_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Photo-Recce campaign proposal
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi guys!

I would like to propose a campaign for the fall of 2008! I've always been facinated by the photo-reconnaissance units, often flying deep into enemy territory with no other weapon than a camera. Some of the most beautiful aircraft have been used extensively for PR-missions, such as the Spitfire, the Mosquito and the P-38 Lightning.

The PR Spitfire! Came in blue for boys and pink for girls!

In modern times, PR aircraft often come with long and fascinating noses, pods and other extensions, making them truly stand out from the crowd!!

A Mirage IIIRD and an RF-5E TigerEye - You might need some aftermarket stuff here!

A photo-reconnaissance campaign would not be limited to a certain kind of aircraft, country, theater or time period. In fact, it would enable the participants to build subjects ranging from at least 1915 until today!

Early reconnaissance aircraft - the Albatros B.II

WWII - Some beautiful mosquitos!

The next generation – PODs and UAVs will be allowed in the campaign, as long as there is a camera!

A great place for inspiration is the Spyflight website, featuring loads of beautiful cold war examples such as the Canberra PR.9 and the SR-71 Blackbird;

All scales will be welcome. I plan to be rather lenient of the rules, but one rule is essential! Camera must show ! (either outside or through the camera window) This will probably call for just a little bit of scratch building! Here's some examples through the ages!

I would love to know you would find the proposed campaign interesting! Also, I need suggestions for a catchy name for the campaign (currently, I'm thinking of naming it "The paparazzi club") and - as always - a nice ribbon (perhaps based on a role of film, see below?)!

Cheers!
//PolarBear!

PS. What's with the long face, my friend!? Come join the campign!

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
Who would I be to say no to such a great idea? I am on (of course...).

That's one of the advantages of a 200+ stash, it is always possible to find something suitable!

Regarding long faces: I've got something that is a lot worse! It comes from South Africa but has French ancestry...

Regards

Magnus
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:30 AM UTC
Sounds good.
But are you thinking of a campaign just for dedicated photo-recce aircraft, or more of recce planes in general?
For example, is a westland lysander ok?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:45 AM UTC
Go go, blackbird!!

I am in!
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
MagnusF: I'm glad to have you on board! I thought you'ld opt for the Spitfire PR Mk XIX (I'll send you your kits soon, I promise!), but now you're speaking in riddles! I don't know what you're referring to, bu I've seen some pretty strange Mirages...?

Emeritus: Camera must show! Let's save the other reconnaissance, naval surveillance, secret ops, AEWs etc for future campaigns! I might allow handheld cameras like with the guys below, provided that it is an aircraft that is generally operated in reconnaissance missions, such as the Storch, the Wyslander, the Catalina etc (if you don't want to build a crew, at least put a camera on the seat!). - There are such a wide range of "pure" photo-reconnaissance aircraft out there, though! I hope that you'll find something suitable!!!

SGTJKJ: I was hoping that you would say that! Cooool!

Wow! Looks like I've attracted quite the Nordic crowd so far. Did all the represented countries have photo-reconnaissance versions of the SAAB 35 Draken? I know that Sweden and Denmark did, but I'm not sure about Finland. Hmmm, it sure would be nice to have one of those Drakens in the campaign...

Now, let's here it from the rest of the planet!

Cheers!

// PolarBear

Ps. Here is another great site with lots of info regarding cameras, aircraft and PR missions (mostly US oriented)
Some examples from them early days:

JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC
I just want to commend you on the "montage" of information and pictures! Really great presentation..alas, I dont have the time nor kit to sign up for this one, but wanted to tell you what a great job you did on the posting of info, i will bookmark for future reference, cheers!
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hi all!

RA-5C Vigilante or SR-71 Blackbird????

Of course I´m in on this too, Can never resist an interesting theme.

Gives me an opportunity to go trough my stash, there´s always something for every campaign!

Give the Eye in the Skye a good smile now, you hear!

Cheers!

