_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-47 Halesworth Museum Presentation Piece.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:14 AM UTC
This is going to be a build thread with a difference.
Im building the Tamiya 1:48 P-47 Razorback as a presentation piece to the Halesworth Airfield Memorial Museum.
The final scheme hasnt been decided on yet, although obviously its going to be a "Wolfpack" Thunderbolt based at Halesworth. I have access to the extensive reference library at the museum so when the final scheme is chosen it should be possible to obtain a very realistic finish, unique to the individual aircraft. The intention is to build this over the winter months ( it will be a slow build anyway due to my work commitments) and present it to the museum in time for next years opening season.(April-October)
I intend to mount the finished model on a polished wood base with a photograph of the actual aircraft and pilot, and an Aeroscale/Bulldogs logo.

While waiting to decide on the final markings Ive made a small start on the cockpit area. Its the first away from 1:72 for me as well, should be interesting,,(isnt 1:48 big?,,lol)

Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
This should be fun to follow. And to think I want to build a 1/32 fighter (either a P-47 or P-51) so I can do something big for a change. I'm jealous that you have access to such a great source of reference for your build.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This should be fun to follow. And to think I want to build a 1/32 fighter (either a P-47 or P-51) so I can do something big for a change. I'm jealous that you have access to such a great source of reference for your build.

Thanks Matt. Im very lucky in that I live close to the sites of so many WW2 airfields, although Halesworth is almost a 4 hour drive.(makes for a long return trip).
This is part of the perimeter track at Halesworth. Walking in the footprints( tyre tracks) of Zemke,Schilling, Klippe and Gabreski. You can almost hear the roar of the Thunderbolts.

Nige
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
I am sure you will find a nice scheme to keep all of us happy. Good luck with that 1/48.
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:03 PM UTC
I'm lucky in that I still do hear the roar of Thunderbolts. Sort of. Based near my house are seven CL-215 water bombers, designed for battling forest fires. They are each powered by two P&W R-2800's. Spring time is the best as it's when they are the most active near where I live.
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 03:27 PM UTC
Sweet Nige! I am so excited to watch this build and imagine that you will really enjoy the 1/48 kit. Wanna bet who will finish their's first?
Allen
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(isnt 1:48 big?,,lol)

No Nige 1/72 is bl**dy small

Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
Time for a progress photo.
The cockpit is all but finished. Im waiting for some PE seatbelts to arrive so I can get it closed up. The control stick and gunsight I always leave to the end of the build so I dont damage them when masking the cockpit area.
While Im waiting I'll add some wires to the rear of the instrument panel, just for fun.

Ive made a start on the engine,which Im going to wire up as well.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
Delivery from Hannants this afternoon so I have been able to really get stuck into this build.
Engines finished.

Cockpit finished and fusalage together.

Although the finally scheme hasnt been decided its now been narrowed down to a P-47-C.
Loon Models make a "no cut" cowling designed for the Tamiya kit and that arrived today as well.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
This weekend has mainly been everyones favourite,,seam sanding
The fusalage seams are almost done, and I got bored so dry fitted the wings and cowling.
The resin "C" cowling is an excellent fit.

The final subject will more than likely be a P-47C-5, many of which were fitted with a "whip" ariel instead of a radio mast. More research is required when the final subject is decided upon.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
One things for certain, with the final subject depicting a P-47 before the end of August 1943, when shackles and drop tanks were fitted to 56FG T'bolts for the first time, Ive been able to finish the underside and get that area ready for priming.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:50 AM UTC
Airframe primed today.

A close up of the underneath where I filled the holes where the drop tank shackles and kits drop tank would have been attached.

Next job on the main airframe is preshading. Meanwhile Im slowly working on the various bits and pieces.
Im away working from next Monday but I hope to have the underside painted and faded before I go.
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC
Nige, you're making a wonderful model for the museum, nice one mate. Looking forward to seeing more

Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Mal:)
I hope it'll turn out ok.
Preshadings done. I always do it and invariably it gets covered over, but i'll get it right one day

Nige
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
Nige

Nice variation in depth of colour and thickness of line. Looks like one of mine.

Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige

Nice variation in depth of colour and thickness of line. Looks like one of mine.

Andy

Its preshading Andy, not an exercise in precise airbrushing techniques.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
Underside sprayed with Tamiya Neutral Grey and then "faded" in three stages using heavily thinned mixtures of neutral grey and white. Klear/Future coats and the oil wash will darken and further blend everything together.
Neutral Grey base coat.

After fading.

Nige
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Preshadings done. I always do it and invariably it gets covered over, but i'll get it right one day
Nige

Looks like that day is here Nige.

Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like that day is here Nige.

I agree! Looks very good!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys
Its slowly coming together.
As much as Im enjoying my first 1:48th build, its the research that for me has been an amazing part of this so far. Myself and the museum are being assisted for former 56FG members, both pilots and groundcrew, in order to make this build extremely accurate. Ive been able to walk the airfield they flew from, and Im planning future visits early next year to investigate the area more thoroughly.
The staff at Halesworth have been incredibly helpfull and are fast becoming firm friends.
Nige
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC
Absolutely great stuff Nige! I really like it. A couple questions:
1) (Hope I didn't miss it in the post) Is the instrument panel decal or PE? Looks great!
2) What do you use for primer? Looks like a nice smooth coat.

Really looking forward to more.
Allen
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC
The technique you use for painting is almost identical to mine. I love how the under side turned out. A very nice finish with a lot going on for just a single color. Pre and post shading is my favorite part of any build. Can't wait to see her wearing OD.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
Thanks guys
Just a couple of details to lock down in the research and I can get the OD on her.
Im away on tour at the moment so it will be a while before I get back to the bench.
Allen.
The instrument panel is painted and the kit decal over the top, then some more painting. The primer I use is Halfords plastic primer from a rattle can. Halfords are a motoring wholesaler in the UK.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
No actual progress to report as Im on tour still, but the final subject has now been decided upon.
I'll be building the P-47C of Harold " Bunny" Comstock, who scored his first kill on August 17th 1943. This was before the P-47s were fitted with centre line drop tank shackles and this area on the kit has been filled. Also, at this time the USAAF was still experiencing difficulties with the T'bolts radios, and 16326 was fitted with a small whip ariel as opposed to the standard radio mast, so this area will need attention before I can paint the topside olive drab.
Bunny is happily still with us and very much a friend of the Halesworth museum, which was one of the main criteria when deciding which particular 56FG T'bolt to depict.
Heres a couple of photos of the man and his machine.

Hopefully I can get some more done on this at the weekend.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi all.
A small progress report.
Not much building has been achieved as I have been away working from Nov4th and Im still on tour.
I have,however,,in the hour or so Ive managed to grab at the bench, managed to finish the undercarriage,,LOL
The main airframe is awaiting its turn for olive drab in the spaybooth but Eduard have discontinued the Express Canopy Masks for the Tamiya Razorback!!
I may have found a set but Im not too hopefull, and it looks like I may have to resort to the old fashioned method of masking,even though I ordered a set way back in October.
If anyone has a spare set and would be willing to donate them to this project please PM me.
"Bunny" Comstock has been informed that his "Razorback " will be returning to Halesworth next year.
Hopefully I will have a few days free in January so I can make some more progress.
Nige
 _GOTOTOP