_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1:48 Trumpeter SU-24 Build up/review
markske
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Looks great i love the paint work.
Impresive work i think i go to buy one.

Mark
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
Howdy all. Just got back from a week end trip into the woods for a Wilderness Survival class. Had lots of fun, but I'm ready to get back at the Fencer. Will get some more pics posted soon. Thanks for watching. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:58 PM UTC
I used my free time tonight to unwind from a hectic weekend. I installed the starboard side decals on the plane, along with the bottom ones. Flaps and slats installed, and and the missiles have been clean up. Need to go back in and do a little touch up painting here and there, then install all the remaining fiddly bits. I'm hoping to have her done in the next day or so. Thanks for watching. "Q"

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
Looking great Q, this has been a fantastic thread to follow.

Cheers, D
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thanks Damian. Glad you have enjoyed it. Updates might get a bit sporadic over the next few days as I go into the last of my finals for school. I am soooo glad to almost be done. Thanks again for the kudos and thanks for watching. "Q"
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 01:21 PM UTC
Ditto what everyone else has said Matthew. The bird is looking outstanding in every aspect. The cockpit work you did a few weeks ago blew me away but seeing everything come together is a real treat. I know this thread is about the kit but could you maybe throw in a sentence or two about how you did the post shading? Tamiya smoke or pastels? Looks absolutely awsome!

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Hermon. For post shading I normally use flat black, but in this case I used Model Master intermediate blue and lacquer thinner at a ratio of about 9:1... It is more like tinted thinner than thinned paint when I shoot. I make repeated passes over the area I am working on and just gradually build up the color. If I get it a little heavier in one area, I can go back over it with the base color to tone it back down. Just takes a lot of patience and practice. I haven't gotten the feel for pre-shading, so I go with what I know. Here is where it sits tonight. Weapons loaded, and just a few fiddly bits along with the clear parts remain. Should be complete here shortly. Thanks for following along. "Q"

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hermon, once I get this beast complete, I'll put up a short SBS on how I do my post-shading. After re-reading my above post I realized I left some stuff out. Sorry if I lost anybody... More to follow soon. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:32 PM UTC
To quote my favorite Monty Python movie.."And there was much rejoicing...yayyyy". Ye' beast be complete! I just put the final pieces on a few minutes ago, those being the canopies. Final tally, carpet monster 4... , dumb ass mistakes-2, level of dificulty...above average, but it's complete. I need to clear off some space to set my photo booth up. It's just too big for the bench top to get good pics. Here is one though to whet your appetite for the completed kit. Thanks for following along on my, at times harrowing, journey. Full review and feature to follow soon.
Thanks again, "Q"
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC
Very nice finish Q I look forward to reading the post shading answer.

Build On,
Justin
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
Wow, that's really big ( ) & GREAT

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos guys, much appreciated. I shot some better pics of the beast today. I need to start getting the article put together from all my notes. Thanks again for the kind words. "Q"

This last one is the complex landing gear...it is even short a strut as I could not get it to install...even with it missing there is a lot going on here.. The red line indicates where the additional strut would go. I still have them, just cant get them in there.....arrgh.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Matt

It turned out really nice!!! do not worry about the part. Either try to get them in or just throw them away ... when it stands on it's wheels nobody will ever know

I'll try to get decals for an algerian or Syrian machine ... I find that "desert/land camo" more interesting...

all the best

Steffen
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Super build review man! One of the best I've followed in a long time, and what a great finished model! Congrats on a super job.

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 11:09 AM UTC
Just in case anybody has been wonering where the write up is....I'm still doing it. I want to make sure I cover all the bases as it were. I should have it complete and submitted this week. Thanks for the kudos Hermon, Steffen, and Nick.... much appreciated. Yes it is a big kit. It is almost the same size as a friends 1/32 A-10... I'm not kidding either. Thanks, "Q"
markske
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Very nice i think i will buy one now.
Thanks for the repoort.

Mark
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY