World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard's Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi all

Rowan I hope you do not mind when I use your thread for my progress too? It's rather like our I-16 parallel build than high jacking, isn't it?

I added a few bit's 'n' pieces .. still a bunch more to do but I could finally close the pit. Masking it was easy, but I had a few problems to get the masks loose. I think they are a bit thinner than previous Eduard masks and my example was not properly precut .. never had that much problems with their masks. Still faster than many other ways.

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Rowan I hope you do not mind when I use your thread for my progress too? It's rather like our I-16 parallel build than high jacking, isn't it?... Cheers

Steffen

Hi Steffen

Ahh, those were the days! No problem at all - it's good to see a Hellcat heading for completion.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi again

Thanks Rowan for sharing the threat err "d" .. today was perfect modelling weather here in Ettlingen. Lots of rain but still some light.

First I sprayed the canopy interior green (right after posting this morning) after that was dry the whole thing got a skull white primer (the Citadel stuff is really cool; self leveling - semi gloss - giving some bite to the acrylics) ... and it dries very fast. So I could try my JPS Colors .. first all went into the ultrasonic bath for 480 seconds then some shaking and it was ready to use. I started with intermediate blue (ANA 608), then sea blue (ANA 623) followed by touch ups in Insignia white (ANA 601), 608 and 623 .. I think it looks quite good now (the colors do not contain a scale effect and I added none).

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
Well .. a bit of progress

When I "klear"-ed the Wildcat I also sprayed the Hellcat and thus it was ready for decals. I put on the larger yesterday. And today I started the small markings ... well I probably found the reason for the problems with the Wildcat.

I work with several of my Daco bottles open, for easy access ... accidently I put on Daco red under the decal .. this stays a bit longer on the model than when I use it on the decals. The effect was pretty harsh .. it lightened the colour very much and I even had some white "fall out" .. this is no problem as such as the effect disappears when it dries (the rest would with another Klear coat.. but under the decal it dries slower and thus I assume that I shot flat too early on the Wildcat ...

back to the Hellcat .. to avoid this from the start I used Klear for applying the decals .. it worked pretty well.

It is not yet done .. the right side still needs the maint. markings.

best wishes

Steffen
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC
i bought this kit on the internet about a week ago and am waiting for it to arive impatiently. I want to build it! All well, Tamiya's Corsair will have to do for now.

BTW, would Tamiya Acrylic Medium blue, white, and XF-17 work for the camo?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi Jon

it is a nice kit .. pretty easy for an Eduard model ... OTOH it is a bit "under-detailed" in places.

I cannot comment on the colors. I bought some JPS ANA colours.

BTW Eduard just issued some information on the Royal Class ... Not interesting for me .. but others may like it

R0006 F6F Hellcat ROYAL CLASS 1/48

All the best

Steffen
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Eduard royal class kits look like a lot of bang for a lot of buck. To be honest, i was just planning on building a couple aircraft just for a break in between armor kits!

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi all

i gave the kit another gloss coat and now it is dry I used oils for a wash ... maybe it is a touch too bright, but I can only judge that if it is dry and the excess wiped away.

cheers

Steffen

P.S. The effect is very interesting .. the very same colour looks very bright on the upper side and very dark on the lower side .. I think I will leave it .. the flat coat will tone it down pretty much .. but first it has to dry for a day or two...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hello Steffen

well, it is pretty lame this evening/weekend so I thought to bump this thread .... and enjoy myself ..

artificial light is not the best solution but I think the difference in appearance is glaring (the same color for the wash on top and bottom)

cheers

Steffen
aka Barf who is his own best friend
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

The wash looks good. I suppose you haven't sprayed the dull coat yet.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

no, I want to let it dry throughly before I hit it with flat ... the Wildcat comes to mind .. Also I have removed some more of the grey wash from the right upper wing. I think I should leave it for a week or so before I proceed ... OTOH there is enough small parts to do.

greetings

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi all

No I have not forgotten this project .. and I am progressing .. slowly, but steady. Soo many bits and pieces to do. I cabled the engine --- no picture, if you want to know how it should look go back to Rowans picture --- added the u/c doors (shortend a bit, because of the shortened legs) and as I had the exhaus stain colours out for the Wildcat I just added them on this kit too.

I also sanded the trailing edges of the prop blades as they are about a mm thick (I am exaggerating a bit still I also had to sand down some material) and painted the whole thing: blades black, center chainmail, hub intermediate blue, prop tips first white then yellow

Still some antennas to add, then flat and finally some clear parts. Maybe I get it done until the weekend.

