_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two Seater Campaign F.2b - Edo
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi all!
this is my entry buid for the campaign!

The build will start soon, and pics will follow!

ciao
Edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:21 AM UTC
Looking forward to your build on this one Edo !
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:49 PM UTC
Thank you Terri, this group build will be fun!

As far as my F2B is concerned, I'm still studying the sprues and doing a little preparatory work (ribs masking on the wings and seat rebuilding, I'll post some pictures soon but I'm in the process of switchin' camera and still on the steep side of the learnig curve on that...).

I do have a couple of question for you folks though:
1- I like very much the "extended" exhaust pipes, but they are marked as "not for use" on the instruction, my I nevertheless use them? Do I have to make some correction to the rest of the model if I'd use those?
2- The same goes for the tail aerlions: there are 2 types and one is marked as "not for use". Do I have to use those coupled with the extende exhaust?

P.S. You might ask why I do not check my ref... well the answer is easy: ref books are pricey (at least here in Italy) and I prefer to spend my money on models, second it is much more fun to talk to you and learn from your experience than to flip throug the pages of a book on my own... so thank you again for your help and for the chat!!

Ciao
Edo
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
I think the pipes may be used with different decal schemes. So you might want to check out pictures available on-line and see if you can find one with long pipes that you like.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
I don't have a lot of info on this aircraft Edo so I will do the best I can to help you .

Carl is correct , go online and see what schemes you like with the long pipe . There was a few different engines used in the Bristol . There was the Liberty , falcon and a few other ones .
The tail section , the longer ones are for the nightfighter version . I could be off on some of this . Really haven't read to much on this aircraft type yet .

It really depends on what scheme you want to do and how accurate you want to be . Some one here will be able to give you a better anwser .
This post was removed.
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi all!
still no pics (but I started building and during the weekend I'll manage to take some).
I have a question for you nice folks, though.

I've seen in many photos that the interplane sturts' tips are often bandaged (sort of...). What's that?

Thank you all

ciao
Edo
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC
My favorite
I´ll be watching you´r build my friend

Regards

Larsa Q
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi guys!
a little update.

First I started with masking all the ribs on wings and aerlions, the preshade will go on next.

Then I turned to the cockpit: I decided to mask it in order to airbrush the base for the wood grain. It has been a real pain, but I hope it will reward me later on

I also started some other minor works:
I drilled out the end of the exhaust

and started to paint some wood grain. I still don't master the technique at all, and I'm still trying to find a method that suits me fine and also gives good results. This time for the base coat I mixed some yellow with medium brown and a fiew drops of red, than I spried it in a random pattern.
The wood grain itself was done with raw umber oil which was applied in a sort of drybrushing with an old toothbrush. I find the result on the cockpit floor quite nice. What do you think?

For the smaller surfaces I applied the wood grain with a sponge (which I used also before). Here is a detail of the propeller

[
Enough for now...
All the best

ciao
Edo
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Very nice
Keep going

And for the records: I have not stopped my Bristol, It's moving along slowly

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Edo , you have a good job with masking the ribbing , turned out better on this project then the last one . You are a fast learner ! The floor looks nice as well and love the prop !

I don't think I would have done all that masking in the cockpit though . For me the framing would have been painted free hand . I look forward to seeing your results on this .

As for mastering wood grain effects we are always trying new ways and methods to achive this , nothing wrong with yours so far .
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Nick!
I saw your build (I was wondering in fact where have you been since it is some time I don't see any update...): you are doing a very good job and also your perseverance in front of difficulties is to your merit! You did wonders in manding the decals!

Terri!
Thank you very much! I too think that the masking is better now... previously I was using 3M masking tape, but when I tourned to Tamyia it all went so much better...

ciao
Edo
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi Edo:

The wood grain on the floor looks convincing; good job on it. The image of the propeller was removed for some reason. It looks good so far.

edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 08:12 PM UTC
Thank you Mark!
The prop is up again (I hope it will stay so )
ciao
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 02:37 AM UTC
Edo,
Your wood graining certainly looks very good my friend.The masking of the wing must have been a pain,but will add a lot ot the over all finish.Keep up your excellent work and keep us all posted as to your progress.
Regards and Ciao,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Okay, finally got a visual on your prop. What did you use for the metal leading edge? It really looks neat!
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Mark!
Thank you... I masked the prop and hand painted gold enamel on it. I think it turned out a little too shiny and goldy... I'll need to turn it down a bit...

