_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore 1:32 Albatros D.II
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
Greetings WWI aviation buffs.
I started this kit about a month ago. It is the Roden DI marketed by Squadron Signal with Aeromaster Decals to do Boelcke's DII or RIchtoffens DI. I elected to do Boelcke's DII. There is photo etch by Eduard, a resin cast engine and figure of Boelcke. I used the resin engine as is. I am not fond of PE as it is too fiddly for me, but I did use some on the interior switches and some panel on the wings that didn't require surgeon like skill to apply.

Here are the componentes painted using Tamiya Wood, raw umber oils, and some Tamiya clear orange.

The interior of the fuselage

The kit supplied struts for the DI are a little too long for the DII, here is a comparison shot of the differences. I imagine that if one were so inclined one could shorten the struts accordingly.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
Greetings, more stuff here:
Here are the decals that come with this kit.

The instructions aren't real clear in some of the construtions areas. Having built the Roden Albatros DIII, OAW I knew there were areas that were skipped or overlooked. If you have this kit, ensure you test fit and check the instructions closely for fitment. The paint diagrams could have been better, so ensure you check your references.
The Boelcke Figure:

I am not much of a figure painter but I will give him a try.
The right side of the engine in the fuselage. I hadn't planned on doing a build blog, but after a few comments I thought why not? So here are some more pictures.

The port side of the engine.

I used the resin cast engine. As the engine compartment is quite tight and you can't see much of the engine once buttoned up, vice the LVG, I decided to just paint the molded in spark leads, and call it good. I am happy with the overall effect.
The Cocpit

Eduard does a good job on the PE, the instructions were a little vague on the placement of the harness attachment points to the frame, following the instructions, I had to cut the middle cross over piece. If I did this again I would attach them differently, more close together.

For those who have built the Roden DIII, this is a different fuslage than the DIII.
The Upper WIng painted.

I used Tamiya XF9 Hull Red, XF-67 Nato Green and a mixture of Testors Model Master Russian Topside Green and Ghost Grey for the light green. For the undersurfaces I used Testors Modelmaster #2123 Underside Blue. I am not sure If I want to counter shade the underside or not at this point.
The fuselage with the lower wings painted.

That is about it for now. I really want to get this built, as the weather is getting nice here in the Western Wisconsin Area, and the motorcycle and other outdoor activities are beginning to beckon.
Thanks for looking, and keep those cards and letters coming folks.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC
looking pretty good so far.

One thing I wish Encore had done was make a smaller spinner, it should have a gap between it and the cowling.....I remember on both the DI and DIII OAW having to severely reshape the spiner.

gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Mark,
You're off to a great start my friend.I'm looking forward to following this thread as the build progresses.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
Thanks Keith and Gregory: I know what you mean Keith. If I am thinking what you're thinking there should be a gap around the circumference of the cowling for air circulation.
It has been a fun build. I am going to use the Aeromaster Wood grain designed for these Roden kits. See how it turns out. More photo's tomorrow.

Best

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC

Very nice work, Mark. I was hoping to see someone build one of these. It is in good hands.

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Great to see you post on this build  – and looking really good too! You seem to be making really quick progress. I especially like your wood painting.

Keep it coming

Best Regards

Mikael
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi Mark!
very interesting build! I'll follow you closely!
ciao
Edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:56 AM UTC
i'm with the the rest of the guy's , it's great to see you posting your progress which you are off to a super start . Looking forward to the next up-date !
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
On the fuselage, I think it is the same as the DIII as I used a spare DIII fuselage side when I accidentally warped my DI trying to accelerate the oils drying with a lamp....Your other was the DIII (OAW) I believe which is different yes. Still wonderful work though and so fast compared to me

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
Glad to see the D.II make an appearance.

Your build is progressing nicely. It is good to know your cat is sharing his food can also. Probably feeling guilty about the hair thing.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:52 AM UTC
Okay folks:

A little progress last night. I have the fuselage painted, and rather than use oils for wood, I am going to use the Aero Master Wood Grain sheet specifically designed for the Roden Albatros DI-DIII Series in 1/32nd Scale available from Squadron.
I think the wood grain is a little overwhelming, but maybe the overall effect will be different. I used Testors MM Wood as the base, and realized afterwards that it doesn't hold up well with oils, so I went with the decals. So far I am pleased with the results. As an 'experiment' I painted Tamiya Clear Yellow on the tail skid mount to see how that effect would look.

Here is the wood decal sheet

A closer view of the decals in the forward port section

The tail and the underside with the P.E. landing gear support

I am going to try to simulate the Bungee Cord suspension on this model and am going to use the Artisina Latina "Rope". I used this stuff when I was building sailing ship models. It looks like rope and hopefully will have the desired effect for bungees.

That is it for this go around. Thanks for looking.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Over all the wood decals don't look that bad at all and once the clear yellow is in place really adds to that effect . To get that warm honey shade for the fuselage mix a little Tamiya smoke in the clear yellow and build this up in layers until you are happy with the effect you are looking for . Looking forward to more progress Mark . Keep up the excellent work
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to see the D.II make an appearance.

Your build is progressing nicely. It is good to know your cat is sharing his food can also. Probably feeling guilty about the hair thing.

I gave it back to him as he felt he was being exploited.
I am enjoying this build. The fit is pretty decent, the tolerances aren't as close as a WNW kit, a little lacking in detail, but otherwise a good kit. It is progressing smoothly.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Excellent progress – like the effect with the wood decals, you'll finish this one soon if you keep this pace up

Best Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Terri: I will give it a shot. I am still in the experimental stage for the different finishes.

Thanks Mikael. More work on it tonight. The ever popular and cursed Stillwater bridge is open again, so I can go home. I hope to post more pictures tonight or tomorrow (4/29) morning.

