_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009 - 10 SE 5a Mark K
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
The WNW SE 5a arrived on Friday. I had to go to the Post Office to pick it up, happily they have a bell for after hours pick ups. I am presently working on the Roden 1/32nd Albatros DIII OAW. When finished with it, I will begin the SE 5a.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC
Looking forward to start on this subject Mark !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
Good to hear it arrived with no major problems. It is a great looking kit. I have ordered the Eduard set for it, and will be making a start on mine soon. I actually have already started painting the wood on it so it will have some drying time. How are you going to do yours?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

I am basically an OOB Builder and due to the lack of available markings and the plethora of markings provided in the kit, I am going to go with the "K" scheme. I see that Keith is doing it as well, and I have been following his build. I am going to try his method of shading as it is quite convincing. I also got a couple of the Microsculpt fabric decals which I will use as well. The references in the instruction booklet are good enough for me, especially with photo's of the restoration and the comparisons with the original ones that are shown in the instructions.
I am finishing a Roden 1/32nd Albatros D-III (OAW) in the box art scheme, as you did, and I have followed your build for pointers etc.
I will be posting photo's as I go along, probably a repeat of what Keith is doing. I have never done anything like this (GB) and am looking forward to it.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
Mark, I agree with you, Keith did a fantastic job with the shading. I would love to do that and then put the texture decals over it. I also think we all would like to see some pics of the Albatros you are building. Don't forget, these English guys use flat wires.

I love the Roden Albatros kits. They are fantastic. And since I got such good results from my new wood technique, I couldn't wait to do another wood fuselage. So far, I have the inside oiled up and drying.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hi Carl and Happy Thanksgiving:

The flat wires is the stumbling block. Where does one find flat wires? I have the EZ Line and it looks flat, I may just go with that, but as I haven't started yet, I want to ensure no stone unturned.
: When I get back to the house I will take a pic of the Albatros. It basically looks like yours, and I too encountered the same spacing problem and just went with the existing Tamiya 3/8 tape and the upper wing turned out just like yours. I did cut a stencil so as to prevent the red bleeding through.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

You can find the flat wires and end connectors here.
http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=34d16dfddf033bf06f7900171ab8038f

I just ordered some. I have not tried them yet, but others swear they are great.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Greetings fellow WNW GB ers: I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving; not much to report save, I broke sprue on the WNW SE5.a. I didn't get much done, just the sub assemblies on the motor. The moldings are quite crisp and detailed. I also got two sheets of the microsculpt fabric texture decals that I will employ on the CDL finishes.
I am finishing up the Roden 1/32nd Albatros DIII (OAW) in the candy striped scheme. What a bugger. It looks like a simple scheme, but quite difficult in executing the masking. I will post some pics tomorrow (12.01.09)
Carl: I will scope out that website for those flat wires. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
Keep those cards and letters coming folks and we'll be talkin to ya.
Cheers

Off topic I know, but here it is, mostly done save for the rigging. Now to the SE5.a
Removed by original poster on 12/01/09 - 14:04:19 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/01/09 - 14:08:37 (GMT).
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Greetings all: okay, I just posted a comment on Terri's submission on the same subject. I won't be doing much right now, I want to hone my skills on something else before I plunge into this. I am leaning towards the Pheon Models sheet of the Night fighter with the checkered pattern. I also am going to secure some reference material, even though the kit instructions supply lots of photo's, some reference is good to have, and right now I have none; I am thinking of the Squadron in action to start, and possibly an Osprey book on the subject.
I have started the engine and will probably continue on with the interior. I plan on not displaying the engine so I won't go to a lot of work on it, good paint, sand the seams and call it good. RB flat wires were ordered and I may pop for the Eduard PE set for it, if it exists.
Cheers
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Alright: I have started work on the WNW SE5. I am having difficulty loading photos here. Even when following the directions, it doesn't seem to work. So; Here is my reference, it is the Kagero S.E. 5a. in polish and English. The text is interesting, the photo's are alright, mostly a little hazy, the drawings are great. Let's see if I can get this uploaded.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC

Okay, I can't figure out how to download the bloody pictures. So, you will have to take my word for it. I have the engine mostly finished, save for the PE. As I am going to have the cowling buttoned up, I am debating the use of the PE, but I will go ahead with it just to hone my skills on PE. I have painted the undersides of the wings, elevators and ailerons Testors MM Wood, and will do pre-shading to achieve the in depth linen look that Keith seems to have mastered. I have the Kagero SE5-a. for reference. I was at the Hobby shop the other day and saw the Squadron in action book, but most of the photos were so bad as to be useless, and the profile views were nothing that I am planning on doing, so I didn't get it. I am waiting for the deckles from Pheon models for the night fighter with the neat checks as that is what I am going to do it in. The instructions seem to have much better photo's and reference than the books I am using. Says a lot about WNW that their instructions provide the modeler with enough reference photo's to procede without buying a ton of books that may or may not be useful. IMHO

I will continue to try to download photo's. If anyone can offer assistance I would appreciate it. Contact me off line.

L8R
Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
Removed by original poster on 12/19/09 - 20:58:13 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/11/10 - 21:06:22 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/21/09 - 19:14:43 (GMT).
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Mark.

To get the images linked from the gallery at Kitmaker, go to your gallery page:
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/329117

Find the photo you want to post (click on it's thumbnail to make it the big one at the bottom).

Right-click on the image, and select "copy image location" (in Firefox) or copy image URL, or similar.

If there is no option like this, select 'view image' or 'open image in new window', or similar, then copy the address from that window, that should now only contain the image with nothing else.

Then when you are posting, type:
IMG inside square brackets
then paste the URL of the full size image, e.g.: http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/25115/SE5_Engine.JPG
and /IMG inside square brackets at the end.

and you'll get:
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
Made some progress on the SE5 this weekend. I am giving up P.E. I think another poster aluded to the tightness of the fit of the WNW kits. I had a hell of a time with this thing, and it isn't fun. I will post pictures as I get further along and will determine how much more of the PE I will be using. My girlfriend got me the LVG for Christmas! What a lady!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Made some progress on the SE5 this weekend. I am giving up P.E. I think another poster aluded to the tightness of the fit of the WNW kits. I had a hell of a time with this thing, and it isn't fun. I will post pictures as I get further along and will determine how much more of the PE I will be using. My girlfriend got me the LVG for Christmas! What a lady!

I ordered another SE5a. from WNW. This build is not fun, nothing fits since I added the PE. I am going to salvage what I can and start over. Hopefully it will go better than this.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing more, Mark!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
This is on hold until I get the new one from WNW. I almost tossed in the trash, but the next day, as I was looking at it, I thought it could be salvaged; but I am not touching it until I do the new one.
In the mean time........I am watching what others are doing and paying attention.

With the great upper midwest firmly in the grips of winter, lots of modeling to do.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This build is not fun, nothing fits since I added the PE. I am going to salvage what I can and start over. Hopefully it will go better than this.

Mark, I have had some fit issues with the kit, including the engine and the cockpit covers. I don't know if others have as well.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Bill: The cockpit and engine covers are the areas of frustration for me as well. They didn't go on properly, I had to squeeze and coax, it just looked bad when I was done and thought enough! My girlfriend got me the LVG, maybe I will have a go with that, and see how it goes. I gotta tell ya, I am really leary of starting another one.
 _GOTOTOP