_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden's Pfalz D.III in progress ......
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC
Well this is my first 32 scale build . Some of you vote for a different one , but this sexy aircraft beat them all ! ( sorry guy's )

I have the Part PE set for this kit and WOW it is something else !!!
Windsock Datafiles # 7 is my main sources of ref's plus anothers used in the dual combo build .

Still don't know what the colour markings will be or it could be done if I was the pilot !

So far this is what I have done . Starting with removing the excess ports and cowls . Still have some clean up to do . ..................

Yes I know not much of a start . Next will be sanding away the frame detail on the inside of the fuselage . So more will follow
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
Very good choice Terri, it makes up to be a very nice looking model.

Good luck with your build, I am eagerly awaiting your next post.

Cheers

Des.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 07:35 PM UTC
Welcome to my world Terri (1:32 that is). Off to a cracking start but be careful with the PE sometimes as you know the plastic is actually better. A little brass for brasses sake as always with PE.

It will be interesting to see how far down the dissassembly line you go with this...like my Albi in about 40 more bits than the kit came in.

I do reccomend checking the engine though, kake sure the Roden Merc is the right one for the kit...it isnt for the OAW as Stephen pointed out to me.

Looking forward to seeing this progress Terri, I am sure it's gonna be a beaut. Stripes by chance?

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC
Just for a heads up the Pfalz D.III and the Albatros D.III (OAW) both arrived at the front at roughly the same time, in the late summer early fall 1917. As a matter of fact the early production examples of both types arrived in the same two colour lilac and green shadow shading over all.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thanks Guy;s ! After seeing all the 32 scale builds and some of you guy's giving hints my way to build one for a while now .

There is a few porfiles in my refs on the lilac / green , just haven't found one colourful enough yet !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Okay , I have made small progress on this one . Here is the framing so far . The floor hasn't been glued in yet . But it fits !! I might change it and not have it at all . There is some nice detailing to the control column , be nice to show it off . What you guy's think ?

For the longerons I used 30 x 40 strips of evergreen and for the strapping I used .010 x .060 .

The engine halves are glue together and the ammo bin has .010 card backing , just needs to sanded and test fitted again .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 04:17 PM UTC
So where is the strip down tail unit?
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC

Very nice, Terri.

Mark
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
Awesome job Terri!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thanks guy's !

Stephen , due to funding issues of this year we are unable to conplete the tail section . We have been working hard with sponsers to ensure next years AMS build will have this built in even if we have to use a pencil and draw it in on paper and use tricks in photoshop
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
We can't let that go like that. Com'on everyone lets take up a collection for Terri's tail unit !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Small up date ....................

More framing was added . Half of the floor has been cut away . Engine fit;s nice . Both fuselage halves have the detail removed and the fit is great !

Pic's up later today
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 10:59 AM UTC
Hey I have some pic's for you guy's !

The framing has it's first of many coats of the wood grain . Ammo bins test fitted but not glued in place . They still need some work done to them . Engine in it's place . I did start with adding bolt heads but didn't shoot any photo's of that yet .

Fuselage halves where putty in some areas and sanded followed by there first coat of pale blue/grey still have a bit more sanding to do and thin out the excess holes on the fuselage side .

And here are some pic's as well on wht the framing looks like enclosed in the fuselage . Once the wood is finished off can start adding the detail work .

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Now that's coming along really nicely Terri, How are you finding 1/32 world?
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC
Very impressed. I've never had the patience for scratchbuilding like that.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Thanks guy's .

So far Keith to be honest with you , I'm not liking it to much at all . To big for the work bench and will have no place to display it afterwards . it has nothing to do with the detailing it's just the size . I rather work in 48 or 72 scale I will finish this one but don't think I will start anymore and more then likely use the ones I have left as trades .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Still doing the wood grain and haven't forgotten about this build ...........

I'll have up some soon
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
Progress is coming along on this build , but slowly ! Parts for the cockpit are being testfitted with the PE parts being added as I go and how much clearence there will be for the wiring and plumbing . I should have pic's up when better progress has been made .

Finally decided on my personal markings for this bird .........white fuselage with blue stripes running down the lenght of the fuselage . silver/grey wings with black bands
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

, I'm not liking it to much at all . To big for the work bench and will ...work in 48 or 72 scale I will finish this one but don't think I will start anymore and more then likely use the ones I have left as trades .

Hi Terri:

I am just the opposite, I like the 1:32nd stuff, and am thinking of using my 1:48 as trades. If you are game, contact me off list and I can give you a list of my 1:48 stuff to trade.

Best
Mark
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC

Very beautiful Terri!!!

Regards.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:43 PM UTC
Terri,
Have you been sniffing the same brand of glue as Brad Cancian?
Really Impressive, thanks for sharing this build!
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
Have you been sniffing the same brand of glue as Brad Cancian?
Really Impressive, thanks for sharing this build!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick ! No haven't been sniffing the same glue as Brad , he won't share
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
Been spending some time in front of the bench today and got some pic's in as well .

New gun supports I fashioned out of evergreen strips of I-beam , rod metal wire and model rail road items .
I found the Roden parts for this to be a little on the heavy side and needed scaling down . Lot's of sanding had to be done on the ammo bins to get it to fit within the frame work . Still have the space I need for other plumbing to pass on it's side with out interfering with the fuselage . Rudder bar is getting it's details added to it . Turnbuckles I made form wire and q-tip and for the cable stock rod .

Engine is under way something which I need to get done first so ever thing which needs to be attach can be .
For the detailing wire left over form my car days was perfect for the spark plug wires and q-tips for the plugs them self . part of the control column is assembled and waiting for the detailing as well as Parts PE seat which I had trouble getting it to do what I wanted it to do . The bottom has been back with 0.15 card to give more scale appearance . I'm jumping around on this build with no order . When something comes to mind on how to do a part , I start working on it .

I do find that it is total different in the detail department compared to 48 scale on how to make the parts and add items to the build . sure makes you re-think things ! So far it is an enjoy build and one which is far off form being finished , still Lot's to do in the pit and engine bay before the two fuselage halves are glued .
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC

Very nice, Terri. The engine wiring looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing this build unfold.

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Did you use two different engines? When you write Q-tips for the plugs, is that your technique of shrinking the plastic tubes? (Have to try that). What are using for the tube the iginition wires come out of? Brass tubing? Looks good.
 _GOTOTOP