_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
2nd Annual Aeroscale Early Bird Contest 2007
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:31 PM UTC
Ok, thought I might throw my entry in before I depart my computer for X-mas!

My entry is the 1/32 Roden Albatros D.III in the markings of Ltn Werner Voss, Jasta 5, June 1917. This aircraft was used by Voss for the first half of 1917 and he scored a large number of victories with it. This aircraft followed him from Jasta 2 to Jasta 5. For full build article, check here:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/98428&page=1

Major alterations to the kit included:

- Incorporation of the Eduard photoetched fret;

- Wiring, plumbing, spark plugs, rocker arms, and springs and other details added to engine;

- Wiring added to cockpit;

- Cowling panels removed;

- Radiator moved from central wing to starboard wing position as per later models of the D.III;

- Bungee chords and rigging from elastic (rigging attached to "Bob's Buckles" turnbuckles);

- Decals are a combination of kit decals and decals from Spada.

Hope you guys like it!

Cheers,

BC

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC
To say "like it" would be quit an understatement. It's briliant, as always! Very wonderfull built and the same thing for that Jenny!

Cheers, Nico
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 09:30 AM UTC
Just when I think I raised my build level to something I am proud of, Kalt, and Brad post their entries. I just took mine and gave it to the neighborhood kid next door. He's the only one that could appreciate my work and he's 12. Does wonders for my ego if you know what I mean. There are model genius' on this site and the skill in one follicle of hair on their head beats all my skill combined. Model on mates, I'll be in the cheering section.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 07:04 PM UTC
Kalt and Brad Nice start - great works.

Jeff, Feel free to post the images even if the model has been gifted to someone else. To get from here to there never worry about what others think. We all started somewhere. I am not the greatest builder, either but I have lots of enthusiasm. We support one another here.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:37 PM UTC
OK then, here's my entry - no point building something elible and not entering is there?

It's the Roden 1/72 scale Gotha G.IV kit. My chosen subject is w/n 604/16 of Kagohl 3, based from Flanders Coast, Nieuwmunster in 1917.

Entirely OOB except for the Rigging (which is nylon mending thread) and bare-metal foil straps on the overwing fuel tanks.

Andrew

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Three excellent entries so far. 2 days to go - full throttle folks we are almost at the finish!
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 09:11 PM UTC
Wingnuts,
For your consideration, this is my entry. The kit is the 1/48 scale Eduard Roland C.II or "Walfish" kit number 1116. Per the instructions it was crewed by pilot Lt Seibert and observer Haupt. Pflieger of FA 5b in the fall of 1916 on the Western front. This is a "Profipack" kit so building it out of the box included a fret of photo etch. The only addition not from the box is the use of monofilament for the rigging.
This last image is a diorama that I built for this kit which utilizes the full compliment of the Eduard WW I German figure set. Stephen, I am aware that the base and figures are not to be considered when judging this entry.
It has been a privilege to share this and to be considered with the previous entries.
Dwayne
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
Nice one Dwayne. Always good to see one of these strange but typical german machines finished. Like the figures very much!

Cheers, nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
I am in with Roden's 1/32 Fokker Dr.I.

This is airframe number 477/17, one of Manfred von Richthoffen's mounts.

The interior was mostly scratchbuilt using Evergreen Products, wood veneer, fine wires, and some PE sourced from the parts box. The wires run as they did on the actual triplane. In this picture, they have not been pulled taught and attached to the control surfaces yet.

It was painted with mostly acrylics and took about 8 weeks to build. Decals were a mixture of AM and Kit decals from the leftover box.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC
There we go! Less than 24 hrs 12 minutes to go. Tick tick tick. . .
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Stephen, For your consideration;
I present my build of the Eduard Albatros W4 in 1/48 scale.

This build is Out of the Box aside from a scratch built control column and rigged using Monofilament (Invisible Sewing thread), twisted wire loops and fine Styrene tubes.

Cheers,

Hugh
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
Ok Stephen, you convinced me. Although I think I need a better camera.

