Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:72 Sopwith Camel
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC
hi Ben,
Actually counting wingribs from one of your pics. it does seem at least like they gave you the right wings------why on earth a 'ship's Camel fuselage defeats me!!!

Dave.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
David,
I just measured the wingspan: 118.3 mm, which is pretty much the 118.5mm you get from scaling down the 28 foot wingspan of the F.1.

So there are two photos of B6212 in 'Sopwith Camel Squadrons'? Anyone with this book and a scanner, I would really appreciate the scans, as I am working blind, and don't really want to spend quite a lot of money on a book for the two photos. My email address is ben at micklem dot com. As big an image file as possible!

I think the wooden fairings (behind whatever those things are sticking out of the side at the back of the metal section of the fuselage are) were quite unusual, so they will probably be removed unless I hear that this aircraft had them.

Sorry for this being such a boring build thread- I really need to make some progress!
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi mate---yes, indeed the breather tubes had those little fairings on sometimes--but 'black prince' has not.

i can photostat (about the limits of my technophobic abilities) those pics--and the two nice colour artworks if you can wait a few day's for them to get to you---no probs.

Simply let me know your postal address and it's done.

Yours,
Dave.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 08:14 PM UTC
David,

That is very kind, and I would appreciate it a lot. I have sent my address in a Private Message (flashing letter icon in the top right of the window, if you haven't seen it yet).
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi Ben,

Just read that mate---pics. will be posted on monday--should be with you mid-week.

Cheers,
Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 12:13 AM UTC
No worries on the progress Ben . It has been an enjoyable thread to follow , learn't a few things which I didn't have in my ref's . Working with all that PE parts isn't easy either .

I don't have the Camel Squadron making book if I did scans would be on the way . But Dave has got you covered well there ! Thanks Dave for helping out Ben
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

My pleasure, We all love Camels---I built Mick Reeves 1/3rd. Scale one (quite a few years ago), and his Sopwith 'Pup'--For a long time our house looked like Canbury Park Road--not to the amusement of my good lady.........

Dave
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
I've finally got down to doing something positive with this (spent weeks just fiddling with a bit of PE here, filling a hole or line there...). I was distracted with some diorama bits for my Typhoons...

Anyway, I'll show my progress in a few photos:

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Excellent progress Ben with those tiny etch parts !
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thanks Terri.

Not much progress tonight, but I think I am going to leave these wood bits as they are, as I'm not sure you'll be able to seen any of this work!

Seat is done. Instrument panel is nearly there. Should be ready to close her up this week.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Ben , painting looks good on the PE parts . For inside of the fuselage halves it looks good , just the framing needs to pick out in a darker colour . Sealed and the a fine wash will bring out the detail of it better .

I do admire your bravery for working in this scale with all the PE !
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:07 AM UTC
Terri, it was not bravery that got me started with this cursed brass, but misplaced optimism.

Here's the instrument panel. Looks hideous, but I don't think you'll be able to see it this clearly once it is installed.

These side parts don't fit (should have removed more of the framing from the plastic side walls), so have been removed (only a few minutes after they were painted...).

Also the separating wires and frame between the seat and the fuel tanks doesn't fit in the fuselage, so this piece of PE will be left off. Included my thumb as a scale for those who don't work in 1/72.

The curled cream thing is a piece of painted paper that will be glued to the floor before the etched parts (much easier than filling this seam with the fuselage glued together).

My main reference has been these three photos posted by Stephen a while back:
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/75083&page=2

See the big aluminium pipe? That isn't included in the kit or PE, so I have made it. I guess it is the air intake for the engine?
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
Did my photos. I posted not help at all then.......!!!!!!!

Dave.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
David, your references are invaluable for knowing so many things- the cut away of the cockpit, location of fuel pump, location of tail control wires, and everything about the exterior coluring. I meant the references I was using for the colours of the interior, in particular the wood panel (and why I wasn't following Terri's advice to do the framing darker- as well as it being easier to leave it as it is!).
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC
Good man, Ben.---You want to fill those holes (outboard) on wings mate.

Dave.
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
Ben---you have my apologies mate---having JUST this minute remembered I have an in-box and read your reply on NOv. 23rd. (one day after my birthday)!

I plead (I'm a little pleader) new-ness here---and once again ask for your indulgence.

Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:21 AM UTC
Sorry Ben and Dave for what ever confusion caused . Was only trying to give a suggestion to aid Ben in his build . Please don't shoot me !
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

No, no--you misunderstand luv---it was ME getting all precious 'cos I thought Ben had'nt acknowledged my pics. I posted to him.....but Egg on me face------'cos he'd PM'd me but---silly me--had'nt looked, hence my apologies!

All fixed now lovely lady

Dave.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
I've not had many things go smoothly with the cockpit assembly- I managed to break a lot of things while assembling the fuselage too late last night. Most of it is back in place now, but with a few more ugly blobs of superglue. The rudder pedals suffered the most, and are now looking a bit rough, but is will be hard to see them anyway.

I assembled the floor components to one half of the fuselage before joining it.

I added the supports for the seat and the fuel tank after the fuselage was closed (I left the middle parts of these bare, so the glue gripped to the metal, rather than to the paint).

I am happy that the fiddliest job is over (I can't imagine that the rigging with be as bad, though I may be mistaken!), and the result is a fairly good compromise of time to quality of result, considering how much will be seen.
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
Looking very smart, I'll watch this with interest as I have the Ship's camel and Part set in the stash.

Mike
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
Thanks Mike.

You'll find the Part PE set perfect for the ship's camel- all the instructions assume that is the kit you're building, e.g. the external control linkages, the 'handle' thing on the cockpit gun mount, that has a rod that goes up to the wing mounded gun, and the wing mount itself.

The instructions say to build the interior as a unit, and install it in one piece. If you intend to do this, you'll have to thin the kit parts a bit, as it is a tight fit. I found it quite easy to chop the set up and install in parts.
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Thanks Ben, makes a change for me to actually buy the right thing for the right kit! There's certainly a lot of work in that interior. By the way what do you intend to use for the colour scheme?

I used the xtracolour enamels from Hannants on a Sopwith Pup (must get round to uploading some photos)for the PC10 and doped linen, they went on a treat, I can recommend them if you don't have something else in mind.

Cheers
Mike
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:13 PM UTC
I'm making this as 'Black Prince', B6212, from No.13 Sqn RNAS. The cowling, shielding and plywood sections are black, as are the wheel covers, fin and tail stabilisers. Blue elevators and linen under-surfaces of the wings and tail. The rest in PC12, which I will mix myself (I'm thinking of adding a touch of red, and maybe even a tiny touch of blue to Xtracylics RAF Dark Earth). The linen I'll be mixing from white, Dark Earth and yellow- I'll probably use a few different colours for shading and to represent different thicknesses of linen, or different types.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:38 PM UTC
I've been preparing (mentally!) for the painting. I've taken measurements of the width of the rib tapes from photos (of several airframes), and luckily, these come out at 0.8mm in 1/72. This is excellent, as I have a packet of 0.5, 0.8 and 1.3mm masking stripes from Eduard (and almost all of the 0.5 is used up).
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
Looks very nice!

Especially in that scale!

Good luck

Cheers Nick