_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A study of weathering, based on TVAL aircraft
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:30 PM UTC
Most period photos don't provide good references for modellers trying to replicate weathering effects. Given that The Vintage Aviator's aircraft are 'working' aircraft I thought they might provide useful studies on how exhaust stains and mud splashes look. Here are a few photos:

Despite being relatively new the FE2b is showing significant exhaust staining around the tailplane

. . . and of course around the exhaust itself - check out the asbestos wrapping around the centre section strut

The SE5as are showing mud splashes from the wheels under the lower wing and under the tailplane:

More to come
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:43 PM UTC
The BE2c (early) is very new and already is showing signs of exhaust staining on the tailplane and tailskid support strut. Imagine what this would be like after a year!

The Albatros is another relatively new aircraft and under the fuselage there are already stains in the plywood, I presume from oil or fuel spillage or leaks

Rotary engines are notorious for exhaust stains. Easy to clean metal areas but not so easy to clean fabric. Here are some photos from underneath the Sopwith Camel which has a 160hp Monosoupape engine. The best way of describing how these stains looked under the lower wing was like the translucent effect you get brushing turpentine onto paper. The dark thread-like marks are very odd, cracks in the dope which have accumulated burned castor oil?

It was hard to get further back for this one - I was lying on my back under the mid fuselage.

This photo is from underneath the middle of the Bristol F2B's lower wing:

his photo is the under surface of the centre section of the top wing:
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:54 PM UTC
The fabric under the fuselage of the Bristol F2B below the fuel tank was thick with an oily residue, presumably from oil or fuel spills:

Even the PC10 on the fuselage sides and top are showing an interesting variation in finish after a reasonable bit of usage:

The Fokker DVII is a replica that doesn’t use an original engine nor original construction so I am less confident about the authenticity of the weathering in this photo, but for what its worth here it is:

edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi James!
very useful staff!

The only problem I that I am getting addicted to your posts...

ciao
Edo
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
You pointed out some spots that we really don't give much attention to.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James!
very useful staff!

The only problem I that I am getting addicted to your posts...

ciao
Edo

I agree. This is excellent information we cannot get elsewhere. Thanks for the postings!

Mark
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC
hi james,

you ought to post these pictures over on the aerodrome forum,i'm sure they will create ALOT of debate on weathering,colours and overall conditions of aircraft during the war.

do you have any idea of the hours that these airfcraft have flown?

cheers paul
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hello James,

Thank you for posting these – very interesting to see. I agree with Paul. It puts a somewhat new perspective to the "accurate" paintjob and "shades of this or that" colour discussions. Colourpigments do take a lot of punishment when in use out in the open and exposed to dirt and pollution, as your pictures show

I also guess the Vinatge planes get quite a lot of TLC, if you compare with what it must have been like in reality... How they must have looked after two months of constant use.

Best Regards
Mikael
agiosdimitrios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 08:37 AM UTC
THANK YOU very much James.
Those photos are extremely usefull to any modeller trying to build a realistic model.
Thanks again and i wish if it is posible, for more of that tresure pictures.

Dimitris.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
I have to agree with all above. Once again thank you for some very useful and informative posts.

I know castor oil is a very dirty sticky mess creating lubricant (I used it instead of 2 stroke oil for years in a tuned Lambretta, smells wonderful when it burns too ...) and there is talk is some reference books of mechanics scraping it's residue from the A/C with scrapers.

Of course there will be big debates but these pics give an essential insight to how stains splashes and dirt spread, I noticed the spread of grease from hinges in some shots..all little details that bring models to life

Thankee kind sir

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
Beautiful images, but remember that these are repicas and certain points should be noted.

On the Fokker D.VII replica the axle wings were painted not covered in lozenge. Also the landing gear rigging lines are doubled on the replica they were a single pair on the 1918 production airframes.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:38 PM UTC
James,
My friend you done it again.Excellent information and an outstanding study of how actual weathering appears on actual aircraft. No doubt all of us will benefit from your generosity. To you a BIG Thanks!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 04:16 PM UTC
This is such a good thread I wanted to bring it back up. Thanks to James Fahey. It has a great visual value.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is such a good thread I wanted to bring it back up. Thanks to James Fahey. It has a great visual value.

Stephen,
Thanks for bringing it back up. I missed this originally as it was posted just before I joined this great little group; it's great stuff! The timing on the SE5a photos couldn't be better for my purposes.
Cheers,
Lance
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 09:11 PM UTC
May I add my thanks? The big question is how to replicate these effects. The see-through caused by the oil - perhaps if we replaced part of the plastic skin with tissue paper .. ?
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Good record of some well used aircraft. I can vouch for any aircraft operating from grass in winter will get several kilos of mud under the fuselage, tail and wings, and mixed with oil stains it is very resistant to cleaning. Colour fading is common even with modern paints, particularly cockades, and it is not uncommon on service aircraft to have wings with different size and colour marking on each side, where a wing has been changed
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:42 AM UTC
James (Jamo_Kiwi)
I credited your wonderful pics to someone else in my Blog (KoTS II SE5a)last week; just want to apologise and let you know I've corrected it by way of a quick edit.......credit where credit's due! And thanks for sharing them, just wonderful quality and great reference material.
Cheers,
Lance
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
No worries Lance. Thanks for fixing it up. More photos coming soon, this time TVAL's third Albatros DVa with its engine panels off which allowed me to photograph all the piping, oil and water feeds etc.

Cheers
James
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun from their website and the rememberance day activities. The aircraft close ups are beautiful.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 07:48 PM UTC
That Snipe is just fantastic!  – Thanks for the link Stephen

Mikael
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Mikael. You might enjoy some more photos of the Snipe that I took before it was exported to Kermit Weeks' collection:

This one was interesting and particularly relevant to this thread:

There are 70 photos in all, so these are just a very small selection. Have a look here:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/TVAL%20Sopwith%20Snipe/?start=all
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Most impressive.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
James,
Absolutely stunning and most appreciated. Now, come on Wingnut Wings with your Snipe release!
Cheers,
Lance
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 12:41 AM UTC
One cautionary note on all of this is that modern fabric and paint wear differently than old linen fabric and paint .Our 29 Travelair was covered with ceconite(?)and 35 coats of wet sanded and polished ,hand rubbed dope and I never saw any fabric damage like this.Of course dad and I would spend an hour or so after every flight wiping all the crud off.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:13 AM UTC
James – Thank You so very much for posting these pics – what a brilliant plane – the devil on the gun is such a nice touch. I can only echo what Lance said  – please pretty please WNW

Mikael

_GOTOTOP