lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Mal.
Looking very good
I had the pleasure of seeing this again on Sunday and I have to say that the photos dont do the markings justice.
The walkway lines are extemely sharp and the the serial numbers are stunning. The smile on Mals face when he took the serial number masks off said it all.
Hope you found your favourite tweezers!
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
Yep Nige, found the tweezers in the car.
I small update, I almost forgot to add the "Defence of the Reich" bands and had started the decalling. This type of painted on marking is best done using thin strips of masking tape, Tamiy's being the best, in my opinion. I masked the outer extremities then painted white in the center, when this was dry I masked the white. I used a pair of dividers to get the distences equal. RLM 04 gelb was then sprayed on, this adds a nice bit of colour.

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
Mal,

Looks great! I just re-read the posts and saw the part about RLM84. Testors makes 84 in their Acryl line. Very nice color too, a little more "cream" color than Sky. So nice in fact my wife let me match it at a paint store and painted out bathroom RLM 84! Lovely woman.

Also, are you making your masks in 1/24? I have a Airfix Hurri that I want to do in RCAF.

And one more thing, what is your opinion on the WEM paint? I have read many reviews and they were all good for the stuff, so I ordered a bunch from Great Models, the should be here in a week or two.

-Derek
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 06:46 AM UTC
Looking good Mal. The wing walk markings are superb.
Derek the WEM paints are fantastic. I was using acrylics until I tried the WEM enamel range, and am now pretty much converted. The pigments are really fine, sprays beautifully, brushes well and being able to buy whole sets (Luftwaffe, Soviet, Japanese etc ) at once is a lot easier then having to buy different brands for different colours.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks Derek,
I'm not sure that SWMBO would let me paint the bathroom any RLM shades
Yep I can make masks in almost any scale
WEM paints are superb, I've used them since I reviewed them on here

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the confirmation on the WEM paints. I went a head and ordered three paint sets. The U.S., Japanese and Russian. Quite a chunk of money, but it will be so nice not to have to mix to get the colors right. I will probably get the rest of the sets later. I am really surprised other manufactures have not done what WEM has done. Testors sort of did but not to the same extent.

As for the bathroom RLM 84, actually we have a few wall painted WWII colors. The kitchen is RLM 75 Grauviolett, dinning room is RLM 76 Lichtblau and the stairway walls are Duck Egg Green. Really they look very good and we have had a lot of non model airplane types comment positively on the paints, especially Duck Egg Green. I should post pics on another thread

Mal, I will PM you when I get ready to tackle the Hurri, it may be a while though as I have a few others in the "to Build" stack.

Anyway, again great looking 190 and I like the preshading

-Derek
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC
Mal:

Looking great. I think the wing walk marking turned out great. It seems when you use decals these are the ones that want to silver. The painted on ones seem to be the way to go.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:15 PM UTC
Derek,
Is the outside of your house camouflaged
Let me know as soon as possible what markings you are going to require, then I can start the research

Taylor,
Yes that's why this type of late Luftwaffe scheme is ideal to try masks on. nearly all of the national markings have a great swathe of carrier film which, with Revell decals, is almost impossible to hide. Another great reason for using masks

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:24 PM UTC
Mal,

No the house is not camo'd outside, but it does blend in with the other houses Also, it is hard to see from the air due to a jungles worth of Western Washington moss on the roof, but soon it will be taught a valuable lesson.

Back to the Hurri, I think RCAF 401 Squadron will be the model for it. What squadron my grandfather flew for has been lost in family history. But he was an American, flying for the Canadians, on behalf of the British. I love historical twists such as that!

-Derek
Erlawerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi Mal,
looks good your "Langnase"!
Hope to see more soon...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
It's been a while but finally I managed to get the decals on and give it a wash. I hope in the future to be able to provide stencil markings as rub down transfers to give that painted on look to everything. Until then I will have to use decals for the stencils. The wash consists of turpintine and artist oil colours, a mix of Davey Grey and madder brown on the fuselage and Davey Grey, Black, White and Burnt Umber for the wings.

I hope to have the matt cote and final detail; painting done before the week end and the thing finished by the end of the week end. Probably wishful thinking but I've started several projects recently and I will be starting yet another. It's them masks

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Mal!

Fantastic job on the camouflage and the markings!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
Looks stunning Mal.
I cant wait to see her up close and finished!
Nige
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
That´s really a wonderfull job, we wait for more photos
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I hope to at least get the matt coat on this week endbut I have a lot of masks to cut
I'm a bit undicided about how to do the paint chipping. There won't be much but it needs a little around the fasteners and wing leading edge. I normally use a silver pencil, after the matt coat, but that's in 1/48 scale. This is my first 1/32 scale model and I think it might not look right if I use my old method. I did have a tentative go with mat aluminium paint with a splash of Davey Grey oil paint in it but I never seem to have the same control over painting on the chips as against the silver pencil. Any ideas?

More pics soon
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
I think it looks fantastic. I think you have a contest winner in progress (CWIP)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thanks Carl but this won't be entered in any contest

Removed by original poster on 06/05/08 - 12:15:17 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP