_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Bloody April: Karl Schaefer vs C.S.Hall
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:11 PM UTC
On April 7th 1917 Manfred von Richthofen led Alabatros DIII fighters of Jasta 11 in an attack on Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters. A patrol of Nieuports from 60 Sq. R.F.C. intervened and the usual individual combats ensued. Rising Jasta 11 star, Karl Emil Schaefer singled out 2nd lieutenant C.S. Hall, flying Nieuport 23, A'6667, as his oponent. Hall was shot down and killed, another of the many tragic losses suffered by both sides during "Bloody April".

I have chosen to model Emil Schaefers Albatros DIII utilizing Eduards excellent kit. Halls Nieuport 23 will also be an Eduard offering, their original R.F.C. version of the 17. Both kits are 1/48th.

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC
I will post the pictures as soon as I figure out how to attach :-)
RAGIII

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:03 AM UTC
Some of the reference material:

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
The kits selected are the Eduard Weekend Edition Albatros DIII kit #8436 for Karl Emil Schaefer

and... eduard Nieuport 17 R.F.C. kit # 8024 for C.S.Hall

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:29 AM UTC
I wish you all the best in these busy modellingweeks.

Cheers, Nico
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
Thanks Nico, I will need all of the luck I can get.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Here are the first images of the Nieuport 23 build. A couple of days work this past weekend. Due to the time constraints the kits will be "Mostly" out of the box builds. I started by spraying a coat of Polyscale CDL on all interior parts. The next step was to use artist oils for the wood grain. I brushed at an angle to simulate the strips of wood used on the cockpit sides. I happened to have some PE from another kit so I used the seat and the bar for the throttle. Eduard would have you just leave out all of the parts for the Vickers gun on the interior. This would leave a clear view all of the way to the front of the fuselage. I chose to represent the fuel tank with styrene sheet cut to fit the interior. I also added some structure near the fron of the fuselage sides. By the way, My intent here is to give arepresentation not to duplicate the original. This week I am modeling for myself.... maybe next week I will model for God! What can't be seen will not be modeled.

For time reasons I did not use my tripod and lighting. Hopefully I will post a couple of better quality pics when I am ready to close up the fuselage.
RAGIII

P.S. I moved the location of the "Fuel Tank " a little further forward by the time I took the third picture.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 01:06 PM UTC
Go RAGIII go!
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement! If all goes well today the interiors will be ready to close the fuselage on both the Nieuport and Albatros. I will do a photo shoot later this evening.
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:56 AM UTC
Looks good so far. Welcome to Aeorscale. I look forward to you getting this one done. Clock is ticking.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:47 PM UTC
Here are some updates: 1. Nieuport progress. I jave added spare drums to the fuselage sides(1) per side. No time to simulate a wire securing the drum, Oh well! 2. Nieuport progress on the other fuselage. 3.&4. The first of the Albatros pictures. Pretty much out of the box with the addition of a few PE parts. I used a couple of Stephens suggestions on the interior. One thing I noticed is that Eduard would have you mount the switch panel in front of the tubular section on their instructions. Their side view however shows the right location. I used Brads Roden build to confirm the location.
final step will be a wash of Oils ,Black and Burnt Sienna, in both cockpits to define the panel lines. Finally, again my appologies for the photo quality, I am really trying to save all the time I can, so no tripod ! All hand held.

again, thanks to all for the encouragement,
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
Both fuselages, Nieuport and Albatros, have been joined. Albatros tail surfaces have been added. Todays mission, Drill ALL of the locating holes for rigging in both kits!
RAGIII
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
And did you manage to do all this? Suspect no work will be done on this particluar day

Greetings, Nico
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
Nico,
Mission accomplished . Today, although Friday the 13th, I will attempt to do all of the filling and sanding. I will also do a little painting if weather permits. No moisture trap right now as my old one fell off of its mount and cracked. Lots of humidity in the mountains of North Carolina today

RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc,...

Looks good so far.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc,...

Looks good so far.