Best
Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
I saw something on the news about the bridge a few weeks ago. Hope this one doesn't go for a swim.

I see the fuselage decals on evilbay all the time. I have given some thought to getting a set. My problem is what happens if I ruin one? They seem to look pretty good so far. But they have way too much shine. (Easy fix.) You can also add a little clear orange to the clear yellow for more of a honey color, about 1:4. I use that combo for my wood varnish.

Have you considered the Eduard PE set for the D.III? There are a lot of good parts on that sprue that can be used for the whole Albatros series. I just ordered two more.

I know I said this before, but you have a real nice build going on here Mark. Where will this one be displayed?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:57 AM UTC
[quote]I saw something on the news about the bridge a few weeks ago. Hope this one doesn't go for a swim.[quote]

No, they repaved the approaches from Minnesota and Wisconsin. The Sierra Club is keeping a new bridge from being built for about the 100th time.

[quote]I see the fuselage decals on evilbay all the time. I have given some thought to getting a set. My problem is what happens if I ruin one?[quote] If you ruin one, you could always try to use the oil method. The are Cartograph so pretty tough.
Quoted Text

They seem to look pretty good so far. But they have way too much shine. (Easy fix.) You can also add a little clear orange to the clear yellow for more of a honey color, about 1:4. I use that combo for my wood varnish.

Have you considered the Eduard PE set for the D.III? There are a lot of good parts on that sprue that can be used for the whole Albatros series. I just ordered two more.

I know I said this before, but you have a real nice build going on here Mark. Where will this one be displayed?

They are shiny, and I am not sure I would use these again. I like the SPADA wood decals from Mister Kit U.S.A. better, the grain is a little more subtle. I am not a big fan of P.E. The encore kit comes with the Eduard P.E. and I am using some of it, but for the most part it is S.O.B. I just don't have the dexterity any more to deal with it. I did and will be using some of the panels, and inspection covers but for a lot of the real small stuff, nah! I will be giving it a coat of dull coat and try your method. I have the Tamiya clear orange and yellow, need to get some smoke per Terri's recommendation, and will give it a go. It looks to 'clinical' right now.
When finished it will go on the shelf with the rest. I will bring to the TCAH meeting in June, have to work the Harley shop in May for customer appreciation day. Free food brings in a lot of people to kick tires, ask questions and leave.
I really enjoy these Roden kits. I plan on doing the entire Albatros series, like you, I think they are a neat airplane, and I see a lot of Albatros influence in the fuselage of the BF109.
Thanks for looking and the suggestions and comments. More pics to come as progress is being made.
Take care
Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
Okay Folks, This project is still alive.
I made some progress last night and over the past few weeks. The wood decals are all on, I highlighted them with a mixture of Tamiya Clear yellow and orange mixture. I am not sure I will use the decals again, a little fussy, but overall isn't bad. I will let you folks be the judge. I tried the turnbuckle method on the Elevator controls and the landing gear. Not as difficult as I had imagined, and will continue to use the method as I progress to the rigging stage.
The painting guide and decal guide could be better on the directions, but then maybe I am spoiled by WNW instrutions.

Not a great shot but I think you can see the effort.

Here is the underside, I did use the PE access doors, I think you can see to better effect the turnbuckles on the landing gear. It is necessary to use a rigging that is strong as the gear is real spindly and the rigging stabilizes it. I did make an attempt at bungee chords using EZ Line to secure the axle to the Struts.

As you can see all the decals are in place. Again, I wish Encore had spent a little more time and effort in offereing the modler better guidance and decal placement instructions.
More to follow next week. I have to finish the riggng turnbuckle anchor placement, put on the top wing, rig and it will be shelf ready.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Greetings Mark I really enjoy the progress you are making. Very nicely done. The wood grain decals seem to go down well at least?
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi
The albie lokks real good in my eyes, had my hopes to not get this kit, but the figure is tempting I must say, will follow your build on the Albie and hoping u paint up the figure
Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I agree with Stephen . Your build is looking very fine indeed . The wood decals look great , still iffy if I will try them myself , but man they look great . Very nice job on the turnbuckles as well . It is a very easy method to pic up and addictive ! I have notice that more and more of us WW 1 buffs are using this method . Can't wait to see the top on with the rigging in place
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Stephen, Thanks for the compliments. I don't know if I would use the wood grain again. It is kind of tedious, and a very high gloss is required. I didn't have quite the gloss, so I had to score the decal and put solution to get them to 'unsilver', still; I like the overall result. I want to do a D.I in Richthofen's markings and may use them on that, but try a different approach. I do like the Roden kits.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Stephen . Your build is looking very fine indeed . The wood decals look great , still iffy if I will try them myself , but man they look great . Very nice job on the turnbuckles as well . It is a very easy method to pic up and addictive ! I have notice that more and more of us WW 1 buffs are using this method . Can't wait to see the top on with the rigging in place

Hi Terri:

Thanks for the compliments. You are correct in that the turnbuckles do get addictive. It is like you once you go there, you can't go back. I think an optivisor is going to be on my 'to buy list'. As I mentioned in the previous post, I would probably use the decals again, but mix them up with the Spada Wood Effect decals. I will use them on the D.I I plan on doing in Richtofen's scheme. Got a busy weekend with the band, but next week should see the top wing on. With the Encore kit, there are no guide holes, so one has to be careful and make measurements, hopefully mine are correct. I think it is a neat airplane and glad that Squadron put it out as the D.II.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
The albie lokks real good in my eyes, had my hopes to not get this kit, but the figure is tempting I must say, will follow your build on the Albie and hoping u paint up the figure
Larsa

Hi Larsa: Thanks for the compliment. I am not much of a figure painter, but once the kit is done, I will probably go back and give old Oswald a try.
 _GOTOTOP