Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Duel in the Sky" pre-Campaign thread...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Phil I'm gonna say yes, but be warned that I have alot on the go so, even with a long time to finish, I could prevent you from getting your ribbon. Having said that I never relish the thought of letting anyone down and I really do want to build the Camel. Although I don't know it as a fact I bet that "you just can't have too many Sopwith Camels" :-)
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all!

I see couples are forming! :-)8 Way to go guys!

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi Jean Luc:

I saw you will build a French fighter from 1940.
Nigel is going to build a Bf 109.
If you both want we can make an Oponent Group with my Spitfire Mk I.

Regards.
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jean Luc:

Regards.

I've got a Mk1 Spit that is just begging to be adorned with some fantastic SkyDecals from Cartograph...... what are the odds Nigel will survive a three to one encounter?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd definitely like to join this campaign. I intend to build one of the following:

F-4 Phantom
F-15 Eagle
F-16 Fighting Falcon

So a bunch of possible opponents there I guess, perhaps some cold war or middle east era opponent.

Your opponent doesn't have to be limited to a Cold War or Middle East opponent. Grant.

I have witnessed. ( and Jean Luc would have to approve it). The 3 planes you mentioned "Dog Fighting" in training missions of course. While attached to the Squadrons.

A-4's AV-8B's F-14's and A-7's.

I have 3 out of the 4 planes mentoned. (the f-14 being the odd man out). So if noone else comes up an opponent I'll give you the choice of the 3 for me to build and if someone does come up I can adjust the build to fit the group of 3 if you want.

Paul
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jean Luc:

Regards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a Mk1 Spit that is just begging to be adorned with some fantastic SkyDecals from Cartograph...... what are the odds Nigel will survive a three to one encounter?

:-) :-) :-) Bring it on guys!!
insolitus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's this "auto censored" thing!

I just wanted to write "Arse"nal VG-33! :-) Now that's funny... cockpit is working!

I like [auto-censored]nal because Thierry Henry is playing in the team!

Jean-Luc

Hmmm... I wonder if it auto-censore Manchester United too...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
Wow! Calm down guys! :-)

The rules are two opponents minimum and three maximum! Sorry but four is one too much as this would make two duels...
So Spitfire guys, will you please leave my Messer alone! I saw it first! :-) I'm sure you will find another nice target. Didn't someone mentionned a Heinkel He 111 or a Dornier Do 17?

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quote:

Hi Jean Luc:

Regards.

:-) :-) :-) Bring it on guys!!

Hi Nigel:

I´ll go through the time tunel and I´ll see you over the Chanel in 1940
:-) :-) :-)
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So if noone else comes up an opponent I'll give you the choice of the 3 for me to build and if someone does come up I can adjust the build to fit the group of 3 if you want.

Paul

Hey thanks.
winters1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brussels, Belgium
KitMaker: 166 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC
yes, I mentioned a He111 but I already PM'd VonCuda about his P-38J against my Zero. But eh didn't reply yet. If he doesn't want someone can challenge my He111

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 07:16 PM UTC
I am actually dueling twice. Once with a ki-84 and the other (not quite sure yet, but have a second opponent).
Leon
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi guys. I didn't enlist yet but I will soon. I am building a La7 (Kozhedub's) and I have an oponent from the local guys who will build Me109G (Hartmann). My main question is I want to make a double entry(I know Iknow I am not expecting double ribbon) and my other project is the 1974 Cypruss confrontation. Any Greeks guys out there who wishes to join me with a Greek fighter(or we can build the oposite sides, I am in for either way)??? I am planing to find a F102 (which is claimed to have a dogfight fith Greek F5's and both sides claim they shot down the other, funny:}). Anyone???
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi all,
This really sounds like a great campaign. I am pairing up with newtothegame for this one. I'll go doing a bf 109E probably WWII North Arfica. Between me and newtothegame, we are trying to come up with a good adversary for my 109.

Wayne
Wad_ware
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So if noone else comes up an opponent I'll give you the choice of the 3 for me to build and if someone does come up I can adjust the build to fit the group of 3 if you want.

Paul

Hey thanks.

