_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Republic P-47D-1 - 1/48 Tamiya
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi gang

Well, I need something to get into the mood for modelling. My other projects are stuck for a while and destroyed pretty much all of my motivation for them. I have this model in my stash for quite a while and intend to do it as Gerald Johnson's "In the Mood" (does that fit or what )

I got PynUp Decals "Beautiful Jug's pt 1" (wonder if that is meant ambiguous ), Griffon Flaps and Quickboost cowling flaps.

I started by building thepit and adjusting the cowl flaps which are too small (cut them loose and glued each to the cowling. The pit is not yet done .. I have to chek whether I have some Eduard US seat belts in the stack or if I have to use the decal (this is one of my aoob - almost out of the box - projects ) ..the dash also needs some attention

I hope I get this finished over the next week or so .. but we will see.

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Sh*t...another thread to have a head stuck in...you have no mercy to us.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi Michal

Err, nobody forces you to look into my threads .. still I am glad you do.

I just need to build some stuff that I can finish. I finally have my Super E. dash, but I have no joy in that project (at the moment)... So to canalize my free energy, finish something and get "in the mood" for demanding projects a Tamiya kit is always worth a thought.

cheers

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Great start as always, I shall be keeping an eye in on this one.

I am suffering modellers block at the moment for some reason. Can't get to the bench and even if I do get there the motivation doesn't seem to be there

Howard
Mecenas
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
yeah, say it to addicted guy...it's stronger than my free will
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice start - the cockpit is looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing the decals go on...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!

The build works out great so far .. fuselage is closed, started the wings assembly .. hope i did not forget too much stuff (already had to force in the supercharger "plate") .. pix will follow tomorrow. I also will have a slight trouble getting the engine in but I knew that before I glued the cowl flaps ... (it must not get too easy )

the decals give me a slight headache too .. strange instructions for the art work .. but I'll think about that next week..

all the best

Steffen
P.S. Howard ... pic any Tamiya kit and build it OOB .. maybe try one of their 48 scale military kits (don't forget: OOB!!)
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC
Good luck with this block-fixer: sounds like it is working!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's pics.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the decals give me a slight headache too ..

Steffen my friend.........THOSE decals should give you something other than a headache.

BTW, this one you should enter in the P-47 campaign.

Hermon
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thanks Ben and Hermon

is there a P-47 campaign? ...

Well here are some photos of the present state. I could not take good photos yesterday and so I have not much to report as everything is closed up now.... (it is very foggy today so the pictures are also quite dark .... repectively had to be reworked).

I think this kit deserves its fame as one of the best engineered kits ever (the Bubbletop D is worse because of the spine assembly).

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Just came across your build thread Steffen . And as always excellent painting in the pit !
I've never build a jug before so I'll be watching this one .
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Terri

Well, I do not like painting pits and I am not good at it .. but as not much is seen of that it is o.k. thanks for your kind word anyway! BTW the belts are eduard prepainted PE. I do not care if they are the correct style or colour .. it is just necessary for me to see something inside.

I just found something I do not like on this model .. hard to believe but here it is

4 (FOUR) ejector pins on each u/c leg .. Well I guess they did not get it out of the tool with less ... I used a bit of streched sprue and cut some slices off it. Glued these in with Tamiya Extra thin so I hope that this will act tomorrow as if it was solid plastic when I sand it to shape.

Everything else went flawless (so far) closed the rear super charger doors as i do not want to fuss with the decals. Also the MG covers just dropped into place .. a really enjoyable build so far. Furthermore I grinded the cowl flapsfrom the inside so the engine will fit without problems.

all the best

Steffen
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is there a P-47 campaign? ...

There sure is. It's called Cave Tonitrum and it's been running all year over on P-47 Heaven

Anyway these Tamiya P-47 kits are a dream to build and you making light work of as usual Steffen.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Allen

Thanks for the campaign hint! I thought he meant the 8th AF campaign ...

Quoted Text

Anyway these Tamiya P-47 kits are a dream to build and you making light work of as usual Steffen.

How shall I understand this? Can i make easy work look easy ... what an achievement

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi all

today I attached teh Griffon Flaps. the Tamiya actuators just needed a little adjustment to fit and everything looks quite good. I needed a bit of filler at the belly, becaus i removed the sprue attachment points before joining the fuselage halfs thus producing a small bevelled edge that had to be filled. I also worked a bit on the engine. No fancy stuff but just paint I will not add ignitione wires .. I do not think the effect is worth the effort on this aoob project...

comments and questions welcome

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
What a lame day on Aroscale

Anyway, I did progress a bit on my Thunderbolt .. at the moment it looks a bit like a scrap yard queen, but that will hopefully change soon

all the best

Steffen
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Wow, I'd never have thought of pre-shading with different colours to get variation in the panels- an excellent idea!

Even if Aeroscale is quiet today, at least you're progressing with your model pretty quickly- I'm stuck fiddling with damn tiny PE bits for hours.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Ben

That is not my idea! I found it in Jakub Vilingr's Il-10 (Avia B-33) build thread on modelforum cz .. I posted two if the pix recently in Hermann's Spit V thread ...

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28989

i extracted the pix for my own use (see here)

Now I just hope that I can spray the OD layer thin enough to give the preshading a chance ... that's why I do not like Pre shading but as this model is pretty easy I thought I would give it a chance for such a boring OD/NG sheme (NG is already on without any preshading .. just to cover the lower side)

all the best

Steffen

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Interesting technique. I'm looking forward to see how it will turn out...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 10:01 PM UTC
hi all

just done with the OD. I used tamiya XF62 with a good portion of Klear. Soooo here you can see how it turned out. It is barely visible (though I tried to keep pretty much of it because of the following Klear, wash and flat layers) not sure anything of it will be seen when the model is done, but for the moment i like it. The effect might be a bit overexposed in the 2nd picture.

all the best

Steffen
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi steffen,

Looking great. That is a most interesting technique you found and is very well executed by yourself. I think I may have to give it a go too! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,

Jim.
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:05 PM UTC
A few years ago there was a couple of pictures and captions of how a modeler had used gloss white enamel under Alclad chrome and it changed the final result. Right now I'm in the process of trying that on a little Maruader.

I don't subscribe to preshading process but I may try this different panel color process one day for the fun of it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Jim and Joe

many thanks for your input!

I am also not a big fan of preshading (does not fit my normal routine) but as this is an easy project I wanted to try Kubrt's technique. (the result is not visible on the next pic due to the gloss, but it is still there...)

I started to apply some markings. I should begin with the stencils, but I mostly put on the larger stuff first so I can see a fast result of tedious work. Cutting Edge (Pyn up) goofed on the national insignia. the picture they provide clearly shows no wing bomb rack, but they just "copyed" the Tamiya insignia for a plane with these .. this means the split one of the bars on each of the two large underwing stars and bars .. the bad thing is I need the red bordered type, which is not included in the kit. i do not have many Allied decals sets .. and chances are high I do not have thes large red border stuff..... we'll see. here is the progress so far. Tail stripes are Tamiya decals, the white nose is airbrushed ... I'm not looking forward to all the stencils (some hundred)

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC
I was curious about the result of the pre-shading in these colours, especially that redish, but it turned out really good. Good job!

I see that Tamiya Jug is a good model for "relaxing modeling". Have you ever build Hasegawa Jug? I wonder about the comparison of these two Thuds...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Nice effect Steffen , will have to try this out on the Typhoon I'm planning on starting here soon .
 _GOTOTOP