_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tamiya 1/32nd Zero in Progress.
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
I've just started this monster of a kit after having it on the shelf since my father-in-law sent it to me from Japan upon it's release two xmas's ago. I say "monster" coz it's quite intimidating. :-)

I've completed the engine, though I'm not particularly happy with it. This is the first time I've fully assembled a component before painting it...usually I'm very anal about painting every part seperately before assembly. With this engine I airbrushed the completed block with matt-black, which looked cool. Then came the detail-painting...what a pain. Then added the wiring and exaust-stacks (ok, so it wasn't FULLY "fully" assembled). Final black wash after going at it with fine wire-wool. An organic procedure...I hate regimented technique, which is why I generally suck at modelling. As soon as I find something that works I ignore it and look for an alternative.

Anyway, here's the pic. I would have posted earlier shots but I finished it before I registered here. Yes, I know the cowl-frames are the wrong colour...I imagine a maverick ground-crew was on the Nihonshu one night and had fun with a spray-gun.

animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:10 AM UTC
Don't know much about airplanes but the engine looks impressive. Love to follow your progress on this build
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know much about airplanes but the engine looks impressive

I fall into this category as well. And to me this looks intimidating and impressive at the same time! How many parts build this engine?? Think IŽll stick to armor!!
Good luck with the rest of the build........ and it is nice to see in-progress shots. We might learn something!!
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Siggi

Wow! The detail is incredible on this piece. What a challenging build, which you have obviously met. I wouldn't have the patience.

Congrats and thanks for the pic.

Steve
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:03 AM UTC
The number of parts come to around 180, including scratch-built items. The breather-tubes, for instance, that connect the heads of each piston were made up from a piece of steel rod and a tiny segment of wire-sheath on each end. In other words there's little skill involved with this engine, it's pure grunt-work on tiny bits. Mechanical patience makes the difference on something like this imho. Which means anyone who can bear to stoop over a desk for a couple of hours at a time, crossed-eyed and numb-fingered, can achieve the same result. :-)
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
EXCELLENT WORK SIGGI - CONGRATS

ROBERTO
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
EXCELLENT WORK SIGGI - CONGRATS

ROBERTO
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
Siggi

That radial sure looks good. Bet it took quite a bit of time to put together.
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:30 PM UTC
Yah, I nearly gave up on this yesterday. I knocked over a full bottle of PlasWeld and a couple of plane assemblies were caught in the flood. Despite my instant grab that stuff already started to go to work...tail-hook assembly, drop-tank nose and the radio all got a blast. Fortunately no serious harm done, though the desk lost acres of varnish and I got high on the fumes.

Anyway, I've been busy wiring the cockpit. Much drilling of holes and what-not. A quick pic then, just to keep the thread alive.

RIMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:59 PM UTC
I also fall in the categori Armor and Wooden boat but it look pretty impressive like to see more picture of your progress.
Nice work anyway. keep posting
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
The cockpit's just about done. There's about ten hour's work in it so far. Ooh, me eyes, me back! #:-)

The harness is made from vinyl and etched metal. I think I should have made my own from lead foil, the vinyl looks a bit bogus. So far the parts fit with incredible precision. This is Tamiya at it's best imo.

BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
amazing
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 09:37 AM UTC
wow looks great, very nice work, nice big kit, gonna have to try a 32nd kit they always have the nicest details goin, I guess there is more room to play with......

Bender
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
You have done this before haven't you. This looks fantastic. Would it be asking too much if I could have the knowledge that you are storing in your little finger? LOL You produce outstanding work,thanks for sharing it
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
I did this model about 8 months ago and did it straight OOB. It's one of my favourites and the detail is spectacular but it doesn't look as good as the job you're doing here!
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
It's the ground-in dirt(?) that amazes me the most. (I assume that's what the dusty brown color is.) How did you do it? Pastels, airbrush, or what?

Thanks for sharing, and keep posting the pics. We'll all follow with interest, I'm sure.
steve203
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
That is absolutely amazing!
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's the ground-in dirt(?) that amazes me the most. (I assume that's what the dusty brown color is.) How did you do it? Pastels, airbrush, or what?

Thanks for sharing, and keep posting the pics. We'll all follow with interest, I'm sure.

The dusty brown effect is achieved with powdered pastels and a medium-soft brush. Dab some onto the brush, jab it in and work it. It goes on top of a wash (dried) and lead-pencil edge-highlights (Grade-B). It all kind of blends together with enough elbow (finger) grease and either comes up looking good or turns to crap, depending on my luck.

Powdered pastel also makes an excellent gun-polish (can't really be seen very well in the following pic, the flash wipes a lot of shadowy effect). Silver base, matt-black on top. Rub down gently with wire-wool to get some silver showing. Black wash, allow to dry and then work over long and firmly with a medium-hard brush & black pastel powder. Final gentle polish with a soft cotton hanky. The resultant sheen/shadowing is a joy to behold.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
:-) Impressive, I will have to get one of these. In this scale I would have to go that extra mile, and a half. I hope that when I do I can approach your standard
Mal
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Siggy,
I don't know almost anything about planes, but that they navigate troughout the seas, lakes rivers, etc., but this ting it's really impressive!!! Is it in 1/1 scale?
Bravissimo!!!
Ciao
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
WOW! Really great stuff. I love the weathering on the yellow tanks in the last pic.
Machu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
I likee :-)
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
I'm hooked more photos, more, more, more.
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
Very nice work, looks great. I have started my cockpit and this kit really is amazing.

Scott
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
Aye carumba, nearly two hours to do the canopy masks. Pre-cut would be A VERY POPULAR MOVE FROM TAMIYA! :-)

_GOTOTOP