_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Cyber-Hobby (Dragon) 1:48 Bf 110D
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC

Hi there

I promised to get stuck into Cyber-Hobby's quarterscale Bf 110 when it came out (reviewed HERE), but lack of space precluded it. Now, with a new work-room and enough space to keep a couple of builds on the go at once, I've taken the plunge. I've started cleaning up the cockpit parts and assembled the basic wheel-wells:

Much more to come, but it's all very promising so far; the detail and fit is just as good as the first look suggested. I'll be using LifeColor acrylics throughout the build - it'll be a nice chance to use more of their early WW2 Luftwaffe colours.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:58 PM UTC
Great start Rowan!

Though you could have drilled through the stiffeners in the wheel bay ....

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great start Rowan!

Though you could have drilled through the stiffeners in the wheel bay ....

all the best

Steffen

Hi Steffen

It's just the angle of the photos - Dragon have included the lightening holes.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 12:18 AM UTC
Thanks mate!

I thought I had seen that in Nuremberg and on J-L's kit, but somehow it looks just "impressed" on the pictures. ..Sorry for being overly critical ... again

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

The way things are advancing, one day the Internet will probably go 3-D - then such worries will be a thing of the past (and whole new lot will take their place !).

All the best

Rowan
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
looks great,I will be following your progress as I have this kit also.Let us know of any pitfalls.

thanks
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
Nice start of this beauty, looking forward to see next step.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi again

Cheers all, I'll try to have some proper progress to show later this week.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

The way things are advancing, one day the Internet will probably go 3-D

It's already the case: Eduard interactive 3D Brassin presentation

I will follow your build with great interest. I think Drago... oups, Cyber-Hobby's 1:48 scale Bf110 is one of the most underestimated kit. For me it is as good as Tamiya's 1:32 scale Spitfire!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cyber-Hobby's 1:48 scale Bf110 is one of the most underestimated kit. For me it is as good as Tamiya's 1:32 scale Spitfire!

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc

Well, I have not seen it here in Germany and also Hannants did not have it advertized yet (but maybe I missed it). As Dragons goes new ways (read distributors) with this line it is almost not available here in Europe ... except for people with certain connections. I remember that I had seen it at Lucky but it is no longer there and when I would get it from HLJ it is 50% more than an Eduard 110 (p&p and import VAT included) ... so I cannot agree with your statement...

BTW how far are you already? ... how's your Br20 comming along? and finally everything fine with Jonas and his Mama?

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Quoted Text

... so I cannot agree with your statement...

You don't have to. I only mean the quality of the kit. Not the price, the availability or anything else. Just how fantastic the potential of the kit is... and almost nobody is talking about while there is such a hype about the Spitfire!

Quoted Text

BTW how far are you already? ... how's your Br20 comming along? and finally everything fine with Jonas and his Mama?

The Br-20 still waits in it's box. I could say I wait for the Eduard aftermarket stuff to make a start, but to tell the truth I simply don't have the time to build it right now. I have scheduled it for this summer anyway.

Jonas is fine and Mama is trying hard to get him to sleep at night...

Jean-Luc

PM: still no answer from Volker.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 06:47 PM UTC
Thanks for your extensiv answer!

But it seems I could not make my point clear enough: how can there be a hype when nobody has that kit?

Rowans is the first build report I've seen, no other kit review no built up kit ... plus the fact that only "a few" people have it.

I have seen the kit in Nuremberg (and of course when you brought it to Marc ) and I agree that it looks fantastic on the sprue, but to be really "emotional" about something I have to have it ... and have put together a few parts

Hope you understand my concern better now ....

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Quoted Text

Hope you understand my concern better now ....

Yes, perfectly. What you've mentioned is of course an explanation of the fact that the kit is underestimated. Sometimes there is a hype about some kits (positive or negative) before they are even available (3D drawing pictures, test shots images, etc...). In the case of Drago... oups, Cyber-Hobby's 110 there is not such thing, despite the fact that this is clearly one of the best new kit I've seen on the market this year...

I just hope it will be easily available worldwide soon and that it will sell well so that Drago... err, Cyber-Hobby will produce other kits of the same quality.

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowans is the first build report I've seen, no other kit review no built up kit ...

Hi Steffen

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the kit had rather "dropped off the radar" since its release. I put off starting it until now and was expecting to find it had already been done to death elsewhere. I guess I'd better try to stay focused on this beauty rather than share my time between it, the Albatros and the Bf 109G-10. (I'll carry on throwing grey paint at the Global Hawk, of course! )

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

as pointed out above IMO it is Dragons fault not to use the old distribution ways but to build up completely (!) new infrastructure for the Cyberhobby line. I have the feeling, that the kit is just not available (let alone at the LHS).

And, as many people rely on the internet and do not find reviews they rather wait to spend 50+ Dollars when they already have the "not-that-bad" Eduard kit in the stack...

But that's just my 2 ct ....

So keep at the project, post pictures, show how nice the kit is, but to not hide anything that might be suboptimal..

all the best

Steffen
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 09:48 PM UTC
Whilst the CyberHobby/Dragon kit looks nice, i have to admit that i still prefer the Eduard kit simply because of it's better surface detail. From close ups of the Dragon version i can tell that it has the Chinese style "wider and softer" engraved detail. Eduard do it more like Hasegawa...sharper and narrower, less exagerated rivets.
The problem where i am is that Dragon stuff tends to be quite cheap, Eduard stuff costs more.

And speaking of Hasegawa, my vote for most underated model of recent imes is the Hasegawa F1M2 "Pete"...the best model aircraft kit i've ever built, and how much hype has there been for that one? How many people will ever build it?

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Hi Andrew

Well, can't compare the two 110s and for this build log it is also not really necessary. As far as I remember the Dragon was o.k. (i.e. not like Hobbyboss or Trumpeter) and IMO the eduard is sometimes too delicate. That said, I am a big fan of the Eduard Bf110 (I have 6 or 7), but since some improvements to the Dragon mold I am looking forward to get this kit too ... one day.

I agree that the Pete is one of the best kits that Hasegawa issued. Problem it is a biplane and with the PE not that easy to construct (mine is started - as most of my kits - but not done)

cheers

Steffen
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
I picked up this kit for forty bucks US and was amazed at the contents- piles of sprues and masses of detail. I got the set with the engines as well- marvelous! I had been hoping to grab the Italieri's Ar196, but comparing the kit to the price ($50)- I sadly set it back down. Squadron will have a special on it someday...
AndreasBeck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
A clear advantage of the Dragon kit in comparison to the ED is the width of the rear fuselage (behind the cockpit section). The Eduard kit is much too shallow (even worse than the Fujimi), wouldn´t work with a real plane. The "upper curve" from the fuselage sides to the top is a bit sharp, this must be sanded - an item that is more confidental with the Fujimi and the ED kit. The cross-section of this part of the plane as a close relation to that of the 109.
The nose looks better than the ED which appears to be too long (Fujimi`s is too short).
As on the ED kit the kink on the trailing edge of the main wing is missing (but it appears correctly on the Fujimi). BUT I have to consider that ED might have changed the moulds. I saw a G-4 in a show which had the kink (my two kits of early production runs don´t have them).
Can`t tell on the engines/nacelles now.
Cheers
Andreas
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Becki

wie hat's dich denn hier her verschlagen?

viele Grüße aus dem Südwesten

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Andreas

Yes, welcome aboard - it's great to have you with us.

You're quite right about the change in dihedral being missing on the trailing edge. Oddly enough, I thought Dragon had included it, but I've just checked both the parts and CAD images they've sent me for future releases and it's not there. I'll e-mail our contact tomorrow to point it out - maybe there's a chance it can be incorporated.

My early-model Eduard '110s are all boxed away, but the kink is present and correct on my 'G2.

All the best

Rowan
AndreasBeck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi,
ach, mit der Dragon 110 will sich sonst keiner auseinandersetzen, nix auf HS,arc,britmod,ffmc etc. pp
Ciao
be
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:08 AM UTC
Ahh, wie ich oben schon schrieb: kaum verbreitet der Bausatz.

So Rowan, you need to focus on this project. BTW Andreas is equally @nal about "minor" details as Gaston

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

My first priority is to finish the Global Hawk. I hope Andreas can put up with my usual haphazard approach - without Jean-Luc to try to keep up with on this one, I won't be racing.

All the best

Rowan
AndreasBeck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,
As you mentioned in your posting above I assume that you have a privileged contact to Dragon (Freddie himself???). Could you please ask them to include a main canopy with blisters (recceV-3 e.a.) in their upcoming 32nd kit ????
Ciao from Berlin
Andreas
 _GOTOTOP