Just shoot a message on what you decide or post it here for approval. Between the two of us we should be able to come up with something.

Paul
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just shoot a message on what you decide or post it here for approval. Between the two of us we should be able to come up with something.

Hi Paul, I think I'd like to build an F-16. I have my eye on one in 1/32.

Grant
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
This will be my entry against Lilaviators aircraft. It is a vac-form 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-48 Lily, which will fly in the markings of the mighty Japanese air force .
I haven't found the exact markings for this aircraft yet for the theatre of operations . I think we are still doing the Burmese theatre, as i know Hunter wanted to do a AVG Flying Tigers P-40, so expect mine to be shot down in about 20 seconds of the duel starting :-) .
Andy (++)
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Wayne

If you're doing a desert 109 I have the Trumpeter P40B (Tomahawk IIA) which I want to do as a 3 squadron RAAF bird - Nicky Barr's in particular from when they were in Libya. I'll have to mask the codes etc.

So if you want to take on an Aussie ace you're on.

Brian
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi all.
This really is shaping up to be a great campaign!
Congratulations Jean Luc on the artwork and the ribbon looks great! (soon be time to dish out those SYT ribbons:))
I will PM you soon to talk decals for my 109 and we can narrow the exact time frame down a bit.
Spitfire guys,,we are going to have to dissapoint you on this,as no Spitfires were sent to France at that time
So it looks like its my 109 against whatever the French Air Force can put up against me.I shall be waiting in the sun:)
Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
here's something i remembered today,which might not make me too popular. its this, i read about a "dogfight" between a coastal command halifax and a focke wulf condor which is the only recorded 4 engine one on one battle of WW2. its a shame my revell halifax is provisionally down for the bombs away.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi all!

I like the way this thread evolves! Like a dogfight in some way with pilots circling around trying to find an opponent! Way to go guys!

Quoted Text

Spitfire guys,,we are going to have to dissapoint you on this,as no Spitfires were sent to France at that time

But some did fly cover missions while operation "Dynamo" (the retreat of the British Expeditionnary Troups at Dunkerque). But they were based in England. I would say the Spitfire guys should wait a little longer... maybe a nice Me 109E, Stuka, He 111 or Dornier Do17 will show up! If not, I'm sure we will find a solution...

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
i have a hurricane kit with a BoB version i almost forgot i had, ironicaly it was in an airfix dogfight double set i got last december paired with a JU88
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Paul, I think I'd like to build an F-16. I have my eye on one in 1/32.

Grant

I just happen to have 2 that would fit the bill.

First option would be my 1/32 OA-4M With the H&MS 32 Outlaw markings that when I was attached to them. We would play the itty bitty Migs for the Falcons when deployed to the Air Force bases or they came to us. Kind of cool watching a Scooter try to outrun a Falcon.

Second would be a 1/48 AV-8B Harrier. Equally as fun watching a Falcon try to get a bead on a Jet that once it looked like it was done for would "Jump" out of the way.

Anything about an A-7 dogfighting an F-16 I am not aware of. If anyone knows of it then please help me out there.

Seeing that you are going the 1/32 route I am leaning toward the Scooter of the same scale. At least the size on the box will match.

You may be able to out run me. But if I see you coming and turn quick and tight enough you are going to get an annoying little tone in your helmet.. :-)

Paul
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hi Brian

By the rules of the campaign we can have up to three in a group. You are very welcome to join up with me and newtothegame. Excellent

That really opens the door to help newtothegame with a lot more choices in his 'dueling' aircraft. With you doing the Tomahak he can either choose an adversary for yours or one against my 109.

Welcome aboard

Wayne
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First option would be my 1/32 OA-4M With the H&MS 32 Outlaw markings that when I was attached to them. We would play the itty bitty Migs for the Falcons when deployed to the Air Force bases or they came to us. Kind of cool watching a Scooter try to outrun a Falcon.

That sounds great Paul. The A-4 is a favourite of mine too. Our airforce (when we had one) used to fly them. I've just ordered a Tamiya 1/32 F-16. I better get some practice in so I can do the model justice. :-)