_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Jasta 5 Project
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Fellow Wingnuts,

This project has been occupying most of my modeling time the last five months or so and I've completed the first six machines of what will be eleven. I am collaborating with another enthusiast named Russ Hornbeck who is the main catalyst for the project and the main researcher. The final goal is to show the majority of the machines present at the Boistrancourt aerodrome in July of 1917.

The models are all Eduard of 1/48 scale with photo-etch, mono-filament and guitar string added for detailing.

I will be updating this thread with machines and shots of the base when they are complete.

Thanks for letting me share.
Regards, Dwayne

Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
Dwayne, you definately qualify as a "Wingnut"....................but they sure do look purty......Like REAL purty. Something "New" on each......

Regards
Steve
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC

WOW, Dwayne, that's an incredible collection. Post some more pictures up if you have the time.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 09:08 AM UTC
Most Impressive! I smell a Feature coming on! Model On Please!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:35 PM UTC
Most very impressive Dwayne , Lovely collection . Keep the pic's cpming !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC
Impressive.

About a year ago, I had the same idea. You have six finished aircraft, I have a closet full of unbuilt Albatri. Most excellent.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive. About a year ago, I had the same idea. You have six finished aircraft, I have a closet full of unbuilt Albatri. Most excellent.

Yes but one of them is 1/32. . .maybe a forced perspective project?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:06 PM UTC
Six in four months? Dwayne you sure you don't need to get out more?!

Seriously though, that's some effort to that many to such a good standard, and they're not just straight from the box as well.

Are you building several at once "production line style" to speed things up? Or are you a one model at a time sort of person?

Andrew
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:49 PM UTC
That is some lovely looking lassies mate! Keep 'em coming please!
duncan-k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:21 PM UTC
Fantastic!
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC
Absolutely beautiful work and a colorful lineup!. The 1/32nd bird is great!
RAGIII
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Wingnuts,

Thank you all for the kind words. I really admire everyones work here. I've been greatly aided by your input and from observing the work that is shared here, there is a tremendous amount of talent on this website. Its been a most eventful 2008 and this helps keep me sane!!!!! Andrew, actually the time frame is more like from early June so it is a bit longer. Steve, I had some time off in August so I'm not completely nuts and besides, my family knows exactly where I am, especially when someone needs a little something from Dads wallet !!!

I started four D III's and finished two, then I built and finished four D V's, so assembly line is kinda accurate. Everything was done a lot of times instead of once. I dressed them up with etch and corrected some of the flaws a bit more than I usually do. I still have two D III's partially done, waiting to have the fuselage halves joined. I only needed two for the project, so one is for the "When I flew with" build, the other may turn out to be a Voss. I have a couple of other things on the bench unrelated to this project so stay tuned for further developements.

Thanks again.
Regards, Dwayne

Dedicated to my Dad..............Thanks Dad!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:17 PM UTC
Oh your not getting off that easy! Tell us about your wood grain method. I like it.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 04:54 AM UTC
Mr. Lawson, you are indeed a task master, now I know how Igor feels! I think a demo would be the best way to describe the method. When I complete one of the remaining D III's I'll take pics of the process and post them. I'll write a brief explanation for now.

Using oil based enamels, I paint the natural fuselage using Humbrol #63 which is a warm honey brown. I let this cure for 24 hours. I then mix Humbrol #74 which is a yellowish Ivory with the #63 color in a ratio of 75/25, darker to lighter color. I then use a #00 brush to freehand the wood grain pattern on the panels, trying to alternate the pattern on the panels as I go.

After this is dry for a few hours I mix up another batch of the colors mentioned above but only this time a little lighter, say 60/40 dark to light. This is used to highlight the second color. I will use it in the middle and along the contours of the second color.

Once the third treatment has dried for a few hours I then mix up a new variation using #63 as the base and add #73 which is like a reddish burnt sienna color in a mixture of about 85/15. The #73 is pretty dominant so I take it easy on how much is used. Then I take out the dreaded #0000 brush and add contour lines between the base color and the larger wood grain areas as well as some grain lines within the base color itself.

The final step is to use the last mixture to add the panel lines. If they come out as too dark then I wait another 48 hours and give a light wash of the base color over the panel lines to tone them down. Ease does it on the last step because too much thinner can mix the whole lot if not let to dry for a nice spell.

I try to keep the variation in tone from the base color to a minimum to reflect the subtle differences found in sheet plywood. This method is constantly evolving so feel free to try it and change it around to make it your own.

Regards, Dwayne

P.S. How come Ursula never has to do any of this stuff?????????
eagledoc2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 09:19 AM UTC
I would love to see a demonstration of the wood grain painting technique you describe. Excellent work and a fantastic series of aircraft! Thank you
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Mr. Lawson, you are indeed a task master, now I know how Igor feels! . . .Regards, Dwayne

P.S. How come Ursula never has to do any of this stuff?????????"

Messer Williams,
Thats Eyegor (he hates it when we misspell his name.) Also Ursula has many tasks keeping the 24 all girl ground crew inline. They can be more than a hand full if not overseen constantly. Cooking cleaning and late night pillow-fights.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Aeroscalites,

Well this has been one very busy Winter/Spring and Summer of 2009. Between work and house projects I have barely enough time to sit down let alone get some modeling in. The current economy has made all businesses tighten their belts and a lot of us must get used to the idea that we are now expected to do more with less. I won't complain because I find myself among the fortunate as I still have a job, well so far!

Anyway, I have been fortunate in having acquired a set of Americal Gryphon Jasta 5 decal sheets. This has rescued me from learning how to make my own. It didn't seem to be an impossible task to learn how but with my limited time resources its has been a most fortunate development. The Americal sheets do not appear to have separate carriers for each decal so it looks like quite a bit of trimming will be needed. Does anyone out there have experience with this set of their decals and is there anything that I should know about?

So now the assembly line has started in earnest. Here are a couple of pics from the next batch. The interiors are almost complete. When they are I will be assembling them according to which markings they will have. I can see that the Rumey and the Bavarian pattern machines will need to have the fuselage assembled without wings or tail plane to ease in putting on the rather large decals.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I will post pics as they are completed.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Excellent Dwayne! No need to say it but I will. Model On!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Most impressive work Dwayne , any close up pic's of the cockpits before you close them up ?
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 04:31 PM UTC
Per your request Teri, here are a couple pics of the interior of one of the D,V's. It is out of the box, which in this case includes photo etch seat belt and harness from the 1124 Dual Combo profi-pack.

Jasta 5 proj 7/21/09 #1

Photobucket

NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC
Great collection

Congratulations

Cheers Nick
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
I can truely appreciate the repetitive nature of your project. Also I have a large admiration for your skills and workmanship. Dwayne Model on!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thanks Dwanye !

Your woodgrain is fantastic as well . Nice clean workmanship in the painting in the cockpits .
I Have built one plane from the dual combo kit 1124 . Was the first kit I posted pic's of .

Keep up the great work and I look forward to more of your progress
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:22 PM UTC
Thanks folks, I have a couple getting close to joining the line-up. I'll post when they're done. But first it's time for a little R and R, I'm taking the family for a bit of summer vacation fun. I've been looking forward to some time off for a while now and I have my fingers crossed that all goes well and everyone has a good time. See you in about a week.

Dwayne
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:46 AM UTC
Are there anymore Jasta 5 additions to be made to the line-up?
 _GOTOTOP