Eduard Albatros DV Kit # 8013 scale 1:48

Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen's 4693/17 Albatros Jasta 11

Home made lozenge, lengthen (corrected) landing struts, opened maintenance port on cowl, upper ailerons and rear stabilizer surfaces altered.
I was always intrigued with this wonderful aircraft because it was always confused with the Albatros MvR was wounded in on July 6 1917.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 02:29 PM UTC
Just like any other contest the entrants put their displays down at the very last minte. Less than 4 hours 50 minutes to go.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 07:24 PM UTC
Thats it folks. Next the judging.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
Greetings one and all! The Results are in on the 2nd Annual Aeroscale Early Bird Contest!

The winners are . . .

1st place Claudio Kalicinski for his beautiful and extensively reworked Lindberg 1/48 Curtiss JN 4D.
His prize it the unbuilt Hi-Tech 1/48 Voisin type 10 LAR nightbomber. with the Renault engine. This is a true multimedia kit. plastic, resin, white metal and photoetch.

This beautiful kit was done by the master modeler Chris Savagilio and shows what can be done with patience.

2nd place Brad Cancian for his 1/32 Albatros D.III as flown by Ltn. Werner Voss.
His prize is a 1/48 scale Gavia Fokker D.II kit #003/1199.

3rd place goes to Andrew Beard for his excellent Roden 1/72 Gotha G.IV
His prize is the unbuilt Alliance WFK D.I Series 85 kit # 48002.

As seen reviewed by Aeroscale's Master of presitidigitaion Rowan Baylies.
Click Here and built up in an Aeroscale Feature.

Done by Peter Plattner and seen reviewed by clicking here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
As I look at the whos online portion of our page I see our winners are online. First let me say congrats to some well deserved awards. These are indeed well built kits. In three cases I had to struggle with minute differences to come to this choice. I wish I had kit for everyone that participated. I will be available to anyone wishing a view on their build through the personal message system here. I will only discuss the kit you did and try to explain my reasons for the call.

In truth it was close in four cases only minor concerns made a difference in placement for third. My sincere thanks to all of the participants. The kits for this contest were donated by a fellow Aeroscale member who wishes to remain anonymous. This brings a close to the activities of the 2nd Aeroscale Early Bird Contest.
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC
I am really flattered by the results of the contest, even more considering the quality of the models presented by the other participants. It seems that the southern hemisphere (one Argentine and two Australians) performance was really good this time.

Stephen: thanks a lot for the time you spent here at Aeroscale promoting WWI modeling and a big thanks to the "anonymous" member for providing the prizes.

PS: Stephen one more thing, if you are tired of the cold and the snow you should make a short trip over here, yesterday the temperature rose to 39º C (102º F) almost unbearable...

Greetings from Mendoza, land of the sun and the good wine

Claudio
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS: Stephen one more thing, if you are tired of the cold and the snow you should make a short trip over here, yesterday the temperature rose to 39º C (102º F) almost unbearable...

Or he could even visit Australia, we got past 42 degrees celsius this week. Not good for going to work.

I also noticed the amount of people from the southern countries that build early aviation subjects, strange.

I'm very happy and a bit surprised to get 3rd. It was a lot of fun to build for this competion.Thanks for the competion Stephen, and all the entrants for the outstanding models. And the anonymous prize giver too of course.

Andrew

BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
I too must say I am chuffed to have been a place getter amongst some very fine competition - my hearty congratulations to both Claudio and Andrew on their wins and their very fine builds, and to all those that entered.

Also, I echo Andrew's comments and offer my thanks to Stephen and the anonymous donator for generously volunteering to make the competition possible!

BC
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
Congrats to Claudio Kalicinski, Brad Cancian, and Andrew Beard. Fine work for us all to aspire to. Well done gentlemen!

Jeff
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC
Congrats to the winners for some truly remarkable builds. I know it must have been hard for Stephen to pick a winner from all the fantastic entries. Thanks also to the donater for contributing a very nice prize.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC
Congratulations to the winners, you all deserved it for some very well done pieces. Thanks go to Stephen for conducting this contest and for what can sometimes be the thankless job of having to disappoint some of us. I think all of us got something out of this, if not a medal or a prize, we got to participate with fellow modelers and shared our work and ideas with one another. I enjoyed building the kit I entered and it was great fun sharing and learning with you all. Thanks for your input and on to the next contest.
Keep modeling, Dwayne
 _GOTOTOP