Stefan E
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:07 PM UTC
JMartine: Thanks for the kind words! I believe that it has become a tradtion for the campaign leaders here at Aeroscale to try and add a little extra touch to their campaigns, much thanks to Jean-Luc. In my mind, campaigns should be fun and educational, both regarding building techniques and the campaign subject.

This campaign will not be off the ground for another six months at least, due to the unfortunate waiting period between a proposal and a campaign start (I want to start NOW!!!). If we get the go ahead, it will not end until the beginning of 2009! Perhaps you have the time by then!? You would be most welcome to join the campaign!

Phantom 2: I find the RA-5C Vigilante a most excellent choice. Interesting photo-recce history, and such a beautiful aircraft!

Cheers!
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC
Um, if it takes that long to start (2009), I will have time to clear up my bench and add yet another Mustang, the F-6B TAC Recce Mustang... will that qualify? Thanks~ ! Jim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
PolarBear: Yes, it is one of those "Pretty Strange Mirages". High Planes did a whole bunch of these. And I am in no hurry regarding that Spit, I've got several other models to build before i really need that one...

Regards

Magnus
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
JMartine: An F-6B Mustang would definitely qualify! Btw: Do you know if the Americans had any Mustangs in PRU blue?

Cheers!
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi guys!

I've been working on a possible banner for the campaign. How do you like it?

I know that it is tiny, so get your glasses! Bonus points and a bottle of PRU Blue to those who can place at least three of the pictures that I picked to illustrate the history of aerial photo-reconnaissance. They are rather famous... Anyone?

Cheers!

Polarbear
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:31 PM UTC
Very difficult to see, but I would like to try:

From the right it is:

1. SAM site before and after destruction, could be from Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq

2. This is without a doubt from Cuba showing the missiles etc. from the Cuba crisis.

3. The bridge that was one of the "choke points" of the Ho Chi Mihn trail. This is a wild guess. Alternatively it could be one of the bridges destroyed in Iraq. It seems to be a bridge anyway.

4. I have no idea

5. It is a difficult one, but I would guess it is a smiley with a camera. Maybe a close up from 15.000 meters altitude of the enemys computer screen
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi all,
I am in.
I can make Turkish Air Force Rf-4E.
Like this.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:26 PM UTC
I just browsed some net stores for recon aircraft kits. I found this one which is a must for this campaign for me. The tiger stripes makes for a very unique aircraft.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:34 PM UTC
Jesper: You have the eyes of a hawk! Well done with the Cuban missile crisis! The USAF used both U-2 reconnaissance aircraft and RF-101C Voodoo The low-level pictures were taken with the KA-18A Stereo Strip camera, and with the new techniques, President Kennedy could examine the pictures within 24 hours! The Century Series seems to be in fashion with the modelling community right now (there is an ongoing groupbuild at HyperScale). For those of you who wish to build a Voodoo, I know that Hasegawa has a kit in 1/72 and that there are some conversion sets on the market. Then - of course - there is something for those who like to keep it small!

Oh, and here is a picture of the KA-18A camera (Camera must show!)

Regarding the photo quiz - Two more pictures and the bottle of PRU blue is yours! For the picture on the far left - think WWI, for the second one - think WWII (it is a bridge, alright - a very important bridge), and for the one on the far right - think only a couple of weeks ago! Sorry, but the smiley does not count!

Jesper and Atoplu: The RF-4E will be most welcome! Both schemes are great! The German Tiger will be awsome!

Wow, it sure looks like there is going to be a lot of Phantoms built this year! I was actually thinking of perhaps building an Israeli F-4E(S) Peace Jack for this campaign, but I've changed my mind (see below!).

Magnus: Are you planning to go Cheetah on us!?!

If so, I just might have to go Tznuit on you (longest nose wins!?). In fact, I'm ordering the AML kit tomorrow!

Cheers! // PolarBear
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:19 AM UTC
Okay, I will have a second shoot at the last three pictures:

Far right is the Syrian nuclear reactor destroyed by Israeli aircraft. Before and after photo. Not that difficult when you have a tight timeframe.

