_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
What does it take to get you from the hobby?
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 09:03 PM UTC
Do you have other interest than the plastic one? For me that is the garden of mine, as I grow older and the kids don´t need that TLC that much I’ll tending to be more and more in my garden with the flowers. To see new life in the soil give me that nice feeling that the discotek did once in the eighties So this “Allegro” is the first in my garden this summer, and I wanted to just share..

Larsa
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
Oh yeah. It takes an awful lot of time during the summer months. Less as the winter darkness closes in.
This is Merlin. He's a four year old Thoroughbred that I picked up very cheaply as a yearling. He was pretty underdone, as he had been weaned very early, but we fed him up and he grew... eventually.
I started breaking him in just after he turned two... Being the breed that he is, he constantly challenges me. There is always something that we have to work on and improve.
I don't feel bad about the time he takes away from modelling. He's my baby afterall and I love him dearly.

We also have two Jack Russells, Louis (The larger one) and Matilda (who is still just a puppy).

Not forgetting of course the love of my life, Simone. Seen here with the Clydesdale Filly that we just bought for her (Sienna (The horse) is only two and is already 16.3 hands high).

This is fun!

Cheers,

Hugh
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi
Animals tend to get to you´r heart,The horses, what can I say, graceful and come in all sizes. Lovely, and the Russells, so sweet
Thanks for sharing

Larsa
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC
Fishing in the summer time and hiking and camping. So not a lot gets done, not that allot gets done in the first place we have watering restrictions and a tiered system of paying so I will not use more water than i have too just to keep from paying a very poorly run city.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:15 AM UTC
Well for me my other hobby is Mounting-biking .The weather is nice now(no more snow) I will be hitting the trails soon . We have 93km of trails along our river bank which makes a great day on spending time .
sgtsauer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
To carry on with the spirit of this thread, here are pics of my other hobby......Shooting and collecting various military rifles and pistols (except for my Kimber 1911 and Ruger 10/22)

I have several rifles that aren't shown here as well. My entire collection consists of: M1 Carbine, M1903 Springfield, Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (manufactured 1916), Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (manufactured 1944), Mosin-Nagant M44 (manufactured 1944), Japanese Arisaka Type 99, Japanese Arisaka Type 38, AR-15A4 (set up similar to Marine M16A4), AR-15 carbine (set up similar to SOCOM SOPMOD M4), Mossberg 42MBa (.22 caliber WWII training rifle), Ruger 10/22, Kimber TLE/RL II M1911, Benelli Super Nova 12 ga. Tactical shotgun, German K98 WWII rifle. I may have forgotten something but you get the idea.

Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Nice collection Brent,

I'm a gun collector too but mainly of long arms from the second half of the XIX century to the WWII. My collection goes from a 1868 Vetterli bolt action rifle to a Mosin-Nagant M-44 carbine (1948). I have other rifles like a M1 Garand (Springfield), a Finnish Mosin-Nagant, a Lee Enfield No.1 Mk.3 (Ishapore) and a 1903 Springfield.
My Argentine Mauser collection (7,65x54): a 1891 long rifle and the 1891 cavalry version; a 1909 long rifle and the cavalry and "engineer" versions.
I have also four pistols, three of them are war trophies that belonged to my grandfather (WWI and WWII veteran) : a Walther P-38, a Luger P 08 and a 9mm Walther PPK (with luftwaffe markings). The fourth is a 9mm Browning, this one was the service weapon of my father (an Argentine Army officer).

Cheers,

Claudio

troubble27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may have forgotten something but you get the idea.

Yup! I got the idea! I bet your house never gets egged on Mischeif night! LOL Nice collection. Half of that stuff would get me locked up in Jersey. LOL I need to move somewhere where they have nice gunb laws like PA LOL
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:45 AM UTC
welllllll,

there is motorcycle riding

and computers, lots and lots of computer related stuff going on

and some walking in the mountains

not forgetting making some wine

and a bit of photography...

But if I would have to make a choice, and only keep one hobby, then I would definitively stick to airplanes, airplanes and airplanes, of which modelling is an important part

MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But if I would have to make a choice, and only keep one hobby, then I would definitively stick to airplanes, airplanes and airplanes, of which modelling is an important part

I agree whole heartedly. It's my creative outlet.

Wow, that's a collection! There are firearms there that you won't see outside of the military here in Australia.

Cheers,

Hugh
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:03 PM UTC
Stringbaggers,

When I'm not chasing troubles on Multiplexers and Dacs machines for an American Telecom, or commuting to and from my "wonderful" workplace, or being the maintenance guy on my suburban ponderosa, or a husband, dad, or any of the other 1000 hats I've seem to have accumulated on this magical mystery tour, I have two other passions. They are doing artwork and building models.
You've seen some of the later, i've included a few examples of the former for your perusal.

These are all colored pencil drawings.

The images that were used as reference for these works are my compositions.

They are in the 24" x 18" area of dimension being horizontal or vertical in orientation and are copyrighted by myself.