BTW Jean-Luc are you going to the show of PMC Saar .. maybe I will have a look then

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW Jean-Luc are you going to the show of PMC Saar .. maybe I will have a look then

Hi Steffen,

Yes, I will be at the show with Mark58 and other Friends. It's a small but nevertheless very interesting show. It would be fantastic to meet you there!

Your Hellcat is looking great. You've said that you weren't interested in the Royal Class box. I can't wait to put my hands on it!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I will be at the show with Mark58 and other Friends. It's a small but nevertheless very interesting show. It would be fantastic to meet you there!

Great .. maybe I can get a base or two. then i will see your Bugatti in person .. that will be cool honestly, I am really looking forward to see your models in "echt"

Quoted Text

Your Hellcat is looking great. You've said that you weren't interested in the Royal Class box. I can't wait to put my hands on it!

Jean-Luc

thank you .. we'll see how it turns out in the end.

As for the RC: Somehow it does not appeal to me .. o.k. you get many etched goodies plus some resin but I have 3 Eduard Hellcats plus a Hasegawa with the big Aires set and a Obscureco cowl .... I do not think I will need more Hellcats: Vraciu is almost done, two Brits one Europe the other Far East from the Dual combo and Minsi III for the Hasegawa kit.

I am in no way negative about that boxing .. it just is not interesting for me. Ask me again when moduni has it for about 60-70 Euro

But I stick to US Navy a/c ... I just ordered some stuff for my F4U-5N .. since I saw "Pazifikgeschwader 214" aka "Black sheep Squadron" in the 80th the Corsair is my favorite American WW2 aircraft ... I have "some" in the stash, but non built yet .. time to give it a go

cheers

Steffen
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 03:50 AM UTC
Glad to see some progress here, Stefan- your Pazifikgeschwader is steadily growing. Cheers!

chuk
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Many thanks!!

and

That's Barf, Sir!

(I know I write Chuck while you sign Chuk .. but your profile name is Chuck and so I stick with that)
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:04 PM UTC
Nice work on the kit, both of you.

I started dabbling with mine as well some time ago and noticed some sources mentioning a separate armored glass fitted behind the windscreen (in some of the earlier production versions, IIRC).
It can be clearly seen in photos found here.
Here's a pic of the windscreen area.
I have the impression that this feature was later dropped in favor of an armored glass integrated to the windscreen itsefl, am I correct?

It seems that the part could be made from the second left-over windscreen with some careful cutting and sanding, but when was this feature dropped?
I did some quick googling and several sources seem to agree that it was introduced in F6F-5. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi Eetu

first: many thanks!

It seems you are right on the armoured glass ..though I doubt you will fit a convincing part to the model as the kit windshield would be armoured glass in 1:1 .... you just lack the space IMO

Here is a pic of Vracius machine with 19 kills on and it still has the panzerglass panel (wikipedia)

I am not sure if it was changed on the F6F-5

more input welcome ...

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hmm, I'll have to look into it some more.

Indeed, if someone has some more info on the subject, please share it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC

Life is just not fair .....

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
First of all, sorry to hear (and see) that.

But what is that actually?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

well, I do not know. First i thought it was glue or colour creeping under the windshield .. but I used Gators glue an it is no colour .. some kind of "fog" (I did not use CA) .. I could remove it with a tooth pick of course I had to remove the canopy (the moving part slightly cracked in 2 places ... have to live with it) and now I have to do some touch ups but at least I could save it.

strange things happen .. it was a very smooth build until I saw this .. I never get away with a model, always a glitch or accident

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC
So it was one the outside. Well, at least you got it removed.

You wouldn't be needing a new sliding portion? I think I'll be building mine with an open cockpit so the other part will be a left-over.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

It was on the inside! That's why I needed to remove the canopy.

Well, I am thinking if I try to get a replacement .. or build one of the British Hellcats open .. for the moment I will leave it as it is. .. then I check the photos if I can stand it or have to change it

cheers

Steffen
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
I'de leave it. It is a great possibilty that you could destroy the entire model trying to fix this small mistake. I'de rather have a little cockpit fog than a 25 piece window.

Quite frankly-its just a model. ignore it and finish the model, put it on the shelf so you are looking at the other side, and dont mention it to other people. Maybe buy the same kit in a few years and build it in different markings and see if you get the same problem. Thats just what i would do.