In the last fiew nights I worked on the inside and the cockpit (I'll post some pics soon).
I drilled out the dashboard and, since it is very thick, I sanded the back before gluing a strip of stirene with the instrument decals on it.
What I wanted todo next is to reproduce the glass in front of the instrument and I was thinking of filling the hole on the dashboard with Tamyia clear acrilic paint (there's no Clear - Future in Italy )
Do you think it is a good idea? How it is best to do it? A big drop in the hole or multiple application in thin layers?

Thank you

Edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark!
Thank you... I masked the prop and hand painted gold enamel on it. I think it turned out a little too shiny and goldy... I'll need to turn it down a bit...

In the last fiew nights I worked on the inside and the cockpit (I'll post some pics soon).
I drilled out the dashboard and, since it is very thick, I sanded the back before gluing a strip of stirene with the instrument decals on it.
What I wanted todo next is to reproduce the glass in front of the instrument and I was thinking of filling the hole on the dashboard with Tamyia clear acrilic paint (there's no Clear - Future in Italy )

Hello Edo ! I'm really looking forward to your progress pic's . For the glass you have a few options which you can go by . Clear gloss ( varish ) works very well built up in small layers or even Tamiya clear acrylic works well to . If you can find this where you are it's a product called kristel clear by microscale for making small windows and glass faces for instruments . Even clear nail polish will work as well , which dries fast and it's shiney ! ( also works well for gluing small PE parts )
Do you think it is a good idea? How it is best to do it? A big drop in the hole or multiple application in thin layers?

Thank you

Edo

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Edo: I concur with Terri's assessment and recommendations, Testors makes a white glue for gluing canopies, it is similar to Elmers White Glue: It dries clear and fills the voids real nice. It is real close to the Crystal Clear that Terri wrote about.

I still like the prop, too goldy notwithstanding.
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hallo Terri and Mark!
Thank you for your tips and support!
I'll try to find the Testors product you say, it shouldn't be to hard to find, and in the meanwhile I'll rumble in my wife's drawer (blamin' it to the kids! )

I have some pics for you too!
The first series refers to the dashboard. Unfortunately the pics turned out not very well as the clear vernish kinds of sparks with the flash... Of course there is still no cover for the dials...

Then I took a fiew pics of the sturds:

the reinforcing is of Tamya tape and it is still unpainted... I cannot resolve from painting it white or yellow... what do you sudjest?

Next are some pics of the preshade on the lower wing

The job of Lars had a big role on this as you can see!

I also predrilled the holes for the turnbuckles, and following are some pics of them. This time my tribute goes to Wombat
The pipe is Lionroar 0,6mm cut about 2mm long. The loophole is made out of copper wire of about 0,2 mm.

Enough for now!
Have a good weekend!

Ciao
Edo
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Edo
U done a nice job with the preshadings,sweet,This build coming up nicley.I´ll keep watching u.

Larsa
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thank you Larsa!
I like the effect of the preshade too, but after airbrushing a coat of CDL I am not sure of how it turned out... maybe it is due to bad light last night in the basement where I work, and in the sunlight it will be ok, but I am not completely satisfied.
What do you think?

I also have a fiew pics of my progresses so far...
I worked on the seat, but first incouraging starts ...

where followed by not so good results, in fact the X design of the suporting bars caused the monofilament to slide and I could not make a tight pattern. So I settled for a more 'conventional' design...

I also added some detail to the dashboard: have I overreached...

I started also adding .... well don't know the name also in Italian... so better show you a pic

I painted the engine (but very little will be visible when completed)...

...and build the cockpit floor...

...ready to be glued to the sidewalls

Enough for now...

Ciao Ciao

Edo
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Edo. Your build here is coming together very nicely. The time and care you have taken is paying off now.

Keep it up. Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
Very nice so far Edo

The word is turnbuckle
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
Edo,
Wow this bird is really taking shape.Great looking interior details too.Keep up your excellent progress.By the way your preshading came out really sweet.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
 _GOTOTOP