_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official: Phabulous Phantom Thread
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC
Gday all im so happy to see most of you again. This is the official thread to talk about the Campaign and post your progress pictures.

Its good to see so many participants and if you still want to join heres the link : https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=224

The rules are as followed:
- Dioramas are welcome
- There are a total of 54 variants of the F-4 Phantom II, every single one may be made.
- Any country thats has purchased or leased EG. countries listed in operational overveiw are allowed but markings must be of that country.
- Can be built OOB and as much aftermarket as you want is allowed on your model.
- At least ONE photo of the participants finished model must be shown on the official "Phabulous Phantom" thread . And one photo during your build would also be apreciated (optional).
- Entries would be peferably started by the official starting time, you have six months to build so you have alot of time. If you have a started a model Please PM Jam2727 to get verification to enter.
- Participants are Encouraged to keep everyone updated about their build, If you wish to start your own thread feel free but keep some progress updates in the official thread. and keep the questions rolling, we want to help each other out in their models.
- Most of all have fun and enjoy doing this build with all the other participants in the 50th aniversary of the F-4 Phantom II

We start in three days

I still am deciding on a ribbon for the campaign, i will post one soon, but for now if you have one feel free to send it to me or post it on the forums.

So good luck everyone and have an enjoyable Build!

James
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 01:47 PM UTC
There is also a separate Gallery for your Campaign Photos of finished models at :
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/21025
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 02:07 PM UTC
Ok thanks for that Chuck
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC
I am really looking forward to this campaign. I will be building the Revell Phantom II in markings I seem to have seen on aircraft from WWII However, the markings still look great.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
A Phantom eh?
Well,,Ive never built a MiG of any description but I thought Id have a go at this when I get chance (hopefully, as my work diary is filling up rapidly and time at home between now and November is getting increasingly scarce )
So,,heres what Ive picked up for the Phantom Campaign!

Which end does the prop go?
Nige
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
I will be building the Revell Rf4E Turkish Air Force markings. It is 1/72 scale.

jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:52 PM UTC
Wow Really colorfull looking phantoms.
Jesper i am building the same kit as you!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 07:23 PM UTC
At Her Majesty's service:

I have had several Fujimi 1/72 Spey Phantoms in the stash for many years now, this is an excellent reason to build one of them! I have had a quick look in the box and the kit looks fabulous: relatively few parts and lots of details! I also had an F-4J (UK) in my mind but the Hasegawa kit is a lot more complicated and I prefer the "real" British Phantom anyway!

Looking forward to this campaign!

:-H

Magnus
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC
Gday all.
Today 50 years ago the F-4 Phantom II flew it's maiden Flight!
so that means the campaign officialy begins today, good luck to all who have entered so far
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday all.
Today 50 years ago the F-4 Phantom II flew it's maiden Flight!
so that means the campaign officialy begins today, good luck to all who have entered so far

In keeping with the spirit of the campaign and the fact that today is the fiftieth anniversary of the first flight of the Phantom II, I have done some ceremonial glueing:

Project start in earnest will have to wait a few days more, I have to finish what's on the workbench right now!

BTW, it is still May 27 here in northern Europe when I am posting this!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 07:17 PM UTC
Good morning friends!

Not much progress modelling wise but I have at least started a build blog !

Magnus
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:08 PM UTC
Lookin Great magnus.
i am about as far as you are, i have the seats built with the undercolor of grey, same with dashboards and the cockpit.

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
Well this is what I will be building,

Just have to finish a couple of P-51B's for the Aces high campaign first.

Ciao
Luciano
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Oh my! That's what I call boxart! Good luck with your Phantom Luciano!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:12 AM UTC
Things are progressing a lot faster than anticipated:

The Fujimi kit is a gem!

Build blog here !

Magnus
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hey all. i am up to my cockpit painting, this is my first try at doing it as best i can. wow it looks hard, little small dials everywhere! so ive been looking around on websites for cockpit pictures or layouts, with no real finds. so does anyone have a good reference website for cokpits?

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:03 PM UTC
James

Whenever i need cockpit info i visit here

It's quite good.

Andy
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:51 PM UTC
Thanks andy thats really great
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 09:57 AM UTC
Nice progress Magnus.

Ok a bit of paint has reached my F-4F still to add the seats tidy up the paint, camo paint and under carriage.

Now while building this Phantom and liking the way it goes together I thought I would dig out another and use some after market decals. This will be a F-4J of VX-4 the all black 'Playboy' aircraft.

Ciao
Luciano
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
wow Luciano thats looking great. how many do you think you will go through?

i have found a great website with 180 pages of F-4 phantom pictures! i even finally found some pictures of the red phantom im building.

just go to www.myaviation.net, there will be two drop down selections. just go to McDonnel Douglas F-4 Phantom II, real easy and really great pics

Chow

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
OK, I'm in. I shall be doing a bird in a similar - but not identical scheme to this one.

The decals in the Hasegawa kit are for 67-8383, and the painting plan in the instructions are slightly different from the photo above - I have the Kaburaya "Defenders of Nippon" book, but the profile in there is the only one I have found anywhere, other then the photo above. Any info provided by all you experts out there would be much appreciated.

I shall be using bits of the Verlinden detail set, which is of, uh, variable quality. Much of the EB, especially the consoles, is terrible, so I decided to use decals for them. The resin seats are pretty good though.

atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
This is Revell F-4F in 1/72 scale. I will complete the model as a Turkish Air Force plane.
First I build the cockpit and its components.Then I sprayed light grey on the cocpit parts and painted the dashboard black. On the weathering phase, I applied an acyrilic wash between the panels and I drybrushed the edges.

I have completed the general assembly of the model.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
I'm running even with you Ayhan!

Build blog is here !

Magnus
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 03:15 AM UTC
Ok I felt the need to type down too. I don't have a digicam at the moment so I have no proof but, I started, on the contrary to what I planned, to two of RAF F-4Js at the same time. One Esci(which I personaly found lovely) and one Fujimi (which is also a nice kit). Cockpits are done(almost) and bodies closed. Due to my extra clumsy fixing(and stubborn insistance on using Chloroform as glue) they both need a little bit putty. We'll see... On the other hand,with the adrenalin of the campaigne, I found the (suuuuper original ) idea of a personal project, which is building one of every country that flew F-4 variants. Blind Io help me:] Seems like I am good for the Brits, USN(For USA, I probably won't include a USAF one as long as there is an USN), Luftwaffe and HvKK(TuAF). Let's see what time will show!!! I will post photoes as soon as I can...
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 06:52 AM UTC
Some progress pictures.

_GOTOTOP