_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Royal Navy F-4K Phantom II
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 07:02 PM UTC
Time to start a new blog!

This is the excellent Fujimi 1/72 F-4K Phantom, they did lots of different boxings of the Spey-engined Phantoms, mine looks like this:

Since I have become a campaign junkie lately, this one will be built for the Phabulous Phantoms campaign.

Not much has been done yet but I did at least do some ceremonial glueing on the date of the first flight of the Phantom II (May 27) and a week later painting has started:

As I wrote, this is a very nice kit let down only by the engine outlets. Thanks to Aires, I have ordered a set of nice resin burner cans that should be on their way in the post as I am writing this!

See you soon!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Detail painting finished and some serious glueing done, it is already starting to look Phantom!

A photo showing the need for checking the building instructions before painting: who gave the RIO an artificial horizon :-) ? I won't fix it since it hardly will be seen...

And this is what it looks like at bedtime:

Magnus
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC
Wow!!! Finally I saw someone actually building one. I have a few other Fujimi Phantoms but I always wondered what the K and M looked like. Looks eye catching so far...will be watching...
....Hmm... should I start the Brit J to back this up...hmmm....
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!!! Finally I saw someone actually building one. I have a few other Fujimi Phantoms but I always wondered what the K and M looked like. Looks eye catching so far...will be watching...
....Hmm... should I start the Brit J to back this up...hmmm....

Of course we need a J! In Tiger Sqn markings if I may ask !

Magnus
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 09:47 PM UTC
I am not at home at the moment but as soon as I get there I'll check. I have two Brit Js, one Fujimi(if my sponge is not mistaking me it was in deed the Tiger SQ) and one Esci. If one is suitable. Why not:} Actually I was planing to build a TuAF 2020 Terminator but who said that I can only build one. To be honest after the (probably failed) graduation project I am so wound up that I may build what ever Phantom I have in stock at once for the campaigne:}
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:03 PM UTC
Really good looking cockpit there magnus! your plane is looking really good alreaddy keep up the good work!
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 09:57 AM UTC
Yep, both are Tiger. I'll try a double build with two of the Squadron:}
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC
Looks great, Magnus. The cockpit is really nicely done - especially considering the scale.

Looking forward to see more
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
Looking good so far.
I hear that Fujimi do the best Phantom kits, what's your impression of the kit?
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far.
I hear that Fujimi do the best Phantom kits, what's your impression of the kit?

I have heard that the Hasegawa ones are superior when it comes to accuracy but that is only what I have heard and I have no idea in what areas they should differ. As for Spey Phantoms, Fujimi's are the only game in town (OK then, there is/was a Matchbox as well: good luck with that one!).

I have made a quick comparison using the models I have at hand:

Hasegawa F-4J
Fujimi F-4J (Kit G-9)
Fujimi Spey Phantoms (3 different!)

The Fujimi kits are probably easier to build since Fujimi went for complete fuselage mouldings while Hasegawa favours separate front and back ends in order to get different versions. The Hasegawa kit generally gives an impression of lots of pieces!

I like moulded on side console detail, the Spey Phantoms has it while the Fujimi F-4J doesn't. Odd... There is no detail on the consoles of the Hasegawa kit either but they include a set of nice padded sidewalls!

Bang seats in the Spey Phantoms and the Hasegawa kit are excellent while the one in the Fujimi J looks rather bland and is a single piece moulding.

All the Fujimi kits include the appropriate external loads, especially the RAF F-4M contains all sorts of explosive bits and pieces while Hasegawa as usual only brings us the drop tanks.

So, my conclusions:

If all Fujimi Phantoms were like their Spey Phantoms I would go for them beacuse of their ease of construction, cockpit detailing and full weapons load. But it doesn't seem to be like that since the "normal" Fujimi Phantom's seem to be of a simpler design (there are a few reviews on the Internet supporting this as well) and then probably Hasegawa has an edge with a better seat for the modeller willing to battle with the split fuselage... Is there some Phantomaniac out there who can give us the definite answer on this issue?

On to the modelling:

Wings are on and those hard-to-reach areas behind the splitter plates have received a coat of Xtracrylix EDSG:

Splitter plate painted white and carefully adjusted in place:

And finally the complete intakes:

There will soon be a new build starting. Same paint scheme, earlier type of aircraft...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 05:30 PM UTC
Definitely starting to look like a Phantom now! It will probably get a grey base coat tonight so that I can fix those blemishes that I am sure will show up.

