decals next. both kits have super nice looking decal sheets.

masking is a task where I feel I do get good results generally.

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 11:22 AM UTC
I've gotten to the masking, painting, and decal stage on my little Cessna Float Plane. The widows were not a total write off, a bit more sanding and polishing followed by Future may help. I used a gob of filler between the wing and front windscreen.

I'm enjoying all of the groups projects on this campaign.
thewrongguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi again. Pretty swamped with work, but still making some progress.

There is some weird optical illusions going on with this photo (anti-glare looks off by cockpit door and exhaust looks like brass) so I'll try to bust out the good camera for better photos this weekend.

I haven't been posting much, but their is some inspirational stuff going on here.

Cheers

Jeff
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard, beautifully executed Zero you've done there.

Kevin K. that's some nice looking work on that N1K. I had to do a little reading on that aircraft, a very interesting subject.

I am back in the game after a week long penalty. sanding the white painted areas down to primer and repainting wasn't hard, but doing the masking all over again, I was really unhappy about that.

the only visible flaws are my lame attempts to restore the panel lines on the YS-11T. i never will be any good at that.

stripping all the way back to bare plastic would have been better, the molded detail, panel lines and so on have all but disappeared, but I'm moving ahead. In 1/144 scale actually, when you go into it, panel lines are practically invisible anyway.

decals next. both kits have super nice looking decal sheets.

masking is a task where I feel I do get good results generally.

I agree with you on the panel lines. Blimey, I even fill them in on 1/72 kits. Keep going mate, you're nearly there.

Congrats to all the guys who've finished so far - and I will be posting pics tomorrow I promise!
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:35 PM UTC
As promised - pics!

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:35 AM UTC
Looks good Neil. Still two weeks to go - keep er moving!

I got the decals done on the Orion. the decals in the LS kit are very nice indeed, though the red roundel on the fuselage is a bit transparent and in bright light you can see the color line through it. meh. moving on.

just a bit of detail painting left, filling the windows, and a few small parts to mount, and build the L/G, which Ive painted already on the sprues.
Will be decorating the YS-11T tonight.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:51 PM UTC
a good step done on the YS-11T

the instructions called for painting the hi vis orange areas, but Ive had enough masking and spraying on this model. instead I sprayed a piece of white decal film and made trim film bits. not very precisely cut unfortunatley. the nose I brush painted, and so its a slightly different color over gray instead of white.
But overall it is very pleasing.
Only about half the decals done and then there are a number of small parts to mount.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Orion looks awesome Jonathon, and you chose my favourite of the markings options, the one that looks like a baddy from Scooby Doo!
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC
Yup, it's Orion!

the Hasegawa kit decorates really nice.
Removed by original poster on 08/20/14 - 03:15:27 (GMT).
thewrongguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 03:17 PM UTC
Starting to get a whiff of the finish line.

Got myself all cross-eyed with a small fine brush and aluminium paint the past couple nights. I finished the propeller and the canopy is masked but not painted yet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll put my last clear on it and be able to take out the tape covering the cockpit and see how that held up. I expect touch ups inside

I've REALLY enjoyed the change of scenery for this build (first prop plane since in more then 20 years) and I've added two other 1/32 kits to the stash since I've started it. The Mrs' does not approve.

Cheers

Jeff
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC
The missus might not approve Jeff, but I sure do
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 12:24 PM UTC
Well I have made some progress on my KI-44. I have got the cockpit done and installed in the fuselage. The fuselage has now been glued together. It looks like I probably will not finish the kit by the deadline, but I feel I will eventually get it put together, and that will be alright too.

thewrongguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 01:46 PM UTC
Well I'm calling this one done. 2nd Build of 2014 and 1st I'm not embarrassed of.

It's not 100% accurate I'm sure, but I'm pretty happy with it. There's definitely things I'd do different 2nd time around but good learning experience. Thanks for everyone that gave compliments or constructive criticism.

Cheers

Jeff
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I'm calling this one done. 2nd Build of 2014 and 1st I'm not embarrassed of.

It's not 100% accurate I'm sure, but I'm pretty happy with it. There's definitely things I'd do different 2nd time around but good learning experience. Thanks for everyone that gave compliments or constructive criticism.

Cheers

Jeff

Very nice,I hope mine turns out half as nice.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
The undercoat is on and it looks good.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC
I had a very productive Friday night, a few more of these and I might even make it before the deadline !

Salt-chipping...

...went a bit over the top but that can be fixed!

Build blog is here.

Magnus
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 08:37 AM UTC
As usually the last seek of the campaign is very exciting.
Jeff and Magnus, some impressive paint chipping effects on both models!

This Orion is almost done, just some minor paint touch up needed, and a second go around filling the windows with Krystalclear.

I have all next week at home so expect to finish both my JMSDF planes by the 31st.