_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Decal trimming-wet or dry?
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 09:29 PM UTC
When decals overhang, like on the leading and trailing edges of wings,around elevators and ailerons is it best to trim them when they are still wet or wait until they are dry?
Any advice would be appreciated.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi Des,

In this case, I let the decal dry and then sand the excess away with fine sanding paper. It usually works very well.

Jean-Luc
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc for your advice.
In my particular case, I am applying lozenge to a WW1 aircraft on both upper and lower wing surfaces and they join at the leading and trailing edges. They are different colours so a good join line is important. Even though sanding would work in a lot of cases I would not be able to do it in this particular instance.
This is my first attempt at applying lozenge so I would like to get it right (if possible).
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 09:10 PM UTC
I did a DVII some time back and trimmed the lozenge dry. I did bottom first and wrapped it slightly round the leading edge and trimmed the trailing edge, then fitted the top of the wing using the straight edge of the decal as the leading edge finally trimming the trailing edge. Trimming wet gives a risk of the decal moving while trimming. I used a new scalpel blade to trim the dry decals and because you are trimming against the trailing edge youcan get a scissor action between the knife and the trailing edge. I haven't tried covering a fuselage yet so can't comment on that, my DVII was Ernst Udet's with red fus and candy striped upper wing
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the info, I will certainly give it a go like you suggest, sounds like the most common sense way of doing it.
I have built a lot of WW1 aircraft but none with lozenge, it always scared me off. I've plucked up the nerve to give my latest build the full lozenge treatment.
Thanks again

Cheers

Des
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
You and me both, that was my first lozenge. There are some v good (and V.Technical articles on the WW1 forum. I'll be joining you soon as I have bought another DVII and don't like the kit markings so will be looking for an alternative, another Osprey book needed
 _GOTOTOP