_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Nieuport 28c1 question
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi Guy's

I have been thinking on starting Roden's kit of this in 48 scale ( very nice kit ) , however ; not being one who likes camo all that much . Did the British fly this aircraft and was it re-painted in PC-10 or 12 ? I have the datafile , but didn't find any info on this in there .
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

I finished the 1:32 version a few months ago, also a very nice kit...

As I remember it, the Nie 28 was not a success with the french, and was not ordered – until the AEF badly needed planes, and used the 28s as a quick solution to fill in for the sought after SPAD.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression, that if it had'nt been for the Americans, it would'nt have seen any front line use at all during the war.

But there is always the post war Swiss planes for someting different. I have seen one on display which was entirely in silver grey dope and white crosses on red ground. Pretty striking!

I'm sure somebody else here will know more.

Best Regards

Mikael

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hi Terri:

The camo was probably a standard French camo pattern from the factory. I can't say with certainty, but doubt that the brits used it as they had their own a/c. I did the 1/32nd version and it was a fun build. The only 'problem' is the sold seat, vice the strips of birch seat per prototype.
Aero Scale or Super Scale or some such aftermarket decal maker, makes a good complete set for the model, available through squadron.

Good Luck

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:58 PM UTC
Thanks guy's . Yes I did see the Swiss markings in the datafile and it would look very striking done up that way . But I was just wondering if it was ever painted in PC-10.
I have some profiles the show the spad in a PC-10 finish .

Since I do plan on doing the kit out of box , the seat is an issue isn't . Not much will be seen once the falves are joined , but would look sharpe with a scratched seat !

I think I will try the Swiss ......
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Please don't forget that the US Navy also flew Nieuport 28's.

mIKE
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC

Here is a shot of a US Nieu ^ Sop Strutter being assembled in Cuba.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC

Here they are fully assembled.

Here is my old thread.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
How about a clipped wing I Nieuport from the 1931 re make of Dawn Patrol with Errol flynn and David Niven. Nice Bumblebee Marking on a Silver Doped fuselage......
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a clipped wing I Nieuport from the 1931 re make of Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn and David Niven. Nice Bumblebee Marking on a Silver Doped fuselage......
RAGIII

Didn't they have a two toned camouflage scheme?
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't they have a two toned camouflage scheme?

I wouldn't bet an arm either way
As far as I recall they were overall Aluminum, I will have to double check references.
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thank-you guy's for the suggestions for the US Navy markings . I didn't know they used this aircraft . Will have a look into this more .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Note also the skids on the landing gear.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Note also the skids on the landing gear.

Also the stowed floatation bags under the wings. Some pictures in the old profile and maybe the data file?
RAGIII
Removed by original poster on 06/16/10 - 12:13:40 (GMT).
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Terri,

Model Alliance has released decals for The Aviation Workshop's book "Wings of Stars". On that sheet is a very nice looking Nie.28 of the 213th Aero. While the wings of that aircraft were left in five-color, the fuselage and tail were overpainted. The horizontal tail was white, the vertical tail was the usual red/white/blue, and the fuselage was overpainted blue on the front (metal/wood) areas and red and white stripes on the fabric, rear fuselage.

Review of the decals:
http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/nraviation/Model-Alliance-1-72-and-1-48-Wings-of-Stars.php

Review of the book:
http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/nrbook_reviews/On-Target-Special-Wings-of-Stars.php

I definitely recommend it all if you like USAS/USAAC 'tweener aircraft.
Removed by original poster on 06/18/10 - 12:06:55 (GMT).
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a clipped wing I Nieuport from the 1931 re make of Dawn Patrol with Errol flynn and David Niven. Nice Bumblebee Marking on a Silver Doped fuselage......
RAGIII

This should have read the 1939 remake of the 1931 movie, Dawn patrol. would have just edited the original but didn't see an edit option.
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 09:29 PM UTC
The filmography of the movie says that it was released on Dec. 24, 1938.

". . .Aircraft
Howard Hawks assembled a variety of planes in a film squadron to shoot the flying scenes for the original version of The Dawn Patrol. Hawks used rebuilt Nieuport 28 types as the primary airplane for the British squadron, and Travel Air 4000 types (reconfigured for films and popularly known as "Wichita Fokkers") for German fighters, but other aircraft in his small fleet included Standard J-1 types for shots of entire squadrons, some of which were blown up in explosions, and Waterman-Boeing C biplanes for German aircraft destroyed in crashes. The scene in which Scott takes off with Courtney clinging to the wing switches to a shot of a Travel Air 4U Speedwing fitted with a round cowl over its Comet engine to resemble the Nieuports. Stunt pilots included Leo Nomis, Rupert Symes Macalister, Frank Tomick, and Roy Wilson.

