Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
When I Flew with. . .official thread
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
It is now April 17, and we have 6 enlistees. Is this campaign going to get off the ground?

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
We are lacking the 4 needed to take off. Campaigns need a minimum of 10 entrants. Though we had the support in early aviation it seems that at this time some have made other commitments. No worries.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:13 PM UTC
hello all,
i have all ready got the kit,books and paint.there has to be 4 people who wants to build in this campaign,so come on an enlist.i ahve been looking to build a ww1 aircraft for a long time.
cheers,
bruce
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
hello all,
is this build still on?
cheers,
Bruce
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
Can I enter with two builds? That would get us up to 7
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:15 PM UTC
Our good Man Chuck (CRS) has allowed it stay open til May 15. If the members want it will happen. It has to be 10 members to enter. the number of entries each of us does is only limited by our time.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
We are up to 7. I feel like starting, even if it is not an official campaign. After all, it is the fun of the build, not the ribbon that is important.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
I am in. so how many does that make?

Bob
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thats 8 so far gentle folk.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
Cool I'm going to start. Will a bolshevik count JackFlash?
Been to the Scottish model show and saw a demo of Aeroclub's Biplane jig. Man that looks like it would save a lot of time and models being thrown against the wall. Pricey at £40, anyone tried it out or anything similar (and cheaper)?
Got a strutter datafile there too so I'm all psyched to go
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
Come on, just one more to join the campaign and we are ready to go! I am condiering a Danish Fokker XXI from the attack on Denmark 9th April. Could be fun
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hey! I suddenly realized that I got an object for this campaign, given that it's an end date reasonably far away. I can't really have more than one going.

What about a Reggiane Falco, based in the south of Sweden 1943-1945. We had 60-ish Re 2000 guarding our southern borders between 1941 and 1945. I don't think they actually was credited with any victories, but one was lost in combat trying to keep a Dornier out of swedish airspace. Hows that for a record?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
If longknifes is (10) then we should be set. I have a Navair kit that I am interested in building and would like to do the P40F of the 33rd. Figther Group from Operation Torch.

Bob
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
Guys go here and enlist to make it "official"
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=261

Still shows 8 !!!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hoooo-ray,

I will get started as soon as I return from my cruise, fat and happy.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC
I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this campaign. It's going to be fun.

Made a start tonight. It's a flashback 1b1 strutter in 72nd scale. The roundel decals where all badly shattered. I've some red stars left over from a i153 so this campaign couldn't come at a better time.

I've just cleaned up the fuselage and drilled holes for the lower wing locating lugs. Cut the internal ribbing (a PE part) for the cockpit and put a coat of paint on the resin cockpit. It is a one piece cockpit with a nice wicker seat that is really delicately moulded. There is a lot in this kit for a fiver.

Also made a start on my story of how an Irishman like myself ended up teaching Bolsheviks bombing in a stolen French Strutter.
Here goes,

At the outbreak of hostilies John-Paul DeCourcey Anglo-Irish aristocrat signs up with the Corps d'Armee (and not to the disgust of his family the British Army)

Disillusioned with his luck with French skirt and insipred by the news of the declaration of the Irish Republic and the Easter Rising of 1916 DeCourcey fills the bomb bays with fuel cannisters and takes off to join Bolsheviks in Riga (Could he have dismantled it and ferried it up the Baltic)?

Wanted for treason in France, England, and Ireland, DeCourcey manages to deliver the strutter to Bolsheviks in Riga. (Where would the nearest bolsheviks be to france in 1917?)

DeCourcey's combat experience earn him a post as an instructor in the Revolutionary air force.

Modelled will be the Strutter DeCourcey stole in its new colours of the Bolshevik air force training corp instructor.

The idea for this was a photo I found on the internet of a strutter with inverted red stars on the top wings. I can't find it now but it will be basically all aluminum dope red stars on the top wing and a red tailplane. I think it'll look rather fetching. If that rings a bell with anyone please let me know as I'd like to find that image again.
Perhaps I'll put the white swan decal that came with the kit on as well. Might be a bit much. I'll leave that to last and stick it on with tape to see what it looks like.

Any suggestions to make the back story more accurate? I'll start a build log with some photos tomorrow. Time for bed now. First day back at work after a weeks holiday in the Perthshire hills takes it out of you.

Happy modeling
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
Oops. I just registered, but then I saw the rules.

Quoted Text

That is you can be a German, French, British, Italian, Belgian or American but you have to build the aircraft and identieis of each.

Question is - If I build a swedish fighter, that isn't included in the above list, but most certainly made passes on both axis and allied fighters and bombers (namingly Bf 109's, He 111's, Do 24's, B 17's and B 24's), will that be allowed? You can see the beast at http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Jakt/111J20.htm

Please, pretty please!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .Question is - If I build a swedish fighter, that isn't included in the above list, but most certainly made passes on both axis and allied fighters and bombers (namingly Bf 109's, He 111's, Do 24's, B 17's and B 24's), will that be allowed? You can see the beast at http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Jakt/111J20.htm Please, pretty please! "

Uhhhhh -ok.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Great.

Then I'll just have to find an italian dictionary for my bio. And of course get practice for my mottled-italian-camo-airbrush-finger. It's not the steadiest, sort of
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
Found it!
Here is roughly what my strutter will look like.

I think I'll have a bit more of a heroic story for my Ernest Hemingway type. After a successful war he heads off to fight for the workers and peasents as part of the international revolution, kind of apt with May Day coming up.

Is this campaign still on? I can't find it on the campaign page anymore.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
Captain A started out his Army career as an Armor Officer. After seeing combat from inside a Sherman tank, he decided there must be a better way to contribute to the war effort. As luck would have it, his father served in the 128th Field Artillery Battalion in The Great War with a young Captain Harry S. Truman, now a distinguished Senator from Missouri, and vice presidential candidate. After a few phone calls, Captain A found himself flying P-51 Mustangs.

Captain A was more skilled as an Armor Officer than as an Aviator, which explains why he is he has already made 5 unplanned combat parachute jumps over hostile territoy. But because he has considerable political influence, he has received numerous citations for his ingenuity in avoiding capture, rather than being brought up on charges for losing five aircraft (not including the 3 in flight school, and 2 tanks, which will not be addressed in this biography).

His current mount is named Joltin’ Josie VI, in honor of his wife, the former Joltin’ Josie. Josie is a saint who proves the addage “Love is Blind”. When Captain A is not crashing planes, tanks, and tanks into planes, he enjoyes playing golf. However, he will probably not continue playing golf after the war ends, since he is not a very good swimmer. Instead, he plans on running for State Senator in Indiana.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:41 AM UTC
Very cool;

With 9 enlistees we are looking for one more to start. Some are acting on faith and have a jump on the project. Reasonably legal as we are in the grace period looking for one more to join in. Did I mention we only need one more?
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC
Who forgot to enlist ? I know there must be 10 by now ?

Ready to Join this campaign?

Campaign Page

9 PARTICIPANTS

Bigrip74
CaptainA
grayghost666
JackFlash
jaypee
LongKnife
Rittersbach
SGTJKJ
spongya
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Not to worry boys, I'll shift over from ModelShipWrights for this great campaign. I've got some interesting ideas for my personal mount. I'm thinking possibly of flying one of my I-16's into battle... Maybe even hooked up under a mother ships wing.

Frank
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Great! Nice to see that we have gone "live" with the campaign. Still have not decided what to go for.... Vietnam war, Korea, WWI....