Thanks! By the way both are ready for painting. I actually painted the cowl panels around the engine on the Albatros today. an easy hand painted area!
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Here are my latest update photos. Wings have the first "Basic" paint scheme layed out. Fuselage together with some preliminary painting around engine, engine covers.

Paints are mainly Misterkit Acrylics with the green and RLM 02 by Polyscale.
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC
We haven't heard from you for a few days. Are you going to make it?

We are pulling for you.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
I am still in the fight! Two setbacks today that could prove fatal.
1. Airbrush hose problems. NO Hobby Shop in my area to replace quickly. Using the cheap plastic hose that keeps Blowing off under pressure!
2. I think I have prepared the wrong wing for the Albatros. I am doing Schaefers wood fuselage with Black Tail bird. I looked at pictures today and I think the Radiator is of the offset type? Stephen if you read this let me know for sure.

On the other hand, the albatros has the wood grain painted, and louvers etc. also finished. Today I managed to paint the Nieuport ( Mostly) :-)
Photos will be taken tomorrow!
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Rick here is what Dan San Abbott has said in his studies.

Ltn. Karl-Emil Schäfer had a Alb.D.III with centrally mounted radiator and a serial number range of D.2000/16 to D.2099/16. From Ed Ferko's list there are several possibilities.

Based at La Brayelle Airfield.
On 4 April crashed while landing. It appears the left upper wing tip was damaged in this crashed landing.

Ref. photo, top of page 22 of "RICHTHOFEN" by Ed Ferko. The third machine in the row is Ltn. Karl-Emil Schäfer's red and black Alb.D.III with a repair on left upper wing tip.

On 5 April 1917, Alb.D.2233/16 was received at Jasta 11.
This may be the machine pictured on page 18 middle. The camouflage visible on the leading edge of the wings fits the camouflage pattern of D.2233/16 in my Alb.D.III study.

On 13 April 1917, Ltn. Schäfer is shot down and makes it back to his airfield and lands safely.

On 13 April 1917, Jasta 11 moves to Roucourt Airfield.
The Alb.D.III with a large repair patch has moved to Roucourt Airfield, see photo on bottom left of page 18.

On 22 April 1917, Ltn. Schäfer is shot down and crashes in front of the British lines in in no man's land. He leaves the crashed Alb.D.III and escapes to the German front lines.

We don't know which one was crashed, the first or second machine. (edit) But both were Central Radiator.

On 27 April 1917, Ltn. Schäfer is transferred to Jasta28w as Jastaführer.
Ref. Cross &Cockade Journal, Great Britain, Vol.11,No.4 1980, page 147 top photo. The caption on the photo identifies the 11 machines being from "Jastas 18 and 28".

While the markings on the 11 Alb.D.III aircraft are not consistant with Jasta 18, they are with Jasta 28w. However, Jasta 28w was never based at Halliun Airfield, the base of Jasta 18. Both of these units were in German 6. Armee, with Jasta28w at Wasquehal Airfield from 26 March to 26 August 1917, and Jasta 18 at Halliun Airfield from26 October 1916 to 12 June 1917.

If it is Jasta 28w photographed at Halliun Airfield, then the Alb.D.III at the far left end of the line, is painted up like the first Alb.D.III. Unfortunately the radiator is not discernable in the photo.

Ltn. Karl-Emil Schäfer was killed in combat on 5 June 1917.

Central Radiator is good.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 04:13 PM UTC
Here is another bit of fun.
More on Schäfer.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick here is what Dan San Abbott has said in his studies.

Thanks Stephen, that makes life good again
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
Here are the promissed update photos:

Initial Painting is done on the Nieuport. Some oil washes applied. Basic color is Testors Model Master Acrylic Silver with a touch of Light Ghost grey. struts have been positioned for mounting the upper wing.
Wood Grain is applied on the Albatros, and lower wings attached.
Tonights mission: Mount the upper wing on the Nieuport and attach the struts on the Albatros. I will paint the cowl ring and Tail on the Albatros tomorrow :-)
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC
Mounting of upper wing on the Nieuport went smoother than expected :-)
Photos taken moments ago:

RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
Looking good Rick, keep at it!
 _GOTOTOP