Thanks for letting me share, Dwayne

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:37 PM UTC
I always enjoyed women as the ultimate distraction. How about you? Russell

P.S. The nice thing about being inbetween dates is that there is more time to build models.
I also enjoy amateur astronomy, a great hobby in and of itself.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:02 AM UTC
The main distraction from modelling is my job.
Not being a 9-5 (or whatever a working day is nowdays) person, I work away from home for about 8 or 9 months a year on average.
A couple of typical views from the "office"

My hobby of visiting and photographing old airfields and museums around the UK keeps me busy as well.
East Kirkby.

56FG Memorial at Halesworth

Remains of barrack huts at Thorpe Abbots (100th BG )

That usually keeps me out of trouble and I fill in any spare time I have by getting into trouble with a succession of totally MAD and unsuitable girlfriends
Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
Right. All kind of weirdos here allright.

Brent: If I had your weapons stash in Sweden I would not be on this site. I'd be in the deepest bunker the swedish penal system could find. But as a home guard liutenant they've handed me a H&K G3A4 and an occational saturday Glock 17, so I can get along anyway

Dwayne: Niiice paintings. I really got off by the subway floor. Love the shades.

Nigel: Still haven't got a hearing aid....?

As for myself I'm into bikes, bikes and bikes. This one is a semi-factory Yam 125 from my very brief classic racing career. Humiliated a Kawasaki 250 triple and a Honda 500 four with it, so at least I had more talent than economy.

This is the company project at the moment. A 450 cc cross/enduro/supermoto-racer. We beat some yanks with it in Oklahoma last weekend

The only bad thing about working with a lifetime hobby is that you seem to get less and less time with it as a hobby. But then again, every now and then I find myself behind the handle bar, throttle fully open, heavy lean angle and the sun pushing me from behind - and getting paid for it! That can be a slice of heaven
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
Whats that Tony?,,eh? Speak Up
So its bikes for you then Tony?
Great photos, but theyre not what Id call "Classic racing".
THIS, is what I call "Classic Racing" !
Isle Of Man TT, early 1950's. My father having loads of fun on a Norton!

Check out the spark plug spanner stuffed in his boot!
Nige
Removed by original poster on 05/29/08 - 15:36:02 (GMT).
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 06:10 AM UTC
I see your point. A Featherbed Manx should be in everyones garage. Or a Matchless G50 for that matter. And all things are not well with development. The spark plug on our 450 is buried so deep that your father would easily have made a lap around the mountain course on Man before we would have found the plug.

However, (hummppff) my 125 is a production variant of the racer Kent Andersson beat Chas Mortimer to the -73 and -74 world championships on. So there...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
First let me thank you for putting this here in Early Aviation.

Lets see what pulls me away from building models;

My family, because family comes first.
The woman I love. Cause she makes it all worth the struggle.
My modified 1999 Pontiac GTP.
Research into real documents and photos on this subject.
My family cause I have 5 kids and 6 grandchildren
a gray rainy day, cause I like em.
a crisp winter's night, cause I like em.
a breezy summers evening and a cup o' coffee.
My family cause your a dad til the day they shovel dirt on your box.
work cause I gotta pay the bills first or I don't get any modeling done.
My warm king sized water bed, cause I sleeps good.
Being moderator here cause I have to pass some of this on.
Last but not least thanking GOD in heaven for the good life I have.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...not least thanking GOD in heaven for the good life I have.

Amen to that!

Also, for moi:
Swee T & me and skysteed makes three...

Trains
ET&WNC RR at Doe River Gorge

Planes

Armoredmobiles

...hangin' around dungeons...

...my lil' beast...
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hello,

One other hobby of mine is my antique Dutch car a Daffodil from 1964:

I'm sitting behind the wheel, and besides me you 'll see Paul Thompson, also a very dedicated ww1 aircraft builder as well. We 're off to a classique car/aircraft meeting at an aircraft museum.

Cheers, Nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
I have way to many things to keep me busy.
Wife
5 Cats
10 grandchildren
1 great grandchild
geneaology
shooting
ancient coins
rc aircraft
golf (I hit a 400 yard drive today)
xytography
birdwatching
aggravating neighbors
researching models
watching football (American)
and whtever else happens during the day.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
got some nice "other" hobbies going on here. I'll share mine. granted I don't have a lot of money for it, it's still really fun to find all of the things I can do to a car that don't cost me hardly any money! Plus, working around all the computer controlled thingies makes things really challenging, but that's what I'm in for, a CHALLENGE!

I have a whole summer's worth of fun little mods lined up, and it'll probably cost me 200 dollars at the most! I know, I'll have to manage my time well to get through all the campaigns I'm singed up for!

Here's my baby, the Red Baron!!!!!!
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi Folks
Just had too show you this. Sweet Sweet. yep from my garden

Larsa Q
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
It's June in Massachusetts now and I've got my vegetable garden coming in rather nicely .Also I've got my two Kitties and a new Yellow Lab puppy who are learning to get along and I could watch them all day The Striped Bass are starting to arrive and I've got to get the boat ready, But when I get a little down in the dumps I have more models in the stash than I'll probably ever build I'll be able to retire from my job in 3 years and I'm only now 41 so I'll really start putting out some models soon. Can't wait Bob
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Here is a recent project that has had my attention.

_GOTOTOP