_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
High Planes CAC Winjeel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 11:53 PM UTC
A new set of decals arrived here yesterday, a huge thanks goes to Steve at High Planes Models!

I'll make it to this weekend's show!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
Making landing lights!

Make indentations in wine bottle lead foil using a suitably shaped tool (in this case the back end of a paintbrush).

Carefully shave off the indentation from the lead foil sheet. This is the tricky part but it helps making many, at least some will make it through quality control!

Reflector installed in wing leading edge cut-out.

MV lenses would probably yieid even better results but since I had none at home second best will have to do this time. It is a bit like using tape for seat belts, another technique that I am fond of!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
Finished!

I'm packing for the C4 show this weekend so I'll come back with a report and a few modelling conclusions as well early next week!

Magnus
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi magnus,

Excellent work in every aspect! I'm looking forward to the final report. Will you submit it for a feature?

Jean-Luc

P.S. Can you shoot some photos at the C4 expo and send them to us for a report? I know I am asking too much...
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:05 AM UTC
Excellent job Magnus, a little stunner. And I'm not just saying that because it has a Kangaroo on it !!

It's been a great build to follow.

Cheers, D
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments!

I took a few more photos of the finished model.

Show was not very successful for the Winjeel: Nobody liked it, or at least not the judges Some fellow modellers thought it looked cool though and that counts for something at least!

When it comes to modelling conclusions: No, it isn't hard to build but it is a short run... Take care, dry fit carefully and you will be rewarded with a model that goes together without too much trouble. The carburettor intake was a disappointment but can be fixed with normal modelling skills. And don't waste your time on the kits seats; find suitable items in the scrap box or scratch build them!

Magnus
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 11:33 PM UTC
Have to admit that I hardly noticed your build at C4-open, it was when I came home and looked through the pictures that I noticed it...

And never mind what the judges think, I think it's a good looking build.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Looking at the sprues I would never say that this model can turn out so great! Amazing job Magnus, big respect!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thomas! Are you colour blind ? It was the only thing in the whole competition that was orange ! Glad you like it from the photos!

Michal! You have to try a High Planes kit sometime. You will be amazed how good they are if you prepare the parts properly!

Magnus
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi Magnus

It's great! I love it particularly for its "Percival Provost - but not!" quality, if you know what I mean. To a Brit, it seems instantly familiar until you look more closely.

Great work all round! You've got to turn this into a Feature Article.

All the best

Rowan
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas! Are you colour blind ? It was the only thing in the whole competition that was orange !

As a mather of fact I'm color blind... But in my case the problem is seeing differences between red-brown-green... To prove it I have a chocolate brown LVTP7 on the shelf at home, but what can I say, the color looked green to me...
 _GOTOTOP