Magnus
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Magnus. She surely looks phantom:} I was about to ask about the cockpit panels but I just read your message above. Yes oddly the J has plain and decaled panels, which by the way in some places go off the plastic parts(I mean the decals) . I started to both Fujimi and the Esci one at the same time. Unfortunately I dpn't have a digital cam so I won't be posting them for a while, sorry. If you(I mean general, everyone, Phantomheads) menage to find it the Esci F-4S(and J for RAF) kit is no worse then the Fujimi ne. I am having so much fun with the gals:]
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:38 PM UTC
I love those Phantoms. My next build will be Robins Old's "C".

Great progress.
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hey Magnus

keep up the great work mate its looking real good. i love your cockpit thats real well done for the scale
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:07 PM UTC
Carl and James: I suppose that what you really mean is "Where are the frequent and interesting updates to this absolutely excellent thread that we really long for?"

I have been working on a review build of the Xtrakit Sea Vixen for a few weeks (I KNOW, never start something before the current project is finished but I have little choice in this case...), when that one is ready for paint the Phantom will start rolling again as well since they share the paint scheme.

Stay tuned!

Magnus
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC
I started a topic in the Cold War division, also added some cockpit shots, may be helpful to the others...cheers.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hello friends!

It's been a long time since my last update but I have finally decided that the Phantom must start moving in order to get finished before deadline!

A VERY boring update today, an all-grey Phantom:

I am working on the ejection seats right now, when they are finished I can attach the canopy and start painting the lower surfaces.

See you soon!

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
Eagerly awaiting it's rollout! The Spey Phantoms are a favorite of mine. I am building Tamiya's 1/100 kit for RAF.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC
I was wondering what happend to the Spook:] Good to see it comming.
Tamiya 1/100?? That is an early model E(orEJ), you'll need a great deal of work on it. Good luck. I am all eyes for the result.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:31 PM UTC
Slooooooowly forward...

Canopy masked and attached. Not the "magic fit" that I had expected but I won't blame Fujimi, it isn't unlikely that I myself am the cause of it...

Magnus
StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
Magnus!
I missed the start of this build but it looks good, as it always does when you get going. A bit of warning though. If you plan doing a 767 Sqn a/c with the bird on the fin, be aware that the kit decal is terribly wrong. It looks more like a fat duck than the slender tern it should be. However there is a correct version of this decal on Modeldecal sheet #2. If you need any help, it is nearby, if you know what I mean.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus!
I missed the start of this build but it looks good, as it always does when you get going. A bit of warning though. If you plan doing a 767 Sqn a/c with the bird on the fin, be aware that the kit decal is terribly wrong. It looks more like a fat duck than the slender tern it should be. However there is a correct version of this decal on Modeldecal sheet #2. If you need any help, it is nearby, if you know what I mean.

I don't think it is that bad really, compare this scan from the decals....

...with the photo on this link from Airliners.net:

Click Here
to view the photo

The decal could be a bit more refined but it isn't too far off either! Maybe a bit like me: Not excessively fat but not the slender tern I used to be

Regarding my choice of markings: I am pretty much stuck with a PTF-bird since the RIO got a stick before I had the time to think my choices over... On the other hand, 767 was the OCU so they might have had a few twin-stickers as well?

Thanks for the decal offer, I know you have a "few" sheets in the stash!

Magnus

StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC
Nah, I don't agree, Magnus. When you compare them both, you can't help but see that the Fujimi bird's body is much to short and fat, especially the tail but also the neck. Dick Ward, OTOH, got it spot on! Offer still stands (I have an extra set). Don't spoil a potentially fine model with an incorrect decal!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
I've spent the evening in masking-tape-hell... Give me the name of the person who invented camouflages that wrap around leading edges and I'll force him to mask another one of my Fujimi Phantoms as punishment!

I thought I would have time to paint as well tonight but it is getting late and I'm quite tired after all the yellow tape so that will have to wait until tomorrow!

Sten: I agree regarding the bird now. I'll get back to you if I'll do that one!

Magnus
StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Nice to hear that you've come to your senses! You know where to find me...
 _GOTOTOP