1938 director Goulding used much of this footage in the remake to save production costs. For new closeups of airplanes with his own actors, he acquired three Nieuport 28 replicas from Garland Lincoln, a Van Nuys, California, stunt pilot who also recreated World War I aircraft for Hollywood films. Built by Claude Flagg, these "LF-1" types were constructed from Nieuport plans and had many characteristics of the actual aircraft, including upper wing fabric that ripped in dives. In Goulding's production these aircraft also appear in a few scenes of Nieuports taking off, landing, and taxiing. Additional Nieuport 28 types were simulated by Thomas-Morse S-4C Scouts, and two were used in the flying scene in which Courtney and Scott attack the German airdrome. 59th Squadron's airplanes were marked in standard RFC camouflage and national insignia, had the marking "NIEU 24 E" painted on their tail fins, and displayed a cartoon Hornet painted on each side of the fuselage just behind the cockpit.

For scenes at the German airdrome in which aircraft were moved or had engines turning, Goulding used Wichita Fokkers painted black with German markings. His "Pfalzes" had their wings painted in a large and striking red and white checkerboard pattern. Goulding also acquired two genuine Pfalz D.XII fighters for static closeup shots of parked fighters, with at least one re-painted white in a later scene to "expand" their numbers. Actual Nieuport 28 types and Pfalz D.XII types were used much later in the war than the 1915 setting of The Dawn Patrol, and the model 28 Nieuport was not used by the RFC at all, but their familiarity of appearance to American audiences gave a verisimilitude to both films. . ." from Wikipedia.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
Intersting , I have never seen the movie Dawn Partol and will have to go and check this out .

Was also trying to find out if the US Navy had them on floats ...........................
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC
Terri,
I doubt that the Navy had any Nieuport 28's with conventional floats.Some if not all would have been equipted with floatation bags in case of ditching at sea.See the Nie28 photo Stephen posted earlier showing the 28 being loaded to the platform atop the "C" turret .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Intersting , I have never seen the movie Dawn Partol and will have to go and check this out .

Was also trying to find out if the US Navy had them on floats ...........................

A classic film you need to see! By the way My only copy is on VHS. I do not have a player anymore. If anyone has the ability I would loan it to them to make a co.. on DVD. You could keep the original.
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A classic film you need to see! By the way My only copy is on VHS. I do not have a player anymore. If anyone has the ability I would loan it to them to make a co.. on DVD. You could keep the original.
RAGIII

I would take you up on that offer , but I nolonger have a VHS player , got ride of it years ago !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
NETFLIX has Dawn patrol on DVD. It is a great flick, considering the time and the acting of the day, anothr great flick is Howard Hughes Hells Angels, some great aerial shot at the end of the movie, and not bad acting considering 'talkies' had just come into vogue.
budpearson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Terri,
That kit is the second one I did after an 18 year hiatus. It's a beatiful little kit. The seat should be replaced, but it is lattice, not wicker. I used the PART pe set, and it comes with a beautiful seat, but the cockpit opening is so small, the seat is all you see once she's all closed up. You could probably scratch a lattice seat using relly thin strips of brass. Sheet plastic would be to thick. The Swiss bird would be cool looking.
Cheers,
Bud
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri,
That kit is the second one I did after an 18 year hiatus. It's a beatiful little kit. The seat should be replaced, but it is lattice, not wicker. I used the PART pe set, and it comes with a beautiful seat, but the cockpit opening is so small, the seat is all you see once she's all closed up. You could probably scratch a lattice seat using relly thin strips of brass. Sheet plastic would be to thick. The Swiss bird would be cool looking.
Cheers,
Bud

Hi Bud . Yes the seat will get re-done in the lattice matter and seatbelts will be added . Other then that not much will be added . After some more projects are off the bench I will be starting this one , need a break for the detailing . Have a few out of the box builds planned . So just trying to plan things out and get some options , but yeah the swiss one will looking really cool done up in silver, white,red and easy to mask the markings .

Nice to see you on the forums
 _GOTOTOP