No. 3 from right is probably the Arnhem bridge. Alternatively Remagen bridge.

The far left WWI picture is difficult. I have difficulty seeing the details and half the picture is hidden by the text. However, I would guess that it is Verdun.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
PolarBear: Your'e right, the Cheetah was what I had in mind!

I got second thoughts about it now: I am not sure that there are any cameras in that nose. I'll have to check it first.

Tzniut: I have a few photos of those strange Israeli PR-Mirage conversions, I suppose your thinking about the long one that swivels?

I am sure that there is something suitable in the stash even if the Cheetah shouldn't qualify!

Regards

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC
I quote myself tonight regarding Cheetahs:

Quoted Text

I got second thoughts about it now: I am not sure that there are any cameras in that nose. I'll have to check it first.

Nope, there are obviously other things that you can carry around in such a long nose besides cameras since the Cheetah doesn´t have any so no Cheetah for this campaign! Too bad since it is a cool aircraft and I have at least one that needs some motivation to get built (it is a High Planes kit...).

Well well, lets see what I can find instead...

Magnus
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:18 AM UTC
Björn this sounds like a great campaign, I’m in.

Quoted Text

Regarding long faces: I've got something that is a lot worse! It comes from South Africa but has French ancestry...

Magnus unfortunately the Cheetah R was cancelled after only one was built (now a testbed), but the Cheetah C uses the Vinten Vicon 18 series 600 Reconnaissance pod on the Centreline rack.
IIRC ironically 2 Squadron SAAF - "Flying Cheetahs", amongst it’s other duties, are utilised in the PRU role.

Also for strange livery have a look at the Recce Meet.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
All of you interested, don't forget to go here Photo Recon Campaign Page and "Enlist" in the Campaign
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC
Jesper: Well done!!! Here are larger versions of the pictures;

Trenches and no-man's land at Loos-en-Gohelle (northern France - close to Verdun) on July 22, 1917

Arnhem bridge. The picture was taken seven days before the allied attack.

Cuban missile crisis

Syrian reactor "before" and "after" shots

The bottle of PRU blue (Xtracrylics) is all yours! It works particularilly well on Mosquitos and Lightnings! Just send me your address and I'll mail it to you. Congratulations!

Magnus: Too bad about the Cheetah! I'm sure you'll find something else in your stash! And yes - I would be very interested in the Tznuit pictures (Mirage and/or Kfir) - the ones with the looooooooooooong noses.

Savage: Thanks for the info on the Cheetah versions, and for the great link! Some really nice markings. I especially like the Swiss Mirage IIIRS - very stylish! (Syhart decals are suppposed to release decal sets in both 1/48 and 1/72 with these markings) And seeing a Viggen always make my fingers itch...! Welcome to the campign, btw! Any idea what to build?
Chuck: Thanks for the link to the Campaign enrollment page! Now go sign up, everybody!

Cheers! // PolarBear
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper: Well done!!! Here are larger versions of the pictures;[i]

Chuck: Thanks for the link to the Campaign enrollment page! Now go sign up, everybody!

Cheers! // PolarBear

Thanks - it gets easier when one knows what war to look for

I have signed up and is looking forward to the campaign.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 08:39 AM UTC
I signed up. There are a couple recce planes I can think of that I want to do.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 08:20 PM UTC
Vanize wrote:
Quoted Text

I signed up. There are a couple recce planes I can think of that I want to do.

Great to have you on board, Vance! If you can't come up with anything else, you can always put your hand in plaster and paint it PRU Blue!

The famous cast that entitled Vanize complimentary ribbons in both the "Show your teeth" and "Suez 50 years" campaigns.

Don't forget to stick a camera in there! - Just kidding! Be careful of your limbs and build us a nice aircraft instead! Any idea of what you might build?

Cheers! // PolarBear
